Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode manager password expiry - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode manager password expiry

2»

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

rds100 said: Why would people reinstall their Linux?

cuz ubuntu upgrades take forever

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • @jbiloh said:
    For their benefit I hope the amount of customer leaked data is limited. Sounds like a very difficult situation.

Linocrossing?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

GCat said: Linocrossing?

Stolen password database is more Linocago VPS. Though they are CC now.

Paging @CVPS_Chris

Copy/paste of how it was all Solus's fault in 3...2...

Thanked by 2GM2015 GCat
  • Man I remember several years ago, Linode was my first experience with this scene. Nothing but good things to say at the time, (except for long deployment time) and I'm sure not much has changed. I wish all the staff some nights with sleep soon, because I'm sure they are panicking with all that has been happening lately.

• I've used Linode several times in the last 1.5 years and liked their setup (especially once the went to hourly billing). However, it does bother me that, for a more premium provider, they don't have things in place that smaller shops do, like DDOS protection. In many ways, it seems like they are at least a year behind the curve.

• nowprovisionnowprovision Member
    edited January 2016

@jarland said:
    Insult to injury right now :(

My sentiments exactly.

The communication out of Linode has been terrible, the delay in notifying clients is unacceptable, what's also strange is that when they say "expired" they don't mean locked, they mean you just get prompted to choose a new password on login, why not lock and require email and partial CC auth maybe, at least then if passwords are decrypted then risk of account compromise is limited.

In addition there is speculation that Linode sat on this issue for too long, PagerDuty and another site have called into question the timeline of this. It should be noted though in fairness that the Pagerduty employee is an ex-Linode engineer.

Then we have the DDOS (albeit not their fault), but again communication until Alex Forster stepped in has been terrible. Laughably they have a full-time communciation/PR director I have absolutely no idea what this guy does but unless its something to satisfy immigration/tax for alternate reasons then I'll show him the door with my foot.

Then we have the 2FA mess which one can reset by just emailing support any forged government ID (which they have no way of verifying, crazy).

Then we have the regularly failing backups, about 80% their top-secret lvm snapshotting solution fails, enquiries for details are meet with usual vague one liners.

I don't like to beat them while their down, I've been a customer of Linode for 5years (through ups and downs) and between client managed accounts easily spend in excess of $150/mo with them, they also just sponsored my open source project and youll see Ive frequently recommended them in the past, however this is the last straw, I'll be working my way out of Linode.. .

I don't blame the staff, what a rough xmas/new year, I blame the useless management..