Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualmin/Cloudmin Pro changes their licensing - now available from $6/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualmin/Cloudmin Pro changes their licensing - now available from $6/month

mpkossenmpkossen Member
edited January 2016 in General

See here for the big announcement: http://virtualmin.com/blog/upgrades-abound

TL;DR: Virtualmin Pro and Cloudmin Pro are now available for just $6/month or $60/year for a 10 domain/10 VPS license, with larger packages available for less per domain/VPS. Licenses are now available on monthly payments as well, though annual payments do give you a discount.

As a Virtualmin fan I think this is great news, though my renewal cost is going to increase slightly. It does allow to scale quicker and the unlimited domain license is a lot cheaper now.

For those seeking for an affordable alternative to SolusVM, you are now able to try out Cloudmin (and continue using it if you like it) for OpenVZ without having to purchase a $99 license!

Virtualmin Pricing: https://virtualmin.com/buy/virtualmin

Cloudmin Pricing: https://virtualmin.com/buy/cloudmin

Comments

• Existing customers got treated very, very good with this transition. I had my licenses extended towards 2017; both were due to renew in 2016. That's a one-year free extension! And according to Virtualmin, an additional discount is to come to those with existing licenses...!

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Any feedback for Cloudmin in production environment?

• Nice to see Virtualmin moving forward. The new site is nice too.

• @time4vps cloudmin's pretty good for ovz, supports even 64MB instances. KVM however, have issues with certain network setups, randomly fails.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We use virtualmin GPL extensively. Any specific reason to go for the PRO version? We have never found the need to contact their support team or even post on their forums.

• @leapswitch said:
    We use virtualmin GPL extensively. Any specific reason to go for the PRO version? We have never found the need to contact their support team or even post on their forums.

Easier backups, easier mail relaying (in case the primary server goes down), script installer, advanced statistics, and likely a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

• SwellJoeSwellJoe Member
    edited January 2016

@amarc said:
    Well.. i tried to gave it a chance but.. Runs as root? Creates virtual host user with /bin/sh as shell ? Srsyl ?

I don't know of any control panel that doesn't run as root. Which one did you have in mind that can configure the whole system as a non-privileged user? We do drop privileges as much as feasible, when operating on behalf of the domain owner or other user. If you find anything that is being performed as root that doesn't need to be, we're happy to hear it and improve.

The shell defaults to the default shell on your system (it's bash on my CentOS 7 systems, but would be /bin/sh on Ubuntu, which is actually dash)...so, if your system defaults to /bin/sh, Virtualmin will, too (so you or your distro chose /bin/sh, and Virtualmin respected that choice). It is configurable, like nearly everything else in a Virtualmin system. You can find that configuration option in: System Customization->Custom Shells, where you can choose the default, and available, shells for every type of Virtualmin user.

I think maybe there's just a difference of philosophy that you may be accustomed to. Virtualmin doesn't try to take over your system, it tries to work with it, as much as is possible. We use standard OS packages, with configuration files in standard locations, and it is possible to edit almost everything from the command line without concern for Virtualmin messing it up. We don't replace your system, we work with it (and you can alter just about anything about it). So, if you don't like your distro defaults, you won't like Virtualmin. ;-)

But, if you like your distro, and are familiar with it, Virtualmin should be a very comfortable fit.

All that said, Virtualmin is not for everyone. We built the control panel we wanted about a decade ago, and it's been expanding ever since, as more people have given it a try and found it suited the way they wanted to work and asked for new features. There's plenty of competition out there, and if there's one you're comfortable with, stick with it.

Disclaimer: I work on Virtualmin (if that wasn't obvious).

Cheers,

Joe

edited January 2016

@leapswitch said:

We've always wanted GPL to be a powerful and flexible tool. It isn't intended to be a neutered version of Virtualmin. It isn't merely a demo version of the product; many folks never need or want more, and that's OK.

