Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know someone like LunaNode (feature-wise) but US-based?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone know someone like LunaNode (feature-wise) but US-based?

e.g. The full openstack suite for networking [Floating IPs, Load Balancing, Firewalls] and reasonably priced SSD VMs.

Thanks

Comments

• How about Linode or BuyVM? I think they might support some of those features

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

I think you're going to have to create some of that yourself with any similarly priced company, honestly. Firewall you can handle internally or create a server that handles the traffic and passes it on to another server. Load balancing, HAProxy. Floating IPs, a little more difficult. We have those at DigitalOcean, at least. BuyVM has them too.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Proper load balancing (more than a single port, UDP, etc) is something I want to get in place sometime this year. I had plans to roll it out last year but i had a bunch of people crying that they wanted it to be more than just TCP, so I've had to change up what I had in mind.

We don't have hosted firewalls either, i've thought about it but not sure if it's something people would really use.

Yes on SSD's, floating/failover IP's, anycast, etc.

Francisco

• iNapiNap Member
    edited January 2016

@Jonchun said:
    How about Linode or BuyVM? I think they might support some of those features

I currently use Linode but I'm tired of them getting hacked, lying and/or using gag orders to delay the reveal for 6+ months.

BuyVM has 80-90% but as Franciso said, they are missing the LB capability. Since this is hobby stuff, I'm not sure being pissed at Linode is worth the time/energy to build my own LB setup.

Thanks tho. :)

Francisco said: Proper load balancing (more than a single port, UDP, etc) is something I want to get in place sometime this year. I had plans to roll it out last year but i had a bunch of people crying that they wanted it to be more than just TCP, so I've had to change up what I had in mind.

Yeah, customers suck except for the fact they pay the bills. I think we all can agree on that. ;)

If the truth is I have to build something, maybe I'll have time in 6-12 months.

jarland said: I think you're going to have to create some of that yourself with any similarly priced company, honestly. Firewall you can handle internally or create a server that handles the traffic and passes it on to another server. Load balancing, HAProxy. Floating IPs, a little more difficult. We have those at DigitalOcean, at least. BuyVM has them too.

Thanks but yeah, building things is exactly what I'm trying to avoid if at all possible. ;)

@iNap said:

LB's are something we're for sure working on.

If you're just LB'ing TCP, it's easy enough to just use haproxy/etc.

Hosted LB's are well on their way, it's mostly just a thing of designing it to support all the features we offer :) 'anycasted load balancers' starts to get a little mental.

Francisco

• Francisco said: If you're just LB'ing TCP, it's easy enough to just use haproxy/etc.

Yeah. I just was setup to manage failover via the Lindoe api and replacing it will take time since I can't prioritize it since this is just something I do for fun. :)

Fwiw, I think you'll probably win because it lets me play around with Anycast and it sounds like I'm correct that no one has it.

Would you say your 8GB OpenVZ plans were comparable to Linode in terms of performance? Or should I stick with your KVM option that costs about double Linode's prices? ;)

@iNap said:
    Would you say your 8GB OpenVZ plans were comparable to Linode in terms of performance? Or should I stick with your KVM option that costs about double Linode's prices? ;)

Both work well, performance will be good on either product line. KVM's cost more but with the upgrades due users get ~dedicated CPU resources. Windows also isn't cheap :P

Francisco

• Francisco said: Both work well, performance will be good on either product line. KVM's cost more but with the upgrades due users get ~dedicated CPU resources. Windows also isn't cheap :P

I already maintain one dedicated Windows server in my life. That is one too many. :P

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • sinsin Member

Lunanode rocks so much. Their Toronto location has worked out pretty well for my mainly US visitor website(s) but it would be cool if they had a nice U.S. location :).

Thanked by 1iNap
  • @sin said:
    Lunanode rocks so much. Their Toronto location has worked out pretty well for my mainly US visitor website(s) but it would be cool if they had a nice U.S. location :).

Yeah, I ended up going with them.

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

iNap said: Yeah, I ended up going with them.

Nice, hope you like them :)

Thanked by 1iNap
  • @iNap a bit late, but this is exactly what we offer in Atlanta: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/cloud-resource-pool/

Although it's full HA with NVMe-accelerated Ceph storage, not local SSDs, but ridiculously fast.

• @mikeyur said:
    iNap a bit late, but this is exactly what we offer in Atlanta: https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/cloud-resource-pool/

Although it's full HA with NVMe-accelerated Ceph storage, not local SSDs, but ridiculously fast.

Do you offer load balancing and firewalls with this? Is there an API available as well?

• @amhoab said:
    Do you offer load balancing and firewalls with this? Is there an API available as well?

Yes, we have load balancing, router/firewall per customer network, there is an API including a late-beta grade AWS compatible layer.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mikeyur said:
    Yes, we have load balancing, router/firewall per customer network, there is an API including a late-beta grade AWS compatible layer.

Do you have any documentation available for this, with features? Also, do you have the availability zone concept for your VPS line, like AWS does?