Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PowerDNS or BIND9?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PowerDNS or BIND9?

AsimAsim Member
edited November 2011 in Help

I want to take a public opinion/suggestions/advises/comments about two things

Firstly,

I have been running a beta with local users on free-dns-hosting (After EveryDNS closed its doors for LEB users http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/28/everydns-reminder/#Item_1). Initially I have been doing it with PowerDNS with MySQL backend and it worked great.

However, I want to get public opinion on which one is better? Bind9 (with MySQL backend) or PowerDNS?
The reason why I am using MySQL backend is simple, MySQL replication. So NS2 - NS5 can update automagically via replication :)

Secondly,

I failed to find any free script that can work out of the box to offer users to manage their DNS records. I am forced to write an in-house script that is time consuming and since I have busy routine, its going to take weeks before its finalized :(

Please advise/suggest any script that can serve to allow users to register and manage their DNS records

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r mrm2005

Comments

• 2nd that.. i need to know too. :)

• KeithKeith Member
    edited November 2011

Have you looked at poweradmin to manage DNS for powerdns?

https://www.poweradmin.org

MySql replication is not necessary for Powerdns if setting up supermasters works for your domains

http://doc.powerdns.com/slave.html#supermaster

Myself, I use a nsd3 master with Powerdns slaves, the zone files are in text files, edited on my desktop with nano/a python script, updating the nameservers with ssh.

• ZeroZero Member
    edited November 2011

Is MySQL necessary for DNS replication?

I'm using BuddyNS as secondary DNS provider and all I have done was to modify Bind config file to allow transfers to BuddyNS IPs.

So I think you can replicate this behaviour somehow.

• I just rsync the zone files around.

Thanked by 1kylix
  • kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

I would also say that MySQL has quite a big overhead for simple DNS. I used MyDNS for quite some time because of the ease to deal with MySQL-Queries. But now switched to MaraDNS some month ago. I can now run a complete nameserver on 20MB RAM. That is quite nice. Replication can be done via rsync.

• I'm using PowerDNS on my DNS setup on 3 LEBs and one Linode, with MySQL replication and using PowerAdmin to manage it (some custom SQL queries at times too).

I would thoroughly recommend it.

For those that think MySQL is a big overhead, PowerDNS has an excellent and customisable internal caching feature, so the number of hits to the MySQL backend is minimal (relative to DNS queries responded) on an optimised setup.

Obviously it's not going to be as minimal of a setup as something like NSD for a LEB, but with the intent on managing a large number of zones/domains with ease and ability to handle a decent number of queries per second I wouldn't change it for anything.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@kylix said: But now switched to MaraDNS some month ago. I can now run a complete nameserver on 20MB RAM.

w00t? I need that! I am using BIND and it wastes a lot of RAM!

• Yeah, MaraDNS FTW

I use it as DNS cacher in my home :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I just upgraded to 512 because bind consumes too much ram.. damn, i am just paying for nothing :(

• atm on LEBs i use pdns-recursor when i need a caching recursive resolver and and nsd3 for authoritative. But my $dayjob main auth server is bind 9 on a dedicated box.

• hmm, from the discussion I assume my choice is PowerDNS with MySQL backend is fine but I should tweak it to work with supermaster (thanks @Keith )

@Keith Also on the PowerAdmin note, I installed and tested it, it assumes you are the only one interacting with powerDNS, what I am looking for is a prebuilt script (else I would have to write my own) to allow users to register for an account and then add/edit/delete their own zone files, admin would have more privilages to edit supermaster, templates etc

• jhjh Member

It's not free but we use 4PSA and it works brilliantly. Again not free but HostBill have something that interacts with PowerDNS to allow users to manage their own DNS.

• btw, i follow this tutorial a couple month ago but ended up with broken MySQL (when doing slave replication), anyone know where i can get "more better" mysql db replication tutorial?

• @jtodd Nice, I just saw HostBill's PowerDNS integration, it does all that I am trying to create but then again, it has a monthly recurring payment of $5.95/mo

I am already trying to make this a totally free service and this "recurring" charge is somewhat a setback. Think I am going to go back to the drawing board and code my own system :(

• @Asim I usually find it much easier to code your own system or extend existing ones to support a finer permissions system so that you can restrict users to certain zones.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @yomero said: Yeah, MaraDNS FTW

I use it as DNS cacher in my home :P

MaraDNS über alles! :D

I use it since around two years.

• @tortau Yes, I am thinking about the same. I am doing it in YiiFramework and plan to make it available for everyone soon, but it may take 4-6 weeks for that to happen.

• @Asim: we're using PowerDNS with mySQL replication on stellardns.com
    As for the admin part we have3 levels, the "admin", the "reseller" and the "user". Also at the admin and reseller level it's possible to create templates and have the user create a "domain" based on a template (by giving just a few IPs)
    We checked some of the existing web-front ends but decided to write our own :-)
    IF you would like to have a look at our system I can offer you (or better REoffer you) a free account on our DNS system. (offer you one a couple of months ago, but no reaction from you at that time).

• @dirk said: We checked some of the existing web-front ends but decided to write our own :-)

Cool, that is what I want to do :)

@dirk said: IF you would like to have a look at our system I can offer you (or better REoffer you) a free account on our DNS system. (offer you one a couple of months ago, but no reaction from you at that time).

OMG, I totally missed that. Sure would love to have a look into your system

• @Asim did you get the message with the username/password for the DNS system? (as you didn't login to it yet ....)

• @jtodd said: Again not free but HostBill have something that interacts with PowerDNS to allow users to manage their own DNS.

sidenote : with minimum yearly license. :(

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited December 2011

If you don't have that much free RAM, BIND has more chances to fail and stop working thereafter and for the same reason that it eats a lot of RAM, so once the RAM is full it's possible that you come back to find BIND is down.

Wherein other memory efficient DNS reduces the chance your RAM is full by saving some of it + not requiring a lot of memory to actually work or forking new process.

With that mentioned, I personally use BIND! :-) Since that's my current setup and I'm used to it, it does the job I need. And I'm yet to know which alternative is really the best , to go with.

• @dirk nope :(

• I'm very comfortable with BIND, but decided to use Unbound on my 512MB VPS due to it's reputation as being small and fast. I gave Unbound 2 months for it to prove itself, trying both threaded and forked configurations. Now I'm using BIND v9.7.

Unbound just couldn't keep up with resolutions at roughly 10,000/day. There would be pauses of 2, or 3, or 5 or even 10 seconds when the server would not respond. No, the poor responsiveness was not due to low-memory condition as the swap file was never touched.

Anyway, I would advise against using Unbound as your DNS server.

• @Asim: password was reset and resend, this time from my @woodstone.nu account.
    Let me know if you get it