Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting started with KVM.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting started with KVM.

alterarchalterarch Member
edited January 2013 in Help

Hey guys,

I am not much of a server person but I do like to muck around with the occasional hobby idea. I have, up till now, been using OpenVZ servers with various providers and I was looking to get into some KVM servers. That being said, I really have no idea where to start looking. I was wondering if you guys could help me out by letting me know what are good specs for certain prices and any cheap providers where I can just play around with a KVM server for a while. I am not looking for anything serious, but anything in excess of 64 mb ram would be fine. Any tips about KVM management and similar topics would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

In my experience I found that Front Range Hosting and NodeDeploy are good KVM providers.

FRH have 256MB KVM for $1.87 here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7290/

• Hey,

We have KVM offers on our website, and I'll be glad to help you out finding the right one.

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2013

The servers function similarly for most uses - the main difference is you have a full kernel and OS, so you need more resources for that, but it also gives you the power to tweak your OS and kernel.

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited January 2013

@ishaq this is probably not the kind of think you want to get into. I will end up needing help quite often, and i would feel bad hassling you. :)

• @alterarch said: @ishaq this is probably not the kind of think you want to get into. I will end up needing help quite often, and i would feel bad hassling you. :)

You won't, there's not many more issues you can run into while using KVM instead of OpenVZ (unless you mess about with your kernel/hard drive).

• @gubbyte yeah, in experimenting, I might actually end up accidentally doing that...