Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best OVH Datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best OVH Datacenter?

VPSAddictVPSAddict Member
edited January 2016 in General

Hello friends. I currently have two VPS with OVH, a 2014 model and a 2016 model. I am going to need another VPS for one of my projects and I would like to know your thoughts on the best datacenter. Currently, you can pick from two locations. The first location being Beauharnois, Canada and the second location being Gravelines, France. I will likely encounter a couple DDoS attacks every month so it's important I pick a datacenter with on-site DDoS protection to have minimal latency. I know Beauharnois, CA and Roubiax, France both have 160Gbps DDoS protection on-site so that should lower latency and be faster/more efficient protection. I plan on using this server for both production and personal use. For my game servers and VoIP servers I suspect I will have around 50% of players from North America and about 50% from Europe.

Some links to check out to come up with a decision:

https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/anti-ddos/hoovering-up.xml

https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/anti-ddos/surplus-network.xml

Which is the best (all around) OVH VPS location?
  1. Which is the best (all around) OVH VPS location?31 votes
    1. Beauharnois, Canada
      41.94%
    2. Gravelines, France
      58.06%

Comments

• If you've got visitors from both sides then get both locations and have a GeoDNS setup so the user doing the query gets the closest server. Neither of the locations are going to be the best for all of your visitors.

• VPSAddictVPSAddict Member
    edited January 2016

@Ishaq said:
    If you've got visitors from both sides then get both locations and have a GeoDNS setup so the user doing the query gets the closest server. Neither of the locations are going to be the best for all of your visitors.

But if you had to choose ONE location... Which would it be?

• If your audience is split 50/50 between the US and Europe I'd go for Beauharnois. Purely because of geographical distance latency from the west coast of the US to Roubaix is going to be worse than latency from anywhere in Europe to Beauharnois.

Thanked by 1VPSAddict
  • @Dylan said:
    If your audience is split 50/50 between the US and Europe I'd go for Beauharnois. Purely because of geographical distance latency from the west coast of the US to Roubaix is going to be worse than latency from anywhere in Europe to Beauharnois.

I only have an option of Beauharnois and Gravelines. Would that change your mind?

• sinsin Member

I always choose BHS

• @sin said:
    I always choose BHS

If you don't mind me asking... Where is the majority of your players/visitors located and are you often a target of DDoS attacks? If so, has the DDoS protection accidentally blocked legit visitors/players to your knowledge?

• @VPSAddict said:
    I only have an option of Beauharnois and Gravelines. Would that change your mind?

Sorry, I did mean to say Gravelines. There's basically no difference, anyways: Roubaix and Gravelines are barely 50 miles apart.

Thanked by 1VPSAddict
  • Alright thanks for everyone's opinion/votes. I have decided to choose the Beauharnois location. For some odd reason, I thought Beauharnois was located somewhere in the center of Canada but I was wrong. It appears Beauharnois is a perfect location for players/visitors located in Canada, United States and for the majority of Europe.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • OVH Paris

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I'd wait for their new DC in ashburn, but for now i'd go BHS.

• sinsin Member

@msg7086 said:
    I'd wait for their new DC in ashburn, but for now i'd go BHS.

I can't wait until they get their Ashburn DC up and running

Thanked by 1VPSAddict