Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do with a spare dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do with a spare dedicated server?

RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

Say you've got a spare dedicated server sitting around, maybe it was a server you got on a special, or something similar. Now you need to cover the costs for that server, until you can put your full attention into it. What are some easy-to-maintain ways of monitizing a dedicated server, WITHOUT selling people VPSes? What are some ways of utilizing a spare dedicated server in general?

If one day cPanel makes some sort of clustering system, I'd love to be able to add it to a "cpanel cluster", and have it sitting there as a backup node in a web cluster, but alas, no.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Backups of your backups of your backups.

• well, maybe lear to do more stuff, irc, vpn, tor, ipv6, tunnels, etc... thats why im going to do with a dedicated server i have.

• Well.. seeming that I have a TON of spare dedicated servers, I'll just write this here.

@dedicados: Personally I'd leave that to OpenVZ VPSes (due to the easy re installation of OS if you fudge up really bad, but that's just me).

On my spare dedicated servers I install proxmox into it to first break up the server (they usually come with 5 spare IPs or something). I then usually just make the VPSes into one monitoring (and then adding it to my monitoring network so it isn't centralized to one failure), and then one giant space VPS for the backups. Also depending on the location I might also run a game server off of one of the VPSes, but that's about it at the moment.

Source:
    I own a TON of dedicated servers. Seriously, like 10 or 12 (and these aren't even being used 100%)

• Slap yourself for paying (wasting) money on stuff you aren't using. No, really.

• I'd rent it out to people personally.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie Is that what you use all of your dedis for? If not, what do you have running on these 10 servers?

@gubbyte I make enough out of my servers that it isn't a huge loss, it's nice to have servers at the ready in case you need to scale rapidly (which I've had to do several times recently)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

@RobertJFClarke said: @HalfEatenPie Is that what you use all of your dedis for? If not, what do you have running on these 10 servers?

6 of them are broken up into individual VPS containers.
    (aka multipurpose user)

2 of them only came with 1 IP so they were used as mostly backup nodes and/or just a standard utility node (Utility = Misc use such as monitoring systems, music player, this and that really).

And 2 of those are just hanging out.

Most of them I purchased because they're great deals (and can no-longer be obtained at those prices)

Also, I always have a pool of resources/VPSes/Dedicated Servers that I can use immediately once I start a new project. Its always nice to have that (I don't have to go shopping around and can jump right into it).

• You have a good money factory in Game Servers. Minecraft and CS: Global Offensive servers are selling well and you can make a good money selling servers by slots (you can buy a server with many slots as you want).

TS3 (TeamSpeak 3) and Ventrilo servers are good to sell, even more if you make plans that include these servers with the game servers.

@EkaatyLinux I don't really want to resell, maybe there isn't another option...

• Have an extra server and want to keep it but have no use for it? Just install a virtualization software, XEN, KVM, OpenVZ, etc.. and just split the server in half and sell 2 VPS's from it.

• @Jeffrey said: and sell 2 VPS's from it.

Hm...

@RobertJFClarke said: WITHOUT selling people VPSes

Ahhh!!

• What's the problem? ahaha

edited January 2013

@Jeffrey said: What's the problem? ahaha

He doesn't want to sell VPSes. He wants other ideas excluding that idea. Its not a problem I'm just letting you know.

• Well I got one here laying around doing nothing! Somebody got a idea, hit me up! :)

• SAMBA?

• @RobertJFClarke, you can mine bitcoins...

• @EkaatyLinux

Could never really figure out how to do it successfully.

• @EkaatyLinux said: you can mine bitcoins...

Comparing the amount you pay for the dedicated server with the amount you'd get through bitcoin (especially since you don't have a graphics card really suitable for that) I find it more of a loss of money than anything else (although it would definitely lessen the bill by a few dollars in my opinion)

• You could just cancel it until you find something to do with it.

• Nothing i don't renew it and when i have an idea ill take it back.
    Don't do stuff you don't wanted because you have the tools.

edited January 2013

@Dragoon0309 said: You could just cancel it until you find something to do with it.

Well one issues I have with this is that some of mine are amazing deals you can't get anymore. Cancelling them would result in loss of that deal.

E.g.
    Dual Xeon 5420 (8 cores)
    16GB RAM
    2x 500GB HDD
    100Mbit unmetered
    For 40/month (yeah this is CM)

(I'm using it though don't worry)

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie

I thought CM were still offering those servers?

Anyway, after CM dropped Qwest, isn't their network horrible?

• BTC Mining won't really work unless you have a GPU. GPUs will mine hundreds of times faster.

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie Your right but your losing money if you know this in 2 months will be used its ok otherwise no. Do the math thing don't let you ported away by emotions

• @lele0108 said: Anyway, after CM dropped Qwest, isn't their network horrible?

They dropped Qwest? Well news to me. Honestly their network isn't that bad right now (for me atleast, it improved).

@tsanten said: Your right but your losing money if you know this in 2 months will be used its ok otherwise no.

Well, excluding VPSes I do use my Dedicated Servers within a week or two once I get it (excluding for maybe one).

@tsanten said: Do the math thing don't let you ported away by emotions

I'm not trying to sound all high or mighty or anything, but I do have a decent amount of disposable income which I sometimes (well most of the time) invest into Servers. I then have a "pool" of servers that I have that I can use immediately when that server's needs are required (location, specs, provider, etc.). Personally for me, (lets talk Economics here) this brings in more "Utils" than the amount that I'd be "saving" (and honestly, its much more helpful to me in this status).

I probably won't be changing this stance anytime soon (and I have decreased my purchasing rate of VPSes at this moment).

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Well, excluding VPSes I do use my Dedicated Servers within a week or two once I get it (excluding for maybe one).

In that case you don't need to think at canceling , i was intend for people how buy a server and use it for 2 month in one year or putting something up to not idle.

The whole idea behind is to reduce the number not to grow up or efficiency.

• @tsanten said: In that case you don't need to think at canceling , i was intend for people how buy a server and use it for 2 month in one year or putting something up to not idle.

Then it was a misunderstanding. Sorry about that!

• Was thinking this one stays without purpose:
    Dual Xeon 5420 (8 cores)
    16GB RAM
    2x 500GB HDD
    100Mbit unmetered
    For 40/month (yeah this is CM)

@HalfEatenPie

Who did you get that deal with?