Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in another storage server VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in another storage server VPS?

2»

Comments

• NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep

Thanks again for the feedback from all -- we will be deploying a beta of this later in the month. I'll post an update when it is ready.

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

gitreset said: Of course this was on a promotion.

Without any redundancy I guess not to speak of HW RAID, HA etc? That is a great deal, but there is a difference between a true storage VPS and a lowend dedi.

• 500gb is a lot and I've paid for time4vps largest biennial plans + attic/borg( for data integrity, compression, encryption at rest). The combo works for data-at-rest/archival.

I can still think of a lot of use cases for a small amount of zfs backed storage(10-30gb) for mission-critical instances with live data. Bye bye bitrot.

Hoping for a yearly offering too from OP.
    Maybe 2016 will be the year of zfs LEB.

• @NickMNXio said:

Thanks for the information given, I am interested ;-) looking forward to your beta...

edited January 2016

All the parts are starting to arrive for the beta deployment.

I don't recommend drinking + drive(ing) -- but I couldn't resist in this case :)

Thanked by 3gitreset drazilox bersy
  • @NickMNXio said:

>

Congrats! Always love seeing people/company prosper and grow.
    Love mnx.io's look and feel. Have to say it's very simliar to DO tho.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio

It took a little longer than expected, but our storage instances are now available!

https://mnx.io/pricing for additional details.

• @NickMNXio

Nice offers, but you might want to check your numbers. It's more expensive to get any of your larger plans than multiple 500GB/1GB plans (in which case the customer would get more RAM in addition to paying less).

user123 said: Nice offers, but you might want to check your numbers. It's more expensive to get any of your larger plans than multiple 500GB/1GB plans (in which case the customer would get more RAM in addition to paying less).

The numbers allow for a slightly less costly introduction to our services. This was intentional. If you happen to take advantage of it, we don't mind :)

• Something looks a little broken on mobile. http://i.imgur.com/kh8659z.png

Umcookies said: Something looks a little broken on mobile. http://i.imgur.com/kh8659z.png

Agreed! We will take a look -- thanks for the feedback.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

1TB for 4EUR would be neat, dont need to have any redundancy.

• @Neoon said:
    1TB for 4EUR would be neat, dont need to have any redundancy.

Where do you get that price?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2016

Someone had a actual idea to offer that at this price point, lets wait for it.

Maybe we get such deal at some point again, my Ikoula with 1TB for 4,99 is pretty close to it.

Edit: Time4VPS eh.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

@Neoon said:
    Someone had a actual idea to offer that at this price point, lets wait for it.

Maybe we get such deal at some point again, my Ikoula with 1TB for 4,99 is pretty close to it.

Edit: Time4VPS eh.

OpenVZ vs KVM.

I am surprised with the popularity of time4vps as reading some older topics here, people were against mass storage on OpenVZ but it seems to have taken off.

• bruzlibruzli Member, LIR

too bad that r1soft server doesn't run on openvz otherwise time4vps would be ok :)
    on mnx.io kvm is ok

Thanked by 1NickMNXio
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2016

Just my 2 cents, better to have a yearly / semi-yearly / quarterly plan with lower specs.

$20 per half year or $10 per quarter for 1CPU 768MB 250GB SSD-Cached 500G@Gbps plan will be really interesting.

Compared to Ramnode: OpenVZ 1CPU 256MB 120GB SSD-Cached 1TB@Gbps $8/qtr.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

NickMNXio said: https://mnx.io/pricing for additional details.

Just one guy's opinion, but those seem more like backup servers to me. The reason is the storage:network ratio is low. 500GB disk with 1TB bandwidth(1:2), or 3TB disk with 4TB bandwidth(1:1.25). I'm assuming incoming bandwidth also counts (usually does if the host doesn't specify).

Compare that to someone like BuyVM or SecureDragon where the disk:bandwidth ratio is more like 1:4 or 1:10.

In my mind, "backup server" is something I write tons to but rarely read from unless I need a recovery, so I don't need a lot of bandwidth. "Storage server" is something I might be serving media files from, OwnCloud, etc. - a lot more read, so I'd want a higher bandwidth allowance.

I'm not sure I see the value in hourly pricing for either backup or storage...I'm unlikely to spin up something, put a ton of data on it, and then shut it down.

Just my opinions, as someone who has three different backup/storage VPSes at the moment :-) Good luck with your offering.

raindog308 said: Just one guy's opinion, but those seem more like backup servers to me. The reason is the storage:network ratio is low.

Thanks for the valuable feedback. We will be reviewing our bandwidth allotment for these systems.

raindog308 said: I'm not sure I see the value in hourly pricing for either backup or storage..

All of our systems our based on hourly pricing -- it's just how our system is built. If you want to keep it long-term, that's OK by us -- it's still priced starting at $7/month for 500GB!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

msg7086 said: Compared to Ramnode

You can't really compare. The RamNode offer is just a OVZ container.

Thanked by 2NickMNXio vimalware