Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SUSE certification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SUSE certification

jeromezajeromeza Member
edited December 2015 in General

Hi,

Starting at a new employer soon and they want to get me SUSE certified.

From what I can see the SUSE certs are as follows:

SUSE CLA (Certified Linux Administrator) - I've already gained this by doing LPIC 1
SUSE CLP (Certified Linux Professional)
SUSE CLE (Certified Linux Engineer)

Any idea how these certs hold up, compared to Red Hat as an example?

Additionally any idea on cert validity? How long does a cert remain valid for? I'm struggling to find this via Google.

Thanks,

Comments

• If anyone is interested I got my answer by mailing Novell directly.

SUSE certificates do not expire but they can become outdated depending on what version was tested.

Regards

BJ
    PLEASE HIT “REPLY ALL” WHEN REPLYING TO THIS EMAIL 

[email protected]
    (800)858-4000
    1800 South Novell Place 
    Provo, Utah 84606

• I'm interested in getting one too. Any idea about online classes and the price ?

• If you pass LPIC 1 then you can apply for SUSE Certified Linux Administrator and receive the certification for free. Details here and here.

Partner offer: All LPIC–1 certified candidates qualify to receive the SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (CLA) certification at no additional cost. Details on obtaining the SUSE CLA are included in the LPIC-1 Certification package.

Thanked by 1jeromeza
  • @bogdang said:
    If you pass LPIC 1 then you can apply for SUSE Certified Linux Administrator and receive the certification for free. Details here and here.

Partner offer: All LPIC–1 certified candidates qualify to receive the SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (CLA) certification at no additional cost. Details on obtaining the SUSE CLA are included in the LPIC-1 Certification package.

Thanks. That's how I got my SUSE CLA by completing the LPIC1. Any idea if there's a similar agreement for say CLP and LPIC2 or CLE and LPIC3?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If your employer is paying, go for it of course.

In the USA, it's been 10 years since I've even heard about SUSE in enterprise environments. A RHCE would be far more valuable. I run into SUSE mainly in Europe.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited December 2015

@raindog308 - I'm in Africa (South Africa to be exact) and this is the first time I will have worked with SUSE. All other jobs i've had were Debian / Ubuntu or Redhat / CentOS.

From what I can see one can convert the RHCE to a SUSE CLP with a bridging exam. Since I already hold the RHCSA this looks like it could be a good option for me as it would get me the cert my new employers want AND allow me to keep my Red Hat certification current!

https://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/clp/clp-redhat.html

I wonder if one could do it the other way round as well e.g. CLP converts to RHCE as opposed to RHCE converts to CLP.

• @jeromeza From what I know this is the only certification that SUSE and LPI offer as an equivalent of each other. But as mentioned by @raindog308 RHCE would be better fit further. Good luck!