Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DataShack refuse to give me a refund
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DataShack refuse to give me a refund

I bought a DataShack server assuming It had RAID,. or I can ask during the setup, because it have two hard disk.. after i buy it and login to the control panel checking the server conf., NO RAID, and there was no way to re install the OS with RAID, I ask, they said they can not do it,... in a couple of hours I ask for a refund... the rep reply "Forward to billing" 2 days later I get this from DataShack "I am sorry sir, but it is stated in our ToS that we do not issue refunds, preconfigured server do not have any RAID options available on them"

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Does the website list that the server have Raid?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I do not see the problem here

• NO there is no mention about RAID, I assume I could ask since i was buying a server with 2 Hard Drive.

• Rules are rules. Why should they break their rules for someone that do not want to read them?

• Why don't you use mdadm yourself and create raid1 unless the 2nd drive has data. All you've shown us is your impatience and failure to ask questions prior to purchase.

Thanked by 4Hassan boernd jamson GCat
  • If they didn't list RAID on website, then they have no problem.

You can do software raid when the server is delivered though.

• Software RAID

• Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited December 2015

They have the right to refuse a refund. The problem was you assumed so that makes it not datashacks problem but your problem. You can always request IPMI and install the OS and partition the drives the way you want. I think datashack allows ipmi.

• Tony20Tony20 Member
    edited December 2015

@Nic_20TBSSD said:
    They have the right to refuse a refund. The problem was you assumed so that makes it not datashacks problem but your problem. You can always request IPMI and install the OS and partition the drives the way you want. I think datashack allows ipmi.

"Operating system options for preconfigured systems are limited to available selections on order form. KVM services are not provided for preconfigured servers."

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • @miTgiB said:
    Why don't you use mdadm yourself and create raid1 unless the 2nd drive has data. All you've shown us is your impatience and failure to ask questions prior to purchase.

I agree that was my mistake, not asking before I bought, but what kind of service provider doesn't want to make sure their customer is happy with the service they are offering? remember i will me paying a monthly fee...and if I am satisfied with their service I can buy more and recommend it.

• Use software RAID when the server details arrive. You should have opened a ticket to check beforehand if you didn't see it anywhere. Don't assume anything these days.

• Might want to quote the whole comment from their order page.

"Preconfigured Servers Cannot be Modified: Our preconfigured servers are designed for quick deployment. Preconfigured servers hardware (CPU/RAM/HDD) or IPs or bandwidth cannot be added or modified. Operating system options for preconfigured systems are limited to available selections on order form. KVM services are not provided for preconfigured servers."

• When you order from Datashack make sure to note on the order form that you would like the OS installed with Software RAID 1 (or whatever) and they'll do it for you.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2015

So you ordered a server, well knowing it wouldn't come with RAID pre-configured, without asking. Then you decided that instead of using software RAID, or asking them how to do it, you'd go against their TOS, as well as complain about them on LET?

No sympathy at all.

• @sin said:
    When you order from Datashack make sure to note on the order form that you would like the OS installed with Software RAID 1 (or whatever) and they'll do it for you.

NO form, that was my assumption, that I can always ask.. there is no form on "Preconfigured Servers"

• Tony20 said: NO form, that was my assumption, that I can always ask.. there is no form on "Preconfigured Servers"

Damn you're right, they used to have one when they first started doing the preconfigs :( and they told you they couldn't do a reinstall with software raid?

• I lose my money but DataShack , lose a customer for ever.

• @Tony20 - They don't really care.. trust me.. I've got a grandfathered colo plan there, yet they want more money from me if I replace anymore parts of my server. (noting, still within my plan's limitations)

they have a sales query email that you should have contacted prior to ordering to query them on anything you felt that you needed to ask etc.

I dare say this can just be closed, because we are all saying the exact same thing here.

• @sin said:
    Damn you're right, they used to have one when they first started doing the preconfigs :( and they told you they couldn't do a reinstall with software raid?

That is correct!

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Tony20 said: I agree that was my mistake, not asking before I bought, but what kind of service provider doesn't want to make sure their customer is happy with the service they are offering?

If you request a refund and they don't have the configuration you want to sell you, you're (1) not a customer and (2) just cost them money because as opposed to what many customers think, it's not 100% free to set everything up, to take payments, and to deal with you and your refund. Chances are if you're making a thread and complaining about you being unable to read what they offer and their refund policy, you're going to forget to read some other things and cause them trouble in the future as well.

With the extremely low prices they have, there's no room for courtesy refunds. What they should have done though, is deduct a setup fee and refund the rest.

• sin said: they used to have one when they first started doing the preconfigs

When did this change?

• If you think about it, why would you need a form/notes for a preconfig server? It's called preconfigured for a reason.

Thanked by 2lazyt jvnadr
  • sinsin Member
    edited December 2015

Ishaq said: If you think about it, why would you need a form/notes for a preconfig server? It's called preconfigured for a reason.

It was useful for small notes concerning OS setup which can be important with Datashack and Wholesale because they only allow 1 free reinstall per 30 days.

For example: when I ordered a preconfig and the OS form was messed up and only had CentOS selectable I was able to specify Debian 8...I put in a ticket just to confirm and the support person said that they did not have Debian 8 available as it was not the current stable version of Debian (obviously not true) but the tech doing the server install saw my note and gave me Debian 8 so that little note saved me :).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Threads like these make me want to buy service from these providers. I prefer to order services from "no nonsense" hosts that stick to their TOS. Prior to this thread I had no interest in DataShack but now I'm willing to order service from them. Thanks OP for the great review! :)

• KuJoe said: Thanks OP for the great review! :)

That is some funny stuff!

• Why waste/lose money on making changes on a in demand configuration for it to be reclaimed in less than 30 days.

I guess data centers need to look at free labor

• doughmanes said: I guess data centers need to look at free labor

Better still, charge them to work there. Workers will benefit from being able to put it on the resumes.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Ole_Juul said:

Basically an unpaid internship, which is the biggest scam out there.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • sin said: can be important with Datashack and Wholesale because they only allow 1 free reinstall per 30 days.

That's not true. They have automatic reinstall of the server (they call it reload) thru their client's area.