Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nodedeploy ddos for the last couple of hours? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nodedeploy ddos for the last couple of hours?

Comments

• @Patrick said: It's a shame competitors or sad kids have to involve illegal activity to grow their e-balls, we're also receiving small to large ddos attacks at random times and currently peaking 400mb/s incoming attack specifically in the UK which is not that big and isn't effecting the node itself but isn't pleasant.

DDOS is never pleasant... some providers kick you out of you are target of constant DDOS.

• Got off the phone with them about 40 minutes ago, they are very helpful and the server is up and pinging again (Went down for about half hour).

• What UK datacenter are you with @BenND

• @Jack said: I am waiting for a reply from them , I asked them to drop my /24 but they seem to be ignoring me.

Been there, done that. They just ignored as expected.

• Rapidswitch (IOMart)

• Still getting lots of packet-loss on HERMES (UK) + IPv6 connectivity is down :(
    Hope this gets fixed soon ; just migrated my primary website over two days ago...
    Worst case I move everything back if this doesn't clear up :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Interesting stuff, I just got the UK services stood up a month ago and have been subjected to an insane amount of attempted sign up's which are obviously fake and more abusers than I have ever seen on a node in such a short period of time.

Maybe its time to work together and try to pin it down, could be nothing but I agree. its 'fishy'

Interesting that its only OpenVZ hosts getting targeted,

My suspicion is that its another host that does/did UK OpenVZ boxes and plans to start again, has a bit of butt hurt, has probably failed a few times with previous companies.

Sadly as an OpenVZ host it would be easy enough to build your own bot net without having to do any of the hard or dirty work yourself by essentially abusing your abusers, entering their containers and stealing all the scanned/bruted IP's

I would put up a new box, point your old test IP at it, make your conntrack as large as possible and your buckets 5 x the size and just run wireshark nothing else, then run through the pcap file and see what you can put together after an attack.

• @AnthonySmith would you mind pm'ing me your skype? We should all probably crowd source information. @Patrick I think I still have you on skype, will ding you soon.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@PhilND said: you know right when new hosts enter the uk market ;)

So you really believe that you have so big role in hosting industry to become target solely because of that? Get real... Ddos is sad part of hosting industry. Abusive clients, terminated ex clients, annoying company representatives, some wrong words written in public forums, extensive advertising, etc.. we can go that way whole day. Thousands potential reasons. Most of you (hosts) know it more than anyone. Competition? Yeah, there at LEB are 2 - 3 small .uk hosts which was ddosed constantly. Out of how many?

@AnthonySmith said: Maybe its time to work together and try to pin it down, could be nothing but I agree. its 'fishy'

Nice as idea but otherwise imho. waste of time. It's fishy just when few individuals because own personal bad experience make to look it that way. There's a lot abuse, no doubt about that. Some hosts are more exposed some aren't. But do you really believe that this has to do something with competition in .uk? I am not client of those two (we know who they are) most ddosed .uk LEB hosts however I happily use around 10 other .uk hosts who advertise at LEB/LET and most of them are actually very stable.
    LEB is not whole hosting world. Saying that I feel sorry for every small host trying to survive under constant attacks of some jerk or more of them however there among us isn't LEB host who would really stand out in .uk market and making look like there's some organized killing of competition doesn't look realistic to me.
    It's in human nature to search for reasons but that's about competition is just assuming. Conspiracy theory.. There's so many, really many .uk hosts that 1,2,3...5 little hosts don't mean much for whole .uk vps market as such. Do you personally as example fear of Nodedeploy entering of .uk market? Do you see any special benefit for your company because 3 other little hosts get ddosed?

• @Spirit Thanks for your input, though unnecessary and pretty much giving nothing useful to this thread. Did Phil state that we're a big shot? no. He simply stated the attacks started again, right when two new LEB hosts enter the uk market. These attacks seem to be specifically targeted at companies who advertise on this forum, hence asking other providers if they have experienced the same.

We had a ddos attack on our webserver and our UK node when the service was launched, i.e not a single active customer on the box so the 'oh your customer pissed someone off' doesn't apply. Then as soon as two specific LET hosts (who might i add have been at each others throats) (re)launches we get the same kind of crap that we had to deal with over 3 months ago.

Thanks.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@BradND who gave something useful to this thread? You? We're just discussing and that's my opinion. Yeah, lets blame competition if you will feel better but that's eactly thing which don't contribute to anything. Or I am just lucky to use around 10 other .uk hosts which competiton don't see as threat for their business?

