Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any KVM servers in Singapore that I can install OpenVZ on?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any KVM servers in Singapore that I can install OpenVZ on?

smansman Member
edited January 2016 in General

Only requirement besides OVZ is multiple IP's for the OVZ containers.

Would only need 4GB + maybe 80GB storage to start. 4IPs in addition to server IP.

I am not looking for low end so budget should not be a problem if they can provide the above features. Just needs to be less expensive than dedicated hardware.

Singapore prices for dedicated are still too high. I'm hoping that OVH opening up a datacenter there will change that but remains to be seen.

Comments

• I'm testing ExpertVM, we'll see.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Vultr

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Vultr

Vultr isn't in SG. DO is, but they don't offer additional IPs

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:

My bad! Sorry! Always confuse on which one have Tokyo and SG. :(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Waiting for OP's offers.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Linode has SG location with KVM.

• SimplerCloud?

• Would work on our clouds too, tho running openVZ inside KVM will be 'moderately bad' performance wise...

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@hostnoob said:

Can't run OVZ on DO because you can't run a custom kernel. There is a hacky kludgey way of doing it that I read about someone doing as a proof of concept. Not anything I would do for production.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@davidgestiondbi said:
    Vultr

Vultr isn't in Singapore. First place I checked. They appear to have something in Japan but that's not gonna work for me.

• @sman said:
    Can't run OVZ on DO because you can't run a custom kernel. There is a hacky kludgey way of doing it that I read about someone doing as a proof of concept. Not anything I would ever try do for production.

Are you sure? I ran ovz in KVM boxes from LE providers who are using SolusVM, and it was fine, though only testing not for production. Is DO much different than that? Time for me to try it now

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Are you sure? I ran ovz in KVM boxes from LE providers who are using SolusVM, and it was fine, though only testing not for production. Is DO much different than that? Time for me to try it now

You cannot run custom kernels on DO and if you can't run a custom kernel you can't run OVZ.

For the keyboard commandos who will google this and become an expert on it in 5min to tell me I am wrong, yes I am aware of hackey kudgey ways that make it theoretically possible.

• @sman said:

I actually didn't know that you couldn't install a custom kernel using command line. I thought what they meant is that you can't directly install one from the host side, like via their control panel. Guess I am wrong.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    I actually didn't know that you couldn't install a custom kernel using command line. I thought what they meant is that you can't directly install one from the host side, like via their control panel. Guess I am wrong.

Technically I think what they are doing is preventing control of grub. So some people have found hackey kludgey ways around that.

My guess is one of the reasons they do that is to prevent people from running OpenVZ. So it's probably against their terms of service anyways. If I can't get multiple IP's then that's the final nail in that idea.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@perennate said:
    Linode has SG location with KVM.

Will look into that. Thanks for the info.

• @sman said:
    My guess is one of the reasons they do that is to prevent people from running OpenVZ. So it's probably against their terms of service anyways. If I can't get multiple IP's then that's the final nail in that idea.

Honestly, I don't think it would be against their TOS, since running OVZ inside KVM isn't that much of an issue. Even most LE KVM providers allow that, so...

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@sman said:

How about running it on Xen as it is a type 1 hypervisor and has an isolated environment? We do have several experiences in the past with this typo.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@winnervps said:

We have not plans to ever use Xen. Just KVM and OpenVZ and the eventual successor to OpenVZ (Virtuozzo).

On that note looks like Linode uses Xen and nobody there recommends using OpenVZ on it. Looks like trying to get extra IP's might be a problem as well.

• @William said:
    I'm testing ExpertVM, we'll see.

Thanks for this one. They check all the boxes so it's a possibility.

• @AutoSnipe said:
    SimplerCloud?

They don't seem to have an option for additional IPs which is usually a bad sign.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Honestly, I don't think it would be against their TOS, since running OVZ inside KVM isn't that much of an issue. Even most LE KVM providers allow that, so...

DO has a special panel where you are allowed to choose kernels they provided. They provide distro kernel, but not the OpenVZ one. So LXC/nspawn is probably OK, but no VZs.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @msg7086 said:
    DO has a special panel where you are allowed to choose kernels they provided. They provide distro kernel, but not the OpenVZ one. So LXC/nspawn is probably OK, but no VZs.

+1

• @msg7086 said:

But then what about kernel updates from yum or apt-get? Does the VM simply not boot from the new kernel?

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@msg7086 said:

Correct. LXC isn't production ready and is not a replacement for OpenVZ feature for feature. At least not yet. I am aware that people are experimenting with it and can run containers etc. I'm not experimenting.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    But then what about kernel updates from yum or apt-get? Does the VM simply not boot from the new kernel?

Been awhile since I used DO but I believe that is correct. I think you can only boot from the grub they give you. Also means you cannot customize kernel boot parameters. There are some hackey kludgey ways to try get around those limitations but nothing mainstream as far as I know.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2016

With DO you use kexec to boot other kernels

This is one of the several articles about that: http://0wned.it/2014/08/27/custom-kernel-on-a-digitalocean-droplet-the-right-way/

Edit: And a more simple one: https://gist.github.com/cpuguy83/6143347

I run proxmox 3 in two DO instances with production sites and no issues.

Thanked by 2aglodek msg7086