Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of Delimiter dedicated HP BL260c E5420 16GB SSD ($30 month) vs VPS SSD 3 from OVH - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of Delimiter dedicated HP BL260c E5420 16GB SSD ($30 month) vs VPS SSD 3 from OVH

2»

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

You can always ask, hire or find people on lowendtalk who will complain about you using a dedicated, even if you didn't quote him before.

Wolf said: nobody complains about utilization or heavy IO.

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Thats why you read the ToS before agreeing them, then you would have known that the company doesn't offer any refunds before parting with your cash!

Yes Mark, and that's why I said on my original review that I cannot complaint about that.
    I still asked for it (knowing their tos) and they said no. No problem at all here, because it's their TOS, it was expected...

I'm also certain that mostcompanies would have immediately refund a user that cancels a service within a few hours or a few days, (because customers will be happy and recommend their service).

This was the case with VPS Dime (which I tried a few days ago). I asked for a refund and 5 minutes later I was refunded (surprise). I would recommend them too, just because of that.

Still, feedback like this (from customers) should be much appreciated (instead of justifying it with the TOS). I didn't ask for a justification. I just said that they "should" change that policy, because those are best practices. If other's can do it, so should they (competition).

Anyway, it's not my objective to talk bad about the company so no need to keep telling me how great they are, and how fair they are, and how I should have know and read their TOS.

That't not the point of my review at all.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Just wait for one of your neighbors to abuse the node with your VPS on a bit. Run your bench scripts then ;-).

Thanked by 3GM2015 mike0000 netomx
  • peixotormspeixotorms Member
    edited January 2016

@Clouvider said:
    Just wait for one of your neighbors to abuse the node with your VPS on a bit. Run your bench scripts then ;-).

Perhaps, but I have had several vps with ovh in the past (several years) and never had a problem.
    I had that experience with other providers though. It really depends on the provider and your luck.

• So to summarize:

• You never read the Debian 8 release notes and don't understand the very simple security changes in Jessie vs previous releases. You also kept hitting reinstall rather than using the dedicated KVM provided with your server to take a look as to why you couldn't ssh in. Good troubleshooting skills there...

• HP disables the disk cache on non-HP disks, but this is enabled on HP disks.. And pretty much every other server in the world you'll be using will have this enabled. It's not scary to enable it, you'll be fine..

• Support was great, but you didn't read the ToS before signing up and are slightly disappointed that you can't get a refund.

Is this your first dedicated server? Because to be honest you sound like a bit of a muppet.

I think your only valid conclusion in this whole 1 day 'review' is that you're better off with a VPS for your use case.

A more redundant dedicated setup will cost you more and if you're running production you'd want that (more disks in RAID 1/10, perhaps a HW RAID controller), but if you're just running some websites that do fine on a $15/mo VPS.. then stick with that and avoid posting reviews on things that clearly didn't meet your needs from the start.

• sinsin Member

If you pay for the Delimiter dedicated in quarterly payments it's $20/month and the OVH SSD VPS is $13.99 (for the #3) so only $6 more for a dedicated server.

But yeah those OVH SSD VPSes rock :) haven't had a single issue with any of mine.

• I haven't read the whole thread but for root ssh login, you need to enable it via ilo console first before you can login as root via ssh.

Cmiiw

• @mikeyur said:
    So to summarize: ...

Well, everyone has their own opinion and likewise, when you say that "I should avoid posting reviews about things that didn't meet my expectations", I also think that I don't need "your opinion about my skills" and that you can keep those for your self.

1 - To be honest, I never read the release notes on Debian 8, because I've been using Debian since 3.1 Sarge... and therefore, I didn't find a need to do so.

I reinstalled a few times (no need the sarcasm there), because I didn't had much time to go find what's going on via KVM. Sure it doesn't take too long to use KVM, but since it's for the first use, reinstall also doesn't take much longer and is unattended. I can always do something else and try again later (obviously, if it's not possible the control panels should not make it optional to create another user).

