Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Service activation time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Service activation time

doughmanesdoughmanes Member
edited January 2016 in General

Just taking a sampling- no specific service and not a VPS (had to edit this since everybody is mentioning VPS)

I've got something that take some minor setup (4 steps on a back end, verification, and putting that info into WHMCS). Most of my clients are US based and presumably I'll get these orders during 'business hours' where I can get it out in less than an hour but tryign to gauge an 'activation guarantee ETA'

Activation
  1. It's 2016- it better be instant!65 votes
    1. Less than an hour
      44.62%
    2. Less than 3 hours
      12.31%
    3. 3 - 6 hours
      13.85%
    4. 6 - 12 hours
        6.15%
    5. Within 24 hours
      23.08%

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Depends, for virtual servers I think instant/within 25 minute provisioning should be standard, with dedicated servers anything within 48 hours is awesome.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Voted for "Less than an hour" because I don't see any reason it takes more than that to deploy a VPS.
    If the service/product is a dedicated box, I would like to wait up to 72hours.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I think 6-12 is best, you have time to put out any fires that may be happening, or time to sleep, but to do instant is just inviting abuse, check your sign-ups, after they have been checked, re-check them.

Thanked by 2doughmanes yomero
  • If it's not critical then no rush but for enterprise providers such as ramnode when you need to scale up or deploy an important service then instant is expected.

For one off budget offers or deals on LET then 24 hours is more then reasonable!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Thanks for the feedback so far as I feel you guys are the more 'technical' versus Joe Blow or 'hurry hurry 'customers. I'm trying to aim for the more upscale, technical folks.

• I voted 24h assuming this would be my first order.
    I would like to see subsequent orders delivered within the same business day.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • The service I'm deploying isn't necessarily 'critical' like you would see with VPS customers if this sways any voting. I could see looking at VPS companies and needing a service deployed ASAP because your DNS server is having issues or some kind of emergency migration. It's mainly 'recreational' as far as I'm concerned and like mentioned above, instant is inviting for abuse.

This recreational service has a high probability of abuse.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    enterprise providers such as ramnode

Uh?

• VPS I'd say instant or within 1 hour (note: if it requires manual fraud check, add a few hours onto that time)

Dedicated within 5 days is ideal.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Nyr said:
    Uh?

highprice

@linuxthefish said:
    highprice

RamNode isn't priced high at all. They sell $15/year VPSes.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Waiting a max of 1hr for a vps to be activated is acceptable but it shouldn't take any longer than that, people do not like to wait and instant activation is pretty standard these days.

• Mark_R said: instant activation is pretty standard these days.

Only if they like major abuse problems

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said:

You can activate basing on automated checks and later review manually? It's not like it's an tangible item that you send out. You can always revoke it should they not pass the checks.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @miTgiB said:

I had instant activation of my vps at Ramnode, by your logic that would mean that ramnode likes major abuse problems. I've only had to wait 24 hrs for dedicated servers so far, vps always been instant setup for me except at hostsailor where they ask for a passport and creditcard numbers to verify you as extra security measure.

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited January 2016

Clouvider said: You can activate basing on automated checks and later review manually? It's not like it's an tangible item that you send out. You can always revoke it should they not pass the checks.

What if by that time the abuser has already caused problems for others? I value the stability of current customers, rather than the speed of deployment for new customers personally. But that's just my thoughts on things.

To be honest in my experience if a user cant wait longer than one working day it usually says a lot about how they're going to be in the future.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited January 2016

@Nyr said:
    RamNode isn't priced high at all. They sell $15/year VPSes.

1GB RAM for $10 a month? At that price, their excellent reputation and with the service they provide I would expect instant setup, and would use them if I needed to get something setup quickly for an important project. Same thing goes for AWS, google cloud, softlayer, and yes I would put RamNode in the same category as those providers.

Compare that to a $20 a year 1GB VPS from a random unknown provider where I would not expect instant setup if they needed a few hours to sort out new nodes or manual fraud checks, and even if they did setup my order instantly I would still not expect the same result time and time again.

• Clouvider said: You can activate basing on automated checks and later review manually? It's not like it's an tangible item that you send out. You can always revoke it should they not pass the checks.

We obviously have very differing opinions about this. Let a few spammers on your network with instant provisioning and let me know how that works for you.

Thanked by 1doughmanes

@linuxthefish said:
    AWS, google cloud, softlayer, and yes I would put RamNode in the same category as those providers.

Then I don't have much to add.

I had been a happy RamNode customer for years, but they just play in a very different league and gear towards very different customers with very different needs.

Could you imagine AWS being hosted at WeservIT? I don't think so.

• I think the first purchase is important to take the time and check to prevent fraud. I've had to wait a day or two for some initial OVH orders on their different properties, after that it's typically delivery within the hour on new activations. As long as the delivery times are stated ahead of ordering, I'll wait days or weeks for delivery if the deal is enticing enough.

If I need express delivery I typically use one of my regular providers where I have active services and ticket sales to ensure the stock is available and they can launch it instantly.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • sinsin Member

I don't mind waiting up to 24 hours as long as the host mentions the provisioning time on their website so they don't leave first time customers in the dark about what's going on.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • BBGNBrianBBGNBrian Member
    edited January 2016

We do our best to do VPS activations within about 30 minutes, dedicated servers take about 4 to 6 hours and colocation is anywhere from 24 to 48 hours depending on the size.

We did a similar poll among our current customers and we found that most customers found dedicated servers needed to be delivered within 24 hours.

• Again- this isn't VPS related.

• sin said: I don't mind waiting up to 24 hours as long as the host mentions the provisioning time on their website

Yep, that's the plan.

• @doughmanes said:
    Yep, that's the plan.

What's the issue here? If we talk about dedicated servers and you deliver them within 24hrs, there shouldn't be a problem?

• Has nothing to do with typical services offered on here. I'm agreeing with being up front about time as that's what sin responded with.

• miTgiB said: We obviously have very differing opinions about this. Let a few spammers on your network with instant provisioning and let me know how that works for you.

Instead of saying it doesn't work, why not ask the companies who make that work very well how they do it?

• I personally believe that a 8-12 hour guarantee is the perfect amount of time. A one-man-show could meet a that guarantee as long as he doesn't do something crazy like sleeping for 20 hours, and it's just the perfect amount of time so that if someone orders the service in the morning, they'll receive it before they go to bed.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I'd say within the hour if the customer is already registered.