Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid-10 question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raid-10 question

WHTWHT Member

Hello guys.

I have a stupid question regarding raid10:

I need 4 disks to do raid 10, and this means 3 disks are "burned" and only one can be used?

Lats say i have 4x 120GB SSD disks and i make raid10. This means I will have only 120GB for my data and not 480GB?

Is this the same with software raid and hardware raid?

Thanks

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• Raid 10 is RAID 1 times two arrays, so you basically have two drives in RAID1, another two in RAID 1, and then run RAID 0 between the two.

You lose exactly 50% of the drives in the array to the raid, so 4 drives, means 2 usable.

It doesn't matter whether you run hardware or software, the result is the same.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHT said: Lats say i have 4x 120GB SSD disks and i make raid10. This means I will have only 120GB for my data and not 480GB?

Using 120gb disks, in RAID10 you will have 240gb of usable space, and always remember, google is your friend

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHTWHT Member

Ow thats good news. I thought i can use only one disk. And raid software and hardware do they play a security role?

• WHT said: And raid software and hardware do they play a security role?

There is no security per say with RAID, it is not a backup, it is added redundancy and/or better performance.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • Hardware is easier if you are new, no reinstalling grub and messing with mdadm

Thanked by 2WHT inthecloudblog
  • RAID 10 you must have a minimum of 4 disks and 2 functional all the time (must be opposite disks) RAID 1 only needs a min of 2 disks and 1 functional all the time. For performance use RAID 10 for superstition or lack of disks use RAID 1

Thanked by 1WHT
  • raid10 is much more usefull in my opinion. You do lose 2 disks essentially but you have the added benefit of the mirroring.