2 - Again, write back cache will cause data loss and even database corruption in certain situations, such as power failure. It's not "about being scary"... but rather depends on your needs and hardware. I ever lost some data that way because my provider at that time didn't had even a simple UPS for power failure backup... (you get what you pay for).

3 - I read the TOS before signing up, and me being "slightly disappointed that I can't get a refund" has nothing to do with the review. And I'm not here to ask for a refund (duh).

What I did was to try my luck, because I ever had refunds from other companies in the past when their service didn't meet my expectations, and even though their TOS said otherwise.

Sure, I live in Europe and it's common procedure the law to be refunded If you cancel certain services or return the goods within 7-14 days.

4 - You don't need more than 1 day to find out if the server is going to be what you need or not. You can guess before buying, but you can only be certain after trying.

5 - Obviously, a more redundant setup will cost more (hence a good vps is also a good option to keep costs down and have redundancy).

6 - Actually, I probably had many more dedicated servers going through my hands than many people here (I ever worked at a big datacenter for several years before I became a consultant) so I'm sorry, but I don't need your unknown criticism.

7 - The site was actually for one of my customers, and like you said I'm better off with a vps for this situation. However, people looking to buy this server, will have some more information to consider now.

@alexvolk said:
    gratispt you can't compare delimiter with any other host because you'll be attacked by some members here for saying truth so basically stay away from them as far as you can and enjoy your vps with OVH!

At first I thought it was a joke, but now I am starting to believe you.
    But I'm not the kind of person to be annoyed by that though...
    It will just help me have a more firm opinion about the company.

Thanked by 2alexvolk GM2015
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

The OVH cloud vps offers great performance/price but uptime is not good enough for production honestly. You'll have to go with their 30 euro per month VPS for production.

2 of my 3 euro OVH vps's are currently down and on average it comes to 99.8% uptime. For me it works great since I can balance the load to multiple VPSs.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • peixotormspeixotorms Member
    edited January 2016

@vfuse said:
    The OVH cloud vps offers great performance/price but uptime is not good enough for production honestly. You'll have to go with their 30 euro per month VPS for production.

2 of my 3 euro OVH vps's are currently down and on average it comes to 99.8% uptime. For me it works great since I can balance the load to multiple VPSs.

That's strange. Where are your vm's located?
    But wait, you're talking about the cloud VPS. I was talking about the VPS SSD (cheaper range) https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-ssd.xml

I have a few vm's in Gravelines and BHS and all of them have been up without any downtime for more than 30 days.

Well, recently I had a dedicated with reliablesite.net in New York and they had my server down on some weekend for more than one hour due to network problems... Because it was an important site for me and since I was paying for a lot of extra things, I canceled and moved to another place...

Load balancing between ovh vm's it's a good strategy.
    I was doing it on amazon, but it's so much cheaper on ovh.
    Also, 8 Gb RAM for $15 (think REDIS, memcached, etc) is dirty cheap.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @gratispt said: when you say that "I should avoid posting reviews about things that didn't meet my expectations", I also think that I don't need "your opinion about my skills" and that you can keep those for your self.

Who are you quoting? Where did I say "didn't meet your expectations" - I said it "didn't meet your needs". Very very different in this context.

You keep preaching redundancy but you were willing to stick a production site for a client on a box with a single SSD? Couldn't even drop the cash for a second in RAID 1?

My point was that this box didn't meet your NEEDS from the start, if you wanted a redundant setup with solid single threaded performance to host a client site, then a single SSD box with a CPU from 2007 (with benchmarks on both available online) wasn't the right pick.

Your expectations must've been seriously flawed coming into this thinking this server configuration would address those needs.

@gratispt said: At first I thought it was a joke, but now I am starting to believe you. But I'm not the kind of person to be annoyed by that though... It will just help me have a more firm opinion about the company.

You aren't getting comments you disagree with because you're talking about a Delimiter server, you're getting these comments because you're clearly incompetent and drawing conclusions of a host on YOUR user error.