@Spirit I understand your perspective, its not one I can share on this occasion.

I know you are not aware but there are a few to many coincidences in it all that will remain private for now.

LEB is not the whole hosting world, but ... and its a big but, a few hosts have set up entirely based on the low end market so for them it is the whole hosting world they absolutely should fear effective competition and have ready made menu of targets.

@Liam thanks I am more aware than most what the DPA covers.

• edited January 2013

We get DDOS attacks daily. Since the new year there have been 23 seperate attacks to one location alone. 3 of which were today.

All attacks were IP fragmentation attacks from spoofed IPs. Sadly DDOS is the way of the industry.

One thing we are getting a lot of is false-positive abuse reports from hetzner.

• @AnthonySmith are you getting a lot of ddos (you, not your clients) in .uk too?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@ShardHost said: One thing I we are getting a lot of is false-positive abuse reports from hetzner.

I've received 2 false positives also from Hetzner, this occurs only when there is a ddos attack

• @Shardhost, Indeed we see many attacks across our german location, which infact isn't a problem, the key point is here however we launched the service and our billing system and node became under the SAME type of attack at the SAME time, just like this one. There are a ton of coincidences as mentioned by @AnthonySmith.

@Spirit nope, last one was 23rd Dec about 2 weeks after starting up the UK services.

• @BradND said: @Shardhost, Indeed we see many attacks across our german location, which infact isn't a problem, the key point is here however we launched the service and our billing system and node became under the SAME type of attack at the SAME time, just like this one. There are a ton of coincidences as mentioned by @AnthonySmith.

Im not sure what action you are taking but you might want to consider putting your website behind a proxy from a DDOS mitigation provider. Do you have any hardware to help filter the attacks in the UK?

• @ShardHost we've done that now, but the point is the current infrastructure we did have in place never needed to face a 1.2M PPS flood except on those very two occasions indicated above..

I'm a guy that doesn't like to cry wolf, but when it's time to post the facts of what we've witnessed on two occasions so targeted like this then one begins to wonder if there is some sort of motive, no?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@BradND said: There are a ton of coincidences as mentioned by @AnthonySmith.

Mostly between kiddie hosts. Only in this thread we see two hosts which most of us know can't stand each other. But this has nothing to do about entering .uk market but their own unsolved issue. (I am not saying that those two hosts ddos each other, it's just example to prove my point).

Anyway, I have incredible luck with picking my .uk hosts. Among stablest stuff I have.

edit. ddosed hosts, don't be angry at me for taking devil's advocate role in your argument. I can imagine how much can ddos hurt your business and I feel sorry for that. It's just that I doubt in some posted things.

• @Spirit said: Among stablest stuff I have

As was ours, not a single issue with this server. (barring the previous two incidents) if you literally take some time to research you will be able to find a few past incidents like this.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@BradND said: if you literally take some time to research you will be able to find a few past incidents like this.

Yes, but is this really .uk market specific? I have more VPSs than most people here (I don't even dare to post number) however I can't see country specific pattern stated above. I can be wrong, tho.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

@Spirit said: I have more VPSs than most people here (I don't even dare to post number)

Who's showing off now?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@Ishaq said: Who's showing off now?

:) You won't find my post in any "how many VPSs do you have" LEB thread :) Infact it's first time that I said this in all those years of being member LEB/LET community. Anyway, lets hope that I am right regarding this thread and behind this ddos isn't some organized group/competition.

• @Spirit said: :) You won't find my post in any "how many VPSs do you have" list :)

I didn't say I could find it. But you were just previously accusing Nodedeploy of showing off. And now you're saying how you won't even dare to post the amount of VPS you have because it's too much?

If you're going to accuse someone for trying to showoff, at least don't do it yourself.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@Ishaq said: But you were just previously accusing Nodedeploy of showing off

Huh?
    No, no - I never said neither meant that. Maybe you understood it wrong - or my limited english... I was talking that few little hosts more or less in country doesn't mean much for competition and that I doubt in systematical ruining of competition by killing FEW smaller hosts. (small here isn't used in bad way but globally hosting industry looking)

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

@Spirit said: Huh?

No, no - I never said neither meant that. Maybe you understood it wrong

@Spirit said: So you really believe that you have so big role in hosting industry

Let me make my version of this, so you really believe anyone gives a damn how many VPS you have?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

No, of course not. That's really unimportant. Don't be so nervous. It's nothing to fight about here.

• I think a few things here have been lost in translation. I do not think that anyone means any harm here