Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10k online wordpress site server specs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10k online wordpress site server specs?

michaelphanmichaelphan Member
edited December 2015 in General

Hi guys,

I have a customer who run some gossip news on wordpress. They have some 5mil fans fanpages on fb so sometime if they share some hot news, the number of online user can reach to 10k.

1/ What server specs do you suggest to handle that kind of traffic?

2/ [CPU comparing] which one is better (any factor in your opinion) (this is my personal question not related to 1)

thank you

Comments

• Caching? Modules they run? Average load? Average traffic per hour/day?

• michaelphanmichaelphan Member
    edited December 2015

@GCat said:
    Caching? Modules they run? Average load? Average traffic per hour/day?

Memcache for backend caching, OPC or Varnish is optional. Nginx + php-fpm.

I still not have the details but I think it always has about 5~6k online users. Every user stay on the site about 30s - 3mins

btw, you could feel free to suggest me the best stacks for this site :)

• @michaelphan said:
    Hi guys,

I have a customer who run some gossip news on wordpress. They have some 5mil fans fanpages on fb so sometime if they share some hot news, the number of online user can reach to 10k.

1/ What server specs do you suggest to handle that kind of traffic?

2/ [CPU comparing] which one is better (any factor in your opinion)

thank you

Hello,

Both of those are Really Bad. The CPU scores are very low. I recommend at least an E3 series processor. Also what type of content is on the wordpress?

Thanked by 1michaelphan
  • You've picked 2 quite bad servers there for this.

1 is old and the other is well just an Atom. Grab an X3400 or E3 personally.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    You've picked 2 quite bad servers there for this.

Agree with you.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited December 2015

It will be better to use cluster of servers in this case. I can offer a hosted solution which by default can handle up to 100k per second for a moderate price.

• "the number of online user can reach to 10k"

With that number you should easily be able to afford some E3 or even E5 with an SSD setup. There are studies telling you how many visitors you when shit slows down, so I think it's not worth saving money and risk slower site delivery.

• michaelphanmichaelphan Member
    edited December 2015

@ChairHosting said:
    Both of those are Really Bad. The CPU scores are very low. I recommend at least an E3 series processor. Also what type of content is on the wordpress?

something like http://www.tmz.com

@Profforg said:
    It will be better to use cluster of servers in this case. I can offer a hosted solution which by default can handle up to 100k per second for a moderate price.

can you pm me the details about infrastructure and asked price?

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    You've picked 2 quite bad servers there for this.

@chrisp said:
    "the number of online user can reach to 10k"

With that number you should easily be able to afford some E3 or even E5 with an SSD setup. There are studies telling you how many visitors you when shit slows down, so I think it's not worth saving money and risk slower site delivery.

Just updated thread > the second question is my personal question not related to first question, sorry for confuse you guys. I know that with that kind of traffic my client wouldn't save money for risk slower site delivery

• @michaelphan said:
    something like http://www.tmz.com

Hello,

Ahh we can provide services that will allow you to handle such traffic.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

@michaelphan said:

Hello Michael,

Can you please tell me if you are looking for a hosting/server solution or you just need guidance in what CPU should you choose ?

That would be a great help, for me at least, so I would know exactly what your interests are and that way I'll be able to offer you the most appropriate answer.

Thank you for your time,

Andrei.

• @ChairHosting said:
    Ahh we can provide services that will allow you to handle such traffic.

PM me details plz

@Andreix said:
    Andrei.

Hi, I'm looking for an advice for server I should choose, but if you can offer the service that could help me, feel free to pm me the details.

The second question is my personal question not related to the first.