Why bring up the point that you needed multiple reinstalls to get access to your box? This isn't a problem with the service, this is user error that makes you look, to be frank, stupid. A simple Google search would've cleared that up for you:

Refund policy is a good thing to ask a host BEFORE purchasing. A quick review of the site/TOS, a sales ticket or a PM to @MarkTurner would've cleared that up. Again: user error and making assumptions.

I understand that you're not looking for a refund, but why the need to mention this when it takes the tiniest bit of common sense for anyone to figure this out? The appearance of this in your review makes it seem like it's a major negative to you that you didn't bother to work out before you paid them.

Disk caching: I firmly believe this is only an issue for your review because it wasn't enabled by default. Double check the disk caching on your Hetzner(?) i7-3770 for me, turn it off via hdparm and run a few benchmarks, let me know how that goes.

You clearly know what it does, you knew you were getting a single drive config, you know what performance looks like with it turned off, you knew you were getting a Samsung 850 EVO as it's listed on the order form, you know it's enabled on every other server you've ever used. But it's suddenly a BIG ISSUE for this server review...

The fact that figuring out this box didn't meet your needs took a day of using it also says a lot about you. Everything you complained about could've been figured out beforehand with the tiniest amount of research - between Google searches, a sales ticket and some sort of technical knowledge, you should've worked out "this isn't for me".

OVH is clearly the better choice for you in this example and they're a great host who I have many services with, but your conclusion that "this VPS is better than this dedicated server" makes absolutely zero sense to anyone with some technical common sense.

You're comparing single threaded performance of a CPU from 2007 vs one from the last year or two, and an expensive multi-SSD RAID-backed configuration vs a single SSD on a SATA2 port.

But while making those comparisons and essentially proclaiming "why would anyone buy this dedi over an OVH VPS?!" you're also disregarding the CPU, disk I/O and network port contention of a VPS with dozens to hundreds of neighbours versus dedicated resources. Completely ignoring the benefits of a dedicated setup. Your apples and oranges comparison makes you look silly.

The points you're trying to drive home and the comparisons you're making don't add up to rest of us. You're seeing this kind of response to your 'review' because there are smart people here who understand the absurdity in all of this.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

gratispt said: That's strange. Where are your vm's located? But wait, you're talking about the cloud VPS. I was talking about the VPS SSD (cheaper range) https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-ssd.xml

Both also cloud ssd VPSs in gra and sbg, both instances are still down (more than 2 hours), (hard) rebooting from the panel doesn't seem to do anything.

Just saying that the hardware at delimiter might be old but probably still more reliable than OVHs ssd cloud.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner mike0000
  • I'm not even going to comment on the crap you just said because obviously, you look like a very angry and impatient person to deal with (so no point).

The review and the benchmarks are here for people to make their own judgement, because like you said, there are smart users here that can easily see that a ovh vps is better than this dedicated for a LEMP stack.

You can call me lazy for not running to google trying to find out why I couldn't login, or why I didn't use KVM, or whatever. For me, reinstall was faster (why does it matter??).

As for cache, I don't know how redundant Delimiter is in regard of power And now you're going to tell me to read their about us or network page, or whatever, but I know OVH, Hetzner, etc have redundant power for sure (and I do have backed hardware raid 10 on my main production server).

You keep drawing conclusions about my skills without knowing anything...

Obviously if I were happy with it, I could always buy a second hard drive for RAID 1 or do other upgrades for production, but that costs more money.
    It's not about being poor, it's more like being smart.

My client told me that he wanted a low-mid range server or a stable performance vps under 30 euro for his site, and I wanted to try out Delimiter for a while.

I ran those benchmarks and they are here.
    That's it. My opinion, is my opinion and yours is yours.

It's not very hard to understand the pros and cons of dedicated vs virtual.

You can always compare a old premium car from the 90's and a small, cheap small car from 2015. Which one fits your needs most? Depends on the user needs...