That said, we do have a silly fondness for luxuries like food and housing, and we like to be able to work on Virtualmin while still eating and not living under bridges. So, we're always hopeful that enough people will buy the Pro version to make economic sense for us to put as much effort into it as we do. So, there are some extra features, enough to make it an excellent value compared to any commercial product on the market, we hope.

The big features of Pro, over GPL:

• Reseller accounts. A separate account type that is able to create and manage new domain accounts.
    • Install Scripts. GPL has 7 (plus a few projects maintain their own), Professional has over 100. These are applications that are super easy to install and configure; it includes all the big ones (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, MediaWiki, etc.) plus lots of others. They are well-maintained (usually within a day or so of updates coming out, we have the new scripts in our repos).
    • More advanced system statistics graphs.
    • Additional cloud backup targets.

And, of course, support is included with every Pro license. We try to help out GPL users in our forums but, by necessity, we prioritize paying customers and hope that the community can pick up the slack for questions from GPL users (and we try to make everything easy to use and well-documented, though that can always be better for such a complex project).

In short, we're a small team trying to make the best software available for the specific task of managing web hosting systems (both shared hosting and virtual machines). We hope folks will be motivated to help out (whether economically by buying our Pro offerings, or with docs, or code, or videos, or whatever).

Sorry if this is sounding like a sales pitch. We obviously want folks to use Virtualmin, whether they're paying us, or not. But, I figured it was worth answering the question about what the differences are, since you asked. ;-)

And, we're all super excited about the positive response to the new theme and website. Both have been in development for a long time, and have been weighing heavy on us for a while, as really big projects with not enough hands to make them happen. Now that they're mostly solid and ready for production, it's a huge weight off our minds. Though any big new version brings a slew of bug reports!

Cheers,

Joe

• @SwellJoe,

Kloxo-MR run under 'lxlabs' user for web server (separated hiawatha) but under 'root' for php.

edited January 2016

@amarc said:

Currently I manage customers by hand and via SSH and when I create users (that will run virtual hosts) I add them with /bin/false. It's on same Ubuntu Virualmin added it as /bin/sh. It's Webhosting, defaults should not be defaults.

The default shell for mailbox users in Virtualmin is /bin/false. The assumption for domain owners is that they will want a shell in order to work on their website, so they get the system default shell (again, /bin/sh on Ubuntu), but it is literally a ten second change to switch it to any shell on the system.

Also, IMO, when it comes to Webhosting, there should be clear defaults of not using anything else than SuExec and run CGI as actual users (is this case with Virtualmin? I saw default is mod_php which means no mpm_event with mod_fcgid for example...)

The default execution model in Virtualmin is suexec+mod_fcgid. mod_php is strongly discouraged in our documentation, and is not the default. We've never defaulted to using mod_php in Virtualmin. It may exist on the system, and if it does, Virtualmin will allow you to use it (because flexibility and configurability are what we do), but it is emphatically not the default.

Currently best out there IMO is https://www.liveconfig.com/en/overview sane, secure and actually does not force me to use this and that defaults

Virtualmin doesn't force you to use any defaults. If there's a more configurable control panel, I'll be surprised (stunned, even). Virtualmin can be intimidating in its complexity, but lack of configurability has never been one of its weaknesses.

I've never heard of LiveConfig. But, if you like it, and are comfortable with it, and it has all the features you need, and is well-maintained, there's probably no reason to change. It sounds like they share a similar philosophy to Virtualmin (contrary to some of your assumptions about Virtualmin); their website says they use standard OS packages, and work with the standard system file locations, which I consider mandatory (and is something that most control panels fail miserably at, and is actually the primary reason Virtualmin was started over a decade ago, because I hated working with control panels that took over the whole system). I think it's great that others are finally thinking the same way! (I don't know of any others that go to similar lengths to use standard packages.)

Cheers,

Joe

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    SwellJoe,

Kloxo-MR run under 'lxlabs' user for web server (separated hiawatha) but under 'root' for php.

I'd read a while back that Kloxo and its derivatives were no longer maintained, and hadn't been in some time. Is it still being actively maintained?

