Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I use ddos protection at home? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I use ddos protection at home?

Comments

• regular commercial / home ISP is gonna be real tough to get quality ddos preotection. You need a large provider specialized at it to be able to give you that kind of protection. A home connection will always get hit with a ddos, just watch some of the streamers out there that get it done to them all the time

• @Francisco said:
    Don't worry, you'll get your dose of cancer soon, i'm sure.

the feeling when black hat scrypt kiddies knock your company site down with a damn 800gbps attack... OVH has null routed the ips on my 3 vpses like 7 times

• sinsin Member

@rokok said:

I'm tempted to open a support ticket with my provider asking them which brand of condom they recommend for optimal ddos protection.

• It's winter, colocating some servers at home could serve a home heating purpose.

I miss sweating in my bedroom at my parents house with a few P4s running

Thanked by 2Kris incloudibly
  • KrisKris Member
    edited January 2016

doughmanes said: I miss sweating in my bedroom at my parents house with a few P4s running

I keep my P4 3.4 Extreme Edition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Gallatin_.28Extreme_Edition.29 heatsink on my desk. It's a work of art almost. Was from a Dell XPS Gen One tower.

Whatever the cool silver one was that had LED colors.

That thing is a tribute to the good old days of American computing before wattage and TDP mattered.

EDIT: Formatting wonky on that link.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • doughmanes said: I miss sweating in my bedroom at my parents house with a few P4s running

I have a few of these running 24/7 and have to keep the heat off (anything that says Bare Metal) : http://browser.primatelabs.com/user/s60/

• @dragon2611 said:
    Marketing at it's finest, that feature won't do s**t against a real DDOS

Note that is says "DOS" and not "DDOS" :-)

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited January 2016

Yeah, there are 4 PCs running in my basement and my feet are still cold. And this winter is actually deemed as a lightweight one in Canada.
    Nothing that few jumping jacks wouldn't fix.

Back on topic:

• forget about the DOS option in the ASUS router; I was actually able to crash the router when this option was on during a remote nmap port scan routine. This could've been a bug in older firmware but I still would not turn it on even for regular day-to-day home internet usage. So never mind this helping you when a real DDOS hits you

• previous posters already mentioned this, but let me repeat - mitigation of DDOS attacks is not a thing you do from your home with a single or even with 2 or more redundant home internet connections; if someone wants to DDOS your site hosted at home, they won't even have to try hard - you'll be knocked off the grid in matter off minutes. You can actually get yourself in trouble with your ISP provider very quickly this way

• hiding yourself behind reverse proxy may be an option but you better be really careful not to divulge any info about your real server location in the web server headers or through social reverse engineering, however this trick will require your proxy server to have real DDOS protection

• jhjh Member

wlambrechts said: Note that is says "DOS" and not "DDOS" :-)

Purchase second Asus router with Ethernet bondage?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

@NickL said:
    I think you should let the OP make his own decisions. I also don't think that it is a terrible idea, for $5 the OP can get a DDoS protected reverse proxy

Righttttttttt.

• AthenaLayer is a reputable provider of DDoS protected reverse proxies, thanks for bringing that to the attention of the OP!

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

For all home? As in you want to protect yourself while gaming as well, and other activities?

You will want a Tunnel, although that requires a non consumer or 'hackable' router (anything running OpenWRT or a SMB/Enterprise router might have support). Or a Linux / FreeBSD / Windows (not ideal) Gateway machine.

In simple terms, a reverse proxy will forward the traffic to your specified address (i.e home network), it won't protect anything you want to do on the internet (browse websites, game, irc etc).

• @SplitIce said:
    For all home? As in you want to protect yourself while gaming as well, and other activities?

He wants to run a server/host stuff at home. It's a bad idea with or without ddos protection.

edited January 2016

@Jonchun, Indeed it is not the best idea, but we have all done it at times.

What is specified not necessarily the only requirement he has :)

Additionally, I dont know if its OP, but I have a support ticket from a week ago that reads fairly similar and includes that requirement.

• Just get a DDoS protected VPS and OpenVPN to it.

• Try http://dosarrest.com :) they have you covered^^

• @Kris said:
    Note that is says "DOS" and not "DDOS" :-)

Opps that's what you get when trying to do several things at once/not paying attention... That said I wouldn't trust it against a DOS attack either. Anti-Dos signatures on consumer routers are usually only good at blocking legitimate traffic.

Dos/Ddos protection needs to be further up in the network.

@dragon2611 Ive got a ASUS Router with ASUSWRT, I tried that option. Seems to be a new connection rate limit.

• dragon2611 said: Dos/Ddos protection needs to be further up in the network.

quoted the wrong person, that was @wlambrechts

• @NickL, I am simply making reference of your posts' similarities to your website.

• @Kris yep that sounds like the kinda mistake I'd make.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited January 2016

Anyone know of any ddos protected reverse proxies in Europe? I'm guessing that athenalayer company has US based servers?

• @krs360 said:
    Anyone know of any ddos protected reverse proxies in Europe? I'm guessing that athenalayer company has US based servers?

Yes, our servers are located in the US at this time, but should still have great EU latency.

• edited January 2016

@NickL said:

snip

• @TinyTunnel_Tom

Unnecessary.

Thanked by 1NickL
  • @Ishaq said:
    TinyTunnel_Tom

Unnecessary.

I meant it politely, I just could not find a better way or putting it

• I beg of you to not use AthenaLayer.

A VPN will probably do you better in the long run, just get one that has dedicated IPs.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

@NickL said:
    latency

How would you know? You don't even operate in Europe and you most certainly don't have your own peers. You claim to be the industry leader but nobody knew about you until you spammed your posts here. You run your services on a $3/mo VPS from OVH but claim to dislike OVH. You said that you have a 100% uptime guarantee but you said that there was downtime from OVH. I just don't get it; do us all a favor and shut your crappy DDoS protection service down. While you're at it, you can start by posting in the Cest Pit and only the pit. EDIT: don't even post there, you'll ruin the flow of discussion.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

krs360 said: Anyone know of any ddos protected reverse proxies in Europe?

I'm sure there are. Plenty of DDoS mitigation services in Europe. We got ours from DDoS-Guard and they are fending off attacks well in excess of 30G for sustained periods.

If your requirements or budget is small (i.e. less than $300 /month), you probably want to deal with a 'reseller'. We use them to protect an entire network so I suppose we are a sort of 'reseller' in a way.

• @doghouch said:
    I just don't get it; do us all a favor and shut your crappy DDoS protection service down. While you're at it, you can start by posting in the Cest Pit and only the pit.

How I think he will do it

1) Shut down DDoS Protection service

2) Leave LET

3) Sends DDoS to LET (a trillion packets, omg!!!!)

4) Comes back and advertise DDoS Protection service to the admins

5) Profit??!!!

Thanked by 1doghouch