Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project management scripts/sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Project management scripts/sites

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

Hi,

I currently am looking for a project management script to use for internal office use. Anyone have any recommendations?
Looking at Collabtive ( http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/ ) and ProjectPier ( http://www.projectpier.org/ ) to see if they meet the "standards".

thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• I like Feng Office (community edition), quite feature full

• For very small team, what I use is Vanilla Forum. I just move threads between categories. E.g. I have Back Log, In Progress, and Done categories.

• You might want to take a look at http://www.thebuggenie.com/

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: For very small team, what I use is Vanilla Forum. I just move threads between categories. E.g. I have Back Log, In Progress, and Done categories.

Not sure if that meets what I want to do, I would really like to use milestones, tasks depending on the progress on other tasks.

Bonus is the issues tracking, not "needed" but its a nice to have feature.
    Main goal is project planning regarding time and creating tasks, assigning these to different users.

@corehosting said: I like Feng Office (community edition), quite feature full

I will download and make a testinstallation of it. From the 5 minutes on their website its hard to get a grip on what the possibilities are.

@Ishaq said: You might want to take a look at http://www.thebuggenie.com/

This is targeted to software projects mainly?
    My main focus will be on hardware installation, migrations, no software development at all.

Forgot to mention that I want to host it myself, not using a service somewhere. :)

Thank you all for the suggestions. moar please :)

• @MikHo said: My main focus will be on hardware installation, migrations, no software development at all.

Ah okay.

@MikHo said: Forgot to mention that I want to host it myself, not using a service somewhere. :)

And this is hostable on your own server.

@Ishaq said: @MikHo said: Forgot to mention that I want to host it myself, not using a service somewhere. :)

And this is hostable on your own server.

since it will be used inhouse, there will be no access externally.

• Redmine?

• JIRA?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

Open Atrium seems nice, but sits on top of Drupal. I dont like Drupal

• ++ For Jira for internal

Option 2: Get internet and use trello.com.

• The JIRA suite seems cheap 10 bucks for a small team?

@mojeda said: JIRA?

We use confluence from atlassian so JIRA is an alternative, but it looks "more" then needed at this moment.

• Found this, free for small teams. http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/

• @jcaleb said: For very small team, what I use is Vanilla Forum. I just move threads between categories. E.g. I have Back Log, In Progress, and Done categories.

AFAIK some projects actually use a forum for everything including community and development, involved sections are hidden except for team members..etc

But I've tried that myself then wished if the forum I've used had many messing functions/plugins, just like:

1- Ability to copy threads with comments, I've found that needed for me to have a backup section/s in the forum, so once something is changed/deleted mistakenly there's an easy backup that doesn't need a full database restore or anything.

2- Ability to copy individual comments from a thread to another, or as a new thread.

3- To have a good uploading plugin, or otherwise install/code an independent suitable one and have it linked in forum pages. I didn't get such a plugin, too. But I've found that an independent upload place with files accessible to everyone might be better than using regular forum attachments, but if password protected that would be better IMO.

So, 1 and 2 where the main drawbacks I've personally faced. If I know a forum with enough functions and plugins, other than the somewhat costly vBulletin, I'd name it.

• www.getblimp.com

• @mojeda said: JIRA?

JIRA isn't as great for project management. Task tracking yes, but not project management involving dependencies, tasks that affect each other, detailed time tracking, things like Gantt Charts etc...

It's not really that hard to setup and configure though :) It used to be a LOT harder.

• Trello looks really nice. Looking for something like that, but not a hosted solution.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited January 2013

We use the hosted versions of TeamLab and Podio.

"I want to host it myself"

TeamLab also has a free opensource version you can install on your own server/computer (Windows only though unfortunately). downloadable at sourceforge, features listing on the teamlab.com site

description from sourceforge:

"TeamLab is an open-source platform for business collaboration and project management. Features include: Projects, Documents, Milestones, Tasks, Reports, Events, Blogs, Forums, Bookmarks, Wiki, Instant Messenger, Document Management, CRM and more."

Spent last night testing the bug genie which was excellent BUT, to much focus on software development for my taste and need.

Will continue to look thru your suggestions.

As mentioned, Jira is an issue tracker and thats not what I'm looking for.

• Did you try tree.io? I've used it before and it was great :D

• oh wow, tree.io is free and available for self-hosting!

• tree.io seems awesome! thanks @giang!

• +1 for redmine.. also tracks is useable for project mgmt as well

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited January 2013

This is a little older, but interesting - compares 40+ options. The author is in a bandwidth-starved part of Africa so it may not apply, but he gives good info.

http://blog.appfrica.com/2009/02/08/the-best-and-worst-project-management-apps/

• tree.io looks real nice, but doesn's look like it will run on my cpanel box, gonna need to buy a new VPS for it .... anyone know the system requirements to run it for a couple of users so i can find a node to test it on ?

• wdqwdq Member

I installed Tree.io a couple of days ago on my Ubuntu 12.04 VPS and the script is using about 60MB of memory right now. I set it up so I and a few friends can work on a project.

@nikc
    Theres a readme inside the package.
    All needed information is there

• They have several ready to go ISO installers for project management apps over at Turnkey Linux.