Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net packet loss - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net packet loss

2»

Comments

• sinsin Member
    edited January 2016

Kris said: Do this on both sides, source IP to server, server to source IP. Then you will have some useful information for support, and see if it's a false positive, or on their side

Glad I did something sorta right then...I had an issue with a slow connection to my Leaseweb VPS but I wasn't sure what info they would need so I just sent them an mtr from my home to the VPS and from the VPS to my home and the replied a little later on that they got in touch with Verizon and fixed the route for me (and sure enough the connection improved A TON).

Thanked by 1Kris
  • @doughmanes said:
    Trying to avoid a certain somebody doing a chargeback against Online like how he did to other providers. Granted, the response from Online probably wasn't great but 5+ minute MTRs confirm the "loss" at hops which is deprioritization with HE however if you run a MTR from a provider who connects to Cogent, there's no issue.

Online deserve as many disputes against them as humanly possible. They're a terrible company. The only other provider he disputed against was Wholesale Internet and he had every right to do so.

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 2016

sin said: Glad I did something sorta right then...I had an issue with a slow connection to my Leaseweb VPS but I wasn't sure what info they would need so I just sent them an mtr from my home to the VPS and from the VPS to my home and the replied a little later on that they got in touch with Verizon and fixed the route for me (and sure enough the connection improved A TON).

From a decade of help desk support, thank you. I've had more pings thrown at me than any network operator ever would want with 'FIX IT' and I'm a sysadmin. Even after explaining how, no one wants to MTR one way, let alone both (most helpful)

To be honest, even one way helps us get an IP 'on your side' of things, which a network admin who cares enough can likely use to do the reverse MTR himself.

One company I previously worked at was a known go-to provider when you just wanted a VPS done right. Never oversold, 3-4 uplinks per location. They would tweak the route for you in real-time to fix it or optimize for you, 3 times even if necessary and they had the ability. Their Asia location and flexibility to help with routes made me a quasi-networking guy, and essentially a network tech at my most previous job.

Providers who only have one uplink at all locations and will not be able to do such, and blame it on your ISP. I'd blame your hosting provider if they didn't have at least one other route to try, or time to bother. They obviously should when claiming multi-homed.

I still keep my BGP session and a few servers there. Why? Because I built the servers. When I had the time between tickets, I would over-engineer builds. Spending 10 minutes cleaning the entire CPU and heatsink with Arctic Clean, magic eraser, TSP & microfiber for a 100% adhesion of CPU paste to the sink. After 5-7 days of stress testing while checking the temperature / health, you know that server will stay online. And they have.

root@local [~]# uptime
     18:11:52 up 315 days, 17:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.18, 0.18, 0.12

I would build my own custom double walled boxes using spray adhesive to make the boxes get to their destination intact. Happened after my boss had to ship a server or two when I was out of state, and lack of double wall meant a router arm got smacked pretty well. Plus it was humid where we shipped from, that doesn't mix for single wall.

From there on in, I used my trusty HP 260 tape to get after it. That stuff is seriously amazing. Doesn't stick to itself, thick 2mil+, makes all other shipping tape worthless. Never had another server or box damaged in transit. LA to Eastern Europe, or Sydney. I used a bit of Gorilla Tape on the sides when shipping outside the US, otherwise boxes were covered in HP 260 overlapping.

I do miss building those things, I love the X56** series. And they don't go down. Refurb + best practices FTW.

edit: 4* cups of coffee. repeating myself. back to DIY.

Thanked by 1sin
  • IThinkUFailed said: Online deserve as many disputes against them as humanly possible. They're a terrible company. The only other provider he disputed against was Wholesale Internet and he had every right to do so.

In response, there is FraudRecord and when he finds himself constantly cancelled or turned away theres only so many providers to go to at the budget sought after.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I just checked myself, and I am clear. Only ever issued 1 charge back, and that was because WSI were not responding.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I haven't disputed Online, but that's because they actually communicate with their clients...

• @doughmanes said:
    In response, there is FraudRecord and when he finds himself constantly cancelled or turned away theres only so many providers to go to at the budget sought after.

FraudRecord is honestly a flawed system. My name is on there but I've never used that host and that nearly got me turned away. Nothing else matched except name.