I am certain that I could teach you (and demonstrate) why b > a for this situation, but I feel like I'm wasting my time already.

Sorry for the misquote. I took it wrongly, perhaps.

Thanked by 2alexvolk vimalware
  • @gratispt don't waste your time arguing with persons who can't accept truth (reality) but same time lies are acceptable for them.

• Eagerly awaiting the OVH thread I see coming.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited January 2016

@alexvolk said:
    gratispt don't waste your time arguing with persons who can't accept truth (reality) but same time lies are acceptable for them.

I don't think @MarkTurner's girlfriend would appreciate the hard on you have for him and following him around in every Delimiter thread.

The primary school bullying of the boy you like to get them to like you back doesn't work on here.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited January 2016

mikeyur said: I don't think @MarkTurner's girlfriend

Fiancée now :)

Thanked by 2netomx Junkless
  • alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited January 2016

@mikeyur said:
    I don't think @MarkTurner's girlfriend would appreciate the hard on you have for him and following him around in every Delimiter thread.
    The primary school bullying of the boy you like to get them to like you back doesn't work on here.

Maybe you should be girlfriend of @MarkTurnet judging by how much love you put in every delimiter thread. Haha!

Maybe you'll shocked that I know that thisn't school too and I don't expect someone liking me but hey you here for what?

@MarkTurner said:
    Fiancée now :)

Your only girlfriend was Steve but hey you now have @mikeyur. Enjoy them both and post some shady offers!

Thanked by 2GM2015 boernd
  • @alexvolk said:

Anyone else having trouble reading that or did I just have a stroke?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

mikeyur said: I just have a stroke?

we wish :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Jesus christ, let him compare what he wants to compare.

It always depends on the perspective from the person

You can often see Dedis perform better as some overpriced piece of shit VPS, so on the one side its good. But you will also see VPS even with daily benchmarks which are performing better. Independent if they have allocated CPU power or shared.

• @gratispt said:

I thought I was calm in my response.

I'm not disagreeing with your choice. A dedicated server in this case is likely overkill for you and a better choice for budget redundancy (read: half the price) is definitely a VPS. I believe I stated that clearly in my previous post and I think anyone here would've told you the same.

If you were comparing your OVH VPS to a Ramnode VPS or even a Delimiter VPS with the same specs, that would've made sense.

You're praising certain aspects of a VPS and not addressing the negative, and you're highlighting negative aspects of a budget dedicated server for your use and not praising the positive.

My mind is blown as to why this comparison was needed. What new information did you present to the public that wasn't already known?

Thanked by 3netomx lazyt Clouvider
  • Man, keep posting those memes, I still have 145GB storage to store these memes on $HOME/memes.

Infinity580 said: Jesus christ, let him compare what he wants to compare.

It always depends on the perspective from the person

You can often see Dedis perform better as some overpriced piece of shit VPS, so on the one side its good. But you will also see VPS even with daily benchmarks which are performing better. Independent if they have allocated CPU power or shared.

• @MarkTurner said:

Congrats!! You probably would've got less time for murder though ;)

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2016

vfuse said: The OVH cloud vps offers great performance/price but uptime is not good enough for production honestly. You'll have to go with their 30 euro per month VPS for production.

Are you talking about VPS SSD or VPS Cloud? They're different product lines and there is no 3 euro Cloud VPS (starts at 8 euros) so I'm guessing you mean the former?

• WolfWolf Member
    edited January 2016

Nonsense.

• @sin said:
    If you pay for the Delimiter dedicated in quarterly payments it's $20/month and the OVH SSD VPS is $13.99 (for the #3) so only $6 more for a dedicated server.

Thank you for this, I haven't noticed that I could get this server for $20/ by paying quarterly.

For $20/month (and despite what I said in the review), this server is a very good deal.
    I decided to keep this server because their network is great and the ping is low for south america (Hello Brazil) so I have good usage for this server in the end.

For this price range, it's one of the best servers anyone can get.