Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vStoike review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vStoike review

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
edited January 2016 in Reviews

I had been a vStoike customer for a year and half.

This is along with Selectel, the only Russian ISP which I have used over the years and I'm kinda happy with. Their pricing is very reasonable and they had been reliable in my experience. My service is stable, only with some network blips from time to time.

Speaking of the network: they have switched upstreams a lot over the last year. I don't know their motivation, but it's a bit weird. Throughput is limited and has always left a bit to be desired: it's usable, but should be better. I suspect they apply some heavy throttling (which is not present for IPv6) among other problems (like today, that I can't pull more than 5 mbps from LeaseWeb). It would be great if those got fixed, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Other hard thing to understand is how AES-NI is not available inside the VMs. It's 2016 and this should be supported. But for the price I'm paying is not like I can complain much about it.

The support is a bit of hit and miss for me. For normal tasks, they are accomplished fast and without problem. They even solved a routing issue which I reported with one of their upstreams within an hour, which was impressive. On the other side, I contacted them twice about the throughput problems and they could've arguably been a bit more helpful, but service is as good as I can get in Rusia for this price anyway.

TL;DR: stable service, decent support, don't expect a lot from the network. Host with them if you need a server in Russia, use a provider in the west if not.

Thanked by 1simonindia

Comments

• I've used them before they increased prices for EU countries.

HDD I/O was great, network not bad, support decent.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Grom said: I've used them before they increased prices for EU countries.

Are you sure? I don't remember seeing a price increase, for the VPS line at least.

• @Grom said:
    I've used them before they increased prices for EU countries.

HDD I/O was great, network not bad, support decent.

By "increased prices for EU countries" you mean charging VAT?

• I've generally been happy with them, although I have found the network performance can be a bit spotty a times.

hostnoob said: By "increased prices for EU countries" you mean charging VAT?

EU VAT? They bill you from Russia, so not applicable.

• @hostnoob said:
    By "increased prices for EU countries" you mean charging VAT?

Nop, they increased prices because of sanctions or something.

edited January 2016

Grom said: Nop, they increased prices because of sanctions or something.

Because the ruble was falling like crazy? Still, I don't see increased USD prices, which is the currency they've always used to bill international customers.

Edit: just to clarify, their prices in rubles are nowadays cheaper when you do the currency exchange. They were pretty close before the ruble started to fall, but I don't see a problem with this or even a bit higher prices for foreigners, it's not like other ISPs which try to charge double or triple. International customers do also use more transit and less peering, among other costs.

• ATM i have no service with them but had one for few months.
    there were no problems during this time, fast support, nice speed, good i/o