Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some advice

birdie25birdie25 Member
edited January 2013 in Help

I'm planning to start up a Minecraft server. It's currently in development on a 2.5GB OpenVZ with @GetKVM_Ash , but I expect to need SAS15k or even SSD for my IO needs. What would be better: A 4GB RAM SSD/Sas15k VPS, or a small dedicated server with SSD. Budget is around 20/30€ a month. Offers are also welcome, both here and in my PM box. Preferably in the EU too.

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited January 2013

For minecraft i would use an SSD for optimal speeds of your server and no lag
    You could take a VPS with an SSD

• jhjh Member

I can do a 4GB RAM SSD VPS in the UK for £30/month assuming you don't need masses of disk space or bandwidth.

• For your budget you can get only a ssd vps not a dedicated.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I do Minecraft hosting in addition to our VPS servers. Could do 4Gb on our SSD minecraft nodes for €30.

• We might have something for you if you open a ticket we can speak about it tomorrow :)

• wdqwdq Member

I have a small server that I play on with a few friends. It is OpenVZ with 2.5GB of RAM. 1GB for the server and 1GB of ramdisk for the data. It works well.

• Check this out:
    http://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs
    Intel ATOM 230 - 2x1,6Ghz
    1GB RAM
    30GB SSD
    8,80 euros a month in France.

• @Freek said: Check this out:

http://www.digicube.fr/rapidserveurs
    Intel ATOM 230 - 2x1,6Ghz
    1GB RAM
    30GB SSD
    8,80 euros a month in France.

This is cheap, what payment method accepted?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Atom 230and only 1 GB ram, might be cheap, but will not cover the requirements.

• Well I am not sure how RAM/CPU intensive minecraft is. I always thought it was I/O hungry. Something you don't want on a VPS.

• offer is pmed to you.

• @Freek said: Well I am not sure how RAM/CPU intensive minecraft is. I always thought it was I/O hungry. Something you don't want on a VPS

IO hungry if you don't have enough ram I suppose.

• @Freek said: I always thought it was I/O hungry. Something you don't want on a VPS.

It's CPU hungry mostly. Then RAM. I/O isn't as much since things get loaded to RAM.

• I wouldn't recommend using a VPS for a Minecraft server.

Your issue will be CPU, not RAM. Minecraft does not hesitate to eat a full core up and keep it that way.

Would have to go with a Minecraft specific VPS or server.

@Freek said: Well I am not sure how RAM/CPU intensive minecraft is. I always thought it was I/O hungry. Something you don't want on a VPS.

It is both....... It will gladly use up a full CPU core and keep it that way.

RAM wise, it all depends on how many players and if you're running mods, etc.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Freek that is crazy cheap - $11.75/mo for a dedi with unlim bandwidth.

If only I spoke French...

• @raindog308 said: If only I spoke French...

Google Translate should suffice for the order process I guess