• @SwellJoe said:
    I'd read a while back that Kloxo and its derivatives were no longer maintained, and hadn't been in some time. Is it still being actively maintained?

Kloxo-MR 6.5 already final version and no update except related to security issue.

Active version is Kloxo-MR 7.0. Near update everyday because still in beta version.

• apidevlabapidevlab Member
    edited January 2016

@amarc said:
    Thanks SwellJoe for taking time and participating. I did not say in anyway Virtualmin is that bad, actually it's probably better than majority out there. I just run it for 30 minutes and figured out it is not for me.

I have been using GPL Webmin / Virtualmin for a few months now and have found it to be an excellent set of tools. It's a great GUI to a Linux OS and can do many things (especially for those unfamiliar with shell/cmd line). I have not tried the Pro versions of Virtual/Cloudmin as never had the need to but I plan to give them a demo (in paticular Cloud Connect)

I think the fairly recent addition of the 'authentic' theme has made a big visual difference and it's clear a lot of development has been going on in the 'background' The direction W / V / C ..min is taking is exciting and is to be applauded as cPanel (imho probably the main competition) has become a rather valuable cashcow.

I do wonder if the 'out of the box' experience with these 'new' versions will be a weakness. Seeking to become a 'hosting' or 'vps' panel it may overwhelm many providers who want a 'click and go' approach.

@SwellJoe I am getting > The answer you entered for the CAPTCHA was not correct.

Tried to setup a user account via FF43 / Chrome and same issue in both?

• thagoatthagoat Member
    edited January 2016

Awesome to see these guys staying competetive. Been using webmin/virtualmin forever. Also the new authentic theme is nice. Keep up the good work, and I hope you guys get that silly food and housing thing sorted.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

http://virtualmin.com/os-support 404

SwellJoe said: no longer maintained

Can virtualmin run nginx and run on debian 7/8?

• @SwellJoe I'm a big fan, but do think using php-fpm would benefit the project greatly. Are there any plans to put that in motion? There were some hacks in the forum I found (and tried), but I wasn't comfortable straying from supported methods.

• I try virtualmin before not really like it but the new interface is great.
    Is there any shared hosting providing Virtualmin for its customers?

• @apidevlab said:
    Tried to setup a user account via FF43 / Chrome and same issue in both?

I've turned off reCAPTCHA for logins. But, without it for account registrations, we get literally thousands of spam accounts created every week. I haven't found any other way to prevent it, that actually works.

If you continue to have problems getting registered you can email or twitter PM @virtualmin with your email address and I'll set up and account for you. Once account is setup you won't have to do a reCAPTCHA.

Thanks for your patients on this one, and letting me know.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
    edited January 2016

@GM2015: Sorry, some of our URL aliases went out of whack during the migration (I removed the .html from a bunch of pages and failed to update all of the URL aliases to match).

It has been fixed now, and you can visit the os-support page.

And, yes, Debian 7 and 8 (we recommend the latest stable release for Debian) are both well-supported, and nginx support is roughly the same across all distros.

Currenlty our grade A supported distros are CentOS 5, 6, and 7, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and 14.04 LTS, and Debian 6, 7, and 8. We always recommend the latest version of the system (the latest LTS in the case of Ubuntu, because life cycle of normal Ubuntu is too rapid).

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @amhoab php-fpm is in development. We stopped cramming things into the 5.0 release because it was already huge and with major changes and new features. It'll come sometime in the 5.x cycle. We want to work out the bugs with Let's Encrypt, and get it working smoothly on older systems, as well as getting PHP7 support polished up, and then we'll work on rolling php-fpm out to everyone (starting with newest distros first, per the usual).

In my testing the differences between mod_fcgid and php-fpm are pretty small, except in cases where there are very large numbers of processes on one domain and APC or opcache is being used (which is less shareable under fcgid). If you have a lot of domains, the shareability of caches is already low, even with FPM. So, depends somewhat on workload. For servers with one or two very big sites, it makes a measurable (thought still not huge) difference in memory usage, sites with hundreds of tiny load sites, it makes very little difference.

