Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice: Dedicated 2x Intel 5420 vs i5-750
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice: Dedicated 2x Intel 5420 vs i5-750

HWAYSHWAYS Member
edited January 2016 in Help

Hello

I have now a Delimiter ProLiant BL260c G5 with 2 x Intel 5420 with 16GB RAM, 1 TB SATA (my regular price is 20 USD/month).
I've seen another offer (Servdiscount) based on i5-3450 with 16 GB RAM, 2x1 TB SATA (32 USD/month).

Of course, I cannot compare as they are the cpu banchmarks as they are alike (around 6500 points).
My server, has around 6 WP websites.

I live in Europe and many clients are based here. As you know Delimiter has the DC in Atlanta and Servdiscount in Germany as I know.
Nothing to complain on Delimiter, on contrary, though I would like to know your opinion on this second system.

Of course, any network comparing would be perfect.

But, taking into account both systems, which is better in terms of performance.
Thank you.

Comments

• The i5-750 CPU will be much faster for you, perhaps 70% faster overall.

• Single thread benchmarks are what matters for faster execution time on php.
    • Also if your users are in Europe, you gain in latency which will make the sites feel faster due to the reduced http response times.
    • It has 4 cores vs 8 cores, but if you're using NGINX there's not much benefit using more than 4 anyway.

Having said that, Servdiscount network is not that good, even within europe.
    They are also know to make it difficult to cancel (google a bit) and require you to cancel well in advance.

Delimiter is a good deal because it's cheaper and the network is better (downloads).
    Servdiscount is better for processing performance (faster page loading).
    Together with free cloudflare, both should be good choices.

Thanked by 2mike0000 MarkTurner
  • If you're running an optimized WP stack you shouldn't notice a huge difference in load times, especially for only a handful of sites.

If you're concerned about the distance and moving large files you can look at CDN options, including WordPress.com's free CDN - https://jetpack.me/support/photon/ - which allows you to offload your media from a self-hosted WordPress blog onto the Automattic/WP.com CDN (Which has PoPs in Europe). Cloudflare is another option as @gratispt mentioned.

My (biased) opinion would be to save the $12/mo and stick with Delimiter :)

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • If you're doing Wordpress, then it comes down to basics:

i5-3450 is a 4 core uni-processor vs Dual E5420 gives you 8 cores. If you setup your webserver, MySQL server and potentially Varnish (for acceleration) then more cores will help you.

I expect you would do better to drop the HDD and install an SSD on your Delimiter server and divide up the cores properly to serve the various daemons.

I've done some server tuning on those BL260c's and you can get a lot of performance out of those blades.

• I'd never let go of that $20/mo server considering you'll have to pay $30/mo for it if you order a new one now....

• Thank you, guys. Really helpful. Thank you Mark and Mike (I will do more customization, I like Delimiter), you are right wwabbit, that offer was killing.

• Yeah, I got one too just to join the me too crowd.

HWAYS said: Thank you, guys. Really helpful. Thank you Mark and Mike (I will do more customization, I like Delimiter), you are right wwabbit, that offer was killing.