Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP providers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP providers

2»

Comments

• Mathias said: Since the last router switch it has been removed. We might bring it back in the future. Probably with a small setup-fee, but no recurring costs.

Did someone actually ever get it though? I waited a full year and ultimately let my VPS expire shortly before being sent by you it is not anymore available and removed from the website.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

@William, why is Vultr missing on the list?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

patrick7 said: why is Vultr missing on the list?

Right.

I actually forgot them (back then there was no BGP) however now that i remember i will currently not list them for weird whitelisting techniques - if i have my /29 IPv6 whitelisted no one else can use ANY space inside this at Vultr anymore for BGP. Thus it is not usable with the IP6.IM allocated space by default and not listed.

They can correct that and i gladly list them also.

(no, there is zero technical reason for this, especially as the locations - unlike on M247 - are not networked together outside the US)

Thanked by 1J1021

But it would work with any PI space - maybe you should list it with any remark about that?

• patrick7 said: maybe you should list it with any remark about that?

Not at this time, especially after they continue to send me tickets to remove my IP space as our customers/users are requesting whitelistings. Not interested in the mail flood.

• patrick7 said: why is Vultr missing on the list?

FTR, in FRA I only get a default route and seemingly local peers from Vultr (59 prefixes in total); ATL & SIN give proper feed (v6; ~33k like HE). It's okay for announcing your space, but tricky if you get full feed from somewhere else as well.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

We also offer BGP Sessions (both v4+v6) in Frankfurt with every Root- or Dedicated Server. If someone is interested, dont hesitate to contact me ;-)

Location: Frankfurt am Main, DE Our ASN: AS30823 // bgp.he.net/AS30823 Peers: Core-Backbone (AS33891) / Interwerk (AS197071) / KleyReX IXP Price: 10€ per month + the server itself

edited November 2016

I think on LET (where an expensive VPS is below $7/month), nobody is willing to pay a monthly fee ;-)

@patrick7 said:
    I think on LET (where an averate VPS is below $7/month), nobody is willing to pay a monthly fee ;-)

Depends, we already have some customers from LET which have BGP Sessions with us ;)

• Kabeldamagement said: Price: 10€ per month + the server itself

Not going to list you though - only accepted are setup fees.

There are no recur fees for BGP; you charging it is pointless. Your upstreams build their whitelist automatic as should you and your router - unless of the 6500 era which should not be used anymore - should not have a session limit.

• @wusel said:
    FTR, in FRA I only get a default route and seemingly local peers from Vultr (59 prefixes in total)

That only seems to be the case on IPv6.

root@fvz-arec-de-fra-01:~# birdc show route protocol pub1 count
    BIRD 1.4.5 ready.
    609707 of 609708 routes for 609708 networks
    root@fvz-arec-de-fra-01:~# birdc6 show route protocol pub1 count
    BIRD 1.4.5 ready.
    57 of 58 routes for 58 networks

Thanked by 1wusel

Even if they would only announce a default route to you - in most cases this should be enough. Or how do you plan to multihome on a VPS from which you don't even know in which datacenter it is running? ;-)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

@William said:

Kabeldamagement said: Price: 10€ per month + the server itself

There are no recur fees for BGP; you charging it is pointless. Your upstreams build their whitelist automatic as should you and your router - unless of the 6500 era which should not be used anymore - should not have a session limit.

It's not due to a hardware / software limitation of our equipment, it's more likely due to the higher management work (like building customer facing prefix filters manually) :-)

@Jack said:

@Kabeldamagement said:

@William said:

Kabeldamagement said: Price: 10€ per month + the server itself

It's not due to a hardware / software limitation of our equipment, it's more likely due to the higher management work (like building customer facing prefix filters manually) :-)

Only offer it on certain plans then which make it worth your time or certain billing cycles.

I can understand where you're coming from with building prefix-lists however its not hard to make a bash script to create the syntax for router you use to auto correct create the list based on route objs.

Thats easy with expect scripts, yes of course, but manual work makes such things more failsafe ;)

One of our upstreams built his prefix filters manually in the past, they run a much larger AS as ours.

edited November 2016

Maybe it would be a better idea to charge a setup fee (e.g. 50€) + a fee for each prefix list update, but no monthly fees.

I think most of the customers will be happy with the initial prefix list setup, so why should they pay monthly for others who have a new prefix every second day?

• Kabeldamagement said: like building customer facing prefix filters manually

I predict:

• 90% of your customers are within RIPE area

• 100% of them will have the ability to add you to their ASNs IRR

• All their prefixes should have route objects

Yes, initial whitelisting on your side and your upstreams is work - few emails and some router config, ideally mostly automated, the RIPE DB dump is public - which justifies a setup fee (i paid between 15-100EUR, 100EUR being very high though).

If needed, charge for updates, but charging 10EUR/mo thus 120EUR/yr is not... really justified from any point i can figure out.

• patrick7 said: Even if they would only announce a default route to you - in most cases this should be enough. Or how do you plan to multihome on a VPS from which you don't even know in which datacenter it is running? ;-)

Well, that ::/0 is from 2914, which I find a bit odd ;) OTOH, it serves the purpose, sure.

Yes, multihoming something that doesn't have a second physical link besides the one from the DC operator is kind of silly (you'll loose both "links" on issues with the DC operator's one). Although, if it's only a few hops to an local IX, getting a second, independend, upstream from there could be useful in some edge cases. But then ::/0 does not really help ;)

Kabeldamagement said: but manual work makes such things more failsafe ;)

Well, past experience tells me that anything manual just ensures the likelyhood of errors; but, as always, your mileage may vary.

BTW, would have liked to take the offer, but as 12h after paypaling, payment's still only showing up as received (yay for automatisms) but isn't credited to the account yet (sigh for manual processes), I think it's too expensive: Can't spend my days busy waiting for paid services to be hand-crafted some day or the other ... In contrast, HE added my AS-Set, so now adding another prefix is a click and ~30 seconds wait (besides keeping the AS-Set entry up-to-date).

Kabeldamagement said: but manual work makes such things more failsafe ;)

Well, past experience tells me that anything manual just ensures the likelyhood of errors; but, as always, your mileage may vary.

BTW, would have liked to take the offer, but as 12h after paypaling, payment's still only showing up as received (yay for automatisms) but isn't credited to the account yet (sigh for manual processes), I think it's too expensive: Can't spend my days busy waiting for paid services to be hand-crafted some day or the other ... In contrast, HE added my AS-Set, so now adding another prefix is a click and ~30 seconds wait (besides keeping the AS-Set entry up-to-date).

We manually verify each new customers paypal payment in order to avoid fraud payments. This had worked very good so far and helped us to safe a lot of money, I will look into it shortly ;-)

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited November 2016

Dallas and Seattle
    Only for use on our VPS

AS54540

$30/month or $200/year

https://speedykvm.com/billing/cart.php?gid=6

I think nobody will pay such high prices.