Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[QUESTION] Windows Server guest on Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[QUESTION] Windows Server guest on Proxmox

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hi! Quick question: If I install Windows 2012 Std R2 on a VM, using Proxmox, and I bought the legit COA, is it legal?

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited January 2016

is that what they call bring your own licence? sorry if my answer is a question!

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

From my understanding, to legally use (and distribute) Windows Server in a corporate environment on a virtual machines requires SPLA.

I think it is waste to use a perpetual Standard edition license on a VM. Unfortunately, I do not have a direct answer for you.

I know that Windows 7 licenses can be used on a virtual machine, but you forfeit the use on a real one.

Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomx said: I bought the legit COA, is it legal?

I don't think there are enough lawyers in the world to answer that question, Microsoft intentionally makes there licensing as confusing as possible :(

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

ehab said: is that what they call bring your own licence?

I don't really know.

deployvm said: From my understanding, to legally use (and distribute) Windows Server in a corporate environment on a virtual machines requires SPLA.

I am not sure, as this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

says:

Standard
    Standard edition is ideal for those customers who want to have a physical or lightly virtualized environment. This edition enables you to run up to two virtual instances of Windows Server with each license and provides all the same features as Datacenter edition. The licensing for Standard edition will continue to be processor plus CAL, with each license covering up to two physical processors on a single server, just like Datacenter edition.

As my understanding, it says I can run a virtual instance (VM ?) of Windows Server, and covering 2 processors. I think that is the answer of my question, but I don't really know

• miTgiB said: Microsoft intentionally makes there licensing as confusing as possible

Agreed, about on par as dealing with government

Thanked by 1GM2015

netomx said: As my understanding, it says I can run a virtual instance (VM ?) of Windows Server, and covering 2 processors. I think that is the answer of my question, but I don't really know

If you install Windows Server or a physical dedicated server, then you can run virtual machines with Windows installed on the host. This requires you to setup Hyper-V.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@deployvm said:

And on the other hand? Proxmox as host, Windows as guest?

edited January 2016

@netomx said:

When utilising Proxmox Linux as host, I have no information on this. I'm sorry. I'm only aware of SPLA in such cases, where open source virtualisation is used.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you have a license for the version of Windows you want to run, I don't see how it should matter whether its a dedicated or virtual instance, you have a license to run the OS. Obviously don't take my word for it, that's just how I see it.

Thanked by 1netomx