Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is NVMe and how does it differ from SSD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

From what I understand NVMe comes as a card and plugs into the PCI slots rather than the SATA ports. Other than that what is the main differences.

OVH mention it in comparison with SSD for the VPS plans.

Comments

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

NVMe is a PCI/PCIe interface for SSDs. So in short it is a SSD with PCI/PCIe instead of SATA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • It's 3 times faster on PCI/PCIe than SATA.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Would it be decent for an SSD Cache on VPS node?

• IO is also better with 300K+ with some

• Is the technology it uses for storage different from what is used in SSDs, ie does it use a faster form of storage, or it the same type of storage used in SSDs? I guess there were is no point in using the fastest storage in SSDs if the SATA/SAS interfaces cannot cope.

Now besides OVH when are LEB providers going to start providing it? Just when you thought SSD was the fastest kid on the block then comes NVMe.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Would it be decent for an SSD Cache on VPS node?

Probably too expensive. You can RAID 4x cheap SATA SSDs and get a little more speed?

• rchurch said: Is the technology it uses for storage different from what is used in SSDs, ie does it use a faster form of storage, or it the same type of storage used in SSDs? I guess there were is no point in using the fastest storage in SSDs if the SATA/SAS interfaces cannot cope.

Now besides OVH when are LEB providers going to start providing it? Just when you thought SSD was the fastest kid on the block then comes NVMe.

I haven't read into it, but I'd assume it's just a different interface and the underlying technology of the drive itself is the same. I could be wrong.

• Normal SATA SSDs are basically limited by the SATA interface speed. They could be faster but SATA wouldn't allow it. PCI/PCIe is a lot faster. So the storage chips are welded to mainboard with the controller and some other chips plus the NVMe interface. Allowing much faster speeds than SATA.

The storage chips are the same stuff you find in any other SSD. Various technologies though. I mean you know there are like this and that storage chip with 3D NAND and without and et cetera. TLC and other stuff.

• PetaByet said: You can RAID 4x cheap SATA SSDs and get a little more speed?

I don't think so. I have yet to exceed about 700MB/s with 4 SSD in raid10, and NVMe is not as limited as SATA III on throughput. My only concern currently with NVMe is density/redundancy. Putting 2 NVMe into a 1U chassis is not as easy as putting 4 2.5" SATA III drives.

• PCI/PCIe is faster than SATA. To avoid the SATA bottleneck. Too expensive.

• Presumably, NVMe also lets you wreck SSD drives a lot faster through excessive write operations.

• @miTgiB said:
    I don't think so. I have yet to exceed about 700MB/s with 4 SSD in raid10, and NVMe is not as limited as SATA III on throughput. My only concern currently with NVMe is density/redundancy. Putting 2 NVMe into a 1U chassis is not as easy as putting 4 2.5" SATA III drives.

RAID cache would help. There are some chassis around that support 2.5" NVMe drives.

• The easiest, super-simplified way to look at it is like this:

-PCI-E is a connector.

-NVMe is a language used to communicate through the connector.

The reason both are becoming more prominent is that the current standard connector (SATA) and language (AHCI) aren't capable of keeping up with modern SSDs. PCI-E and NVMe, implemented together, can.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

NVMe is rather expensive still... probably won't be in the LEB/LET market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167232

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Would it be decent for an SSD Cache on VPS node?

this and databases are what it's perfect for

• @PhotonVPS said:
    NVMe is rather expensive still... probably won't be in the LEB/LET market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167232

watch newegg, ther had a different intel model (300GB still) on sale for under 200 before christmas

• mightve been this non enterprise one now that i think about it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167359

if you are using it for a cache drive though, who gives a shit if it's enterprise or not

• @miTgiB said:
    Putting 2 NVMe into a 1U chassis is not as easy as putting 4 2.5" SATA III drives.

I've only really seen them used in 2-4U boxes with lots of HDDs - high density, high performance storage arrays.