Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long does it take to have IP removed from spamhaus? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long does it take to have IP removed from spamhaus?

2»

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

@Jonchun said:
    They wouldn't have nearly as much power if they actually responded to inquiries like that. Providers like CC would just sell off all their IP blocks to their secret acquisitions and effectively "launder" IPs.

I got rid of the block, but the request is still in place (LOL). The funny thing is, they happened to have just replied, saying that I was still spamming, even though I no longer had the block ._.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited January 2016

@doghouch said:
    I got rid of the block, but the request is still in place (LOL). The funny thing is, they happened to have just replied, saying that I was still spamming, even though I no longer had the block ._.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it? I was thinking buying them (could) be profitable if you just put them on "cooldown" for 1year+ by offering low end VPS with SMTP blocked.

edited January 2016

@Jonchun said:

I got it a few years back, was pretty cheap. It was around $7.30/IP. btw that's a good idea selling vps with sbl listed IPS... I see a large potential for PROFIT <3

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @doghouch said:

Not a bad price. As for the idea, obviously I didn't think through all the details yet, but if its one of those $20/year services that come with s caveat of no mailing allowed, I can see it (maybe) working.

• @doughmanes said:
    Spamhaus occasionally "demands" (under threat of keeping the SBL active) for customer information and a host could refuse, which is understandable

Is it? When it comes to a shared resource, I'd say identifying the root cause of abuse is the better approach. If the provider won't reveal who the bad apple is, what choice is there but to cut off their whole subnet? Hell, even I would like to better know who else is in my network neighborhood, because I know any nasty shit they do stinks things up for me.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

impossiblystupid said: Is it? When it comes to a shared resource, I'd say identifying the root cause of abuse is the better approach. If the provider won't reveal who the bad apple is, what choice is there but to cut off their whole subnet? Hell, even I would like to better know who else is in my network neighborhood, because I know any nasty shit they do stinks things up for me.

Would you like it if say your server was compromised and started sending a ton of spam and ended up on the SBL. Then I gave your information to Spamhaus?

Thanked by 1doghouch
    edited January 2016

SpamHaus can meet my lawyers if that happened to me; they have to realize that companies (big or small) have policies regarding privacy (aka. sharing information with a third party)... In some cases, (ex. cyberbunker) it was good that they threw the ranges on the SBL; for normal companies, it's a meh.

• impossiblystupid said: When it comes to a shared resource, I'd say identifying the root cause of abuse is the better approach.

I know some customers play the reseller game with turning a blind eye to abuse or being directly involved but turning over client information to a third party who is as secretive as Spamhaus is not the solution when third parties are building up huge data mines/databases already.

• @Awmusic12635 said:

Would you like it if say your server was compromised and started sending a ton of spam and ended up on the SBL. Then I gave your information to Spamhaus?

I wouldn't "like it", but I would of course expect that sort of outcome. The root problem is the server being compromised, not the resulting blacklist entry.

• @doughmanes said:
    I know some customers play the reseller game with turning a blind eye to abuse or being directly involved but turning over client information to a third party who is as secretive as Spamhaus is not the solution when third parties are building up huge data mines/databases already.

Then the provider ought to segment their networks between "secret" clients and public clients. My legitimate corporation can be easily found via whois to be the client of whatever provider assigned me an IP. No need to even bother anyone to "turn over" the info. There are definitely better solutions to spam (I certainly don't do any filtering or use blacklists), but using privacy as a straw man here just doesn't make sense.

• Don't bother with CloudShards support, or CloudShards in general.