• @SwellJoe one major drawback for the new 5 theme, you can't edit anything, just black curtains all over..

• @SwellJoe said:
    It has been fixed now

Page not found
    The requested page "/documentation/install-scripts" could not be found.

:(

Thanked by 1SwellJoe
  • @SwellJoe

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1040] Too many connections in lock_may_be_available() (line 167 of /home/virtualmin/public_html/includes/lock.inc).

Increase resources :). Your site is actually getting over 10 hits now :P.

Thanked by 2Jonchun SwellJoe
  • @tenpera said:
    SwellJoe one major drawback for the new 5 theme, you can't edit anything, just black curtains all over..

I dunno what that means! Can you show me a screenshot of what you're seeing? (Unless if looks like the screenshots we've got on our website, and you just don't like the color scheme...in which case, Ilia has you covered. He added a dozen or so other color schemes in the theme configuration a few weeks ago, including some brighter, and darker, ones.)

• @alaningus said:
    The requested page "/documentation/install-scripts" could not be found.

Hmmm...I can't even find that page now! It was auto-generated from the current script lists on the old site, and it should have been migrated in its most recent form (and I figured I'd update the generating script in the next couple days once the big fires are put out), but I can't find it, and can't find any aliases that refer to it. That's weird. Sometimes Drupal confuses me.

I'll try to find it today and get it aliased into the right place, today, and will try to get the automatic updates of the list working again in the next 24 hours or so.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • Found it! Somehow it was only aliased to the ancient weird Joomla URL (documentation/id,virtualmin_script_installers), but had lost it's Drupal alias. That's fixed now, and you can see the list of scripts as it was a week or so ago (probably just before 5.0, so it's missing a handful of updates. I'll get the list auto-updating again soon.

Thanks for the heads up @alaningus

So, you can see the list of available Install Scripts here: http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/install-scripts

Note that some of those, especially the Node.js and Ruby on Rails stuff, require a very recent OS/distro version, because of dependencies; sometimes it's possible to get them going on older systems with EPEL or SCL or other methods of getting the latest packages, but for cutting edge applications, you generally have to be on the cutting edge for your OS, as well.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • @SwellJoe said:
    Joe
    @SwellJoe said:
    Joe> I think maybe there's just a difference of philosophy that you may be accustomed to. Virtualmin doesn't try to take over your system, it tries to work with it, as much as is possible. We use standard OS packages, with configuration files in standard locations, and it is possible to edit almost everything from the command line without concern for Virtualmin messing it up. We don't replace your system, we work with it (and you can alter just about anything about it). So, if you don't like your distro defaults, you won't like Virtualmin. ;-)

This pretty much summarizes what I never realized that I love most about Virtualmin. It doesn't muck things up. It works with the installed operating system instead of trying to make the operating system work around it.

Thanked by 1SwellJoe
  • sinsin Member

GM2015 said: Can virtualmin run nginx and run on debian 7/8?

I haven't tried it with Debian 8 yet but I remember Virtualmin being able to run nginx really easily with Debian 7...I followed Virtualmin's Nginx tutorial and I was surprised out how well it worked out of the box.

Thanked by 2GM2015 Rolter
  • @SwellJoe said: (…) I think maybe there's just a difference of philosophy that you may be accustomed to. Virtualmin doesn't try to take over your system, it tries to work with it, as much as is possible. We use standard OS packages, with configuration files in standard locations, and it is possible to edit almost everything from the command line without concern for Virtualmin messing it up. We don't replace your system, we work with it (and you can alter just about anything about it)…

This is what I love about Virtualmin. Can even coexist with Aegir, which likes the system all to itself ;)

• @GM2015 said: Can virtualmin run nginx and run on debian 7/8?

I use it on Debian 8 ( w/ nginx) with no problem.

Thanked by 2GM2015 Rolter