Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IS OVH High??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IS OVH High??

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited January 2013 in General

So, I was going to order an IP block of 4 IPv4 addresses for my node with OVH in BHS and I get this:

terrible ip prices

$20/Month, $4 for installation. Am I missing something?? $20/Month for an IP Block of 4 IPv4 Addresses? WTF

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

$20/month is for professional usage. This cost doesn't go up, no matter how many IP's you buy ;)

• @dominicl Please explain to me what "Professional use" is. All I need is 4 more IP addresses, no more, so this price point is pretty much ridiculous to me.

@Jeffrey said: @dominicl Please explain to me what "Professional use" is. All I need is 4 more IP addresses, no more, so this price point is pretty much ridiculous to me.

Basically, OVH require all customers who need extra IP's to purchase a stupid professional usage thing. If you want extra IP's then you will need this. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it enables you to get more IPs and you do need it.

Then I believe you only pay $4 one time for the IP's, but you still have to pay $20/mo for this professional usage thing.

Regards,
    Dominic

• @dominicl I can see that this would be a good deal for people ordering 30+ IP's, however, all I need is 4 more addresses. I don't wanna oversell my node. lol

• Professional usage is a psuedo fee to give you access to use things like:

Additional IPs
    USB Sticks
    NAS storage etc

I think the only thing you get included with professional usage is KVM access.

@Jeffrey said: @dominicl I can see that this would be a good deal for people ordering 30+ IP's, however, all I need is 4 more addresses. I don't wanna oversell my node. lol

Yeah, I think it is ridiculous and can understand it if you want 30 or more IP's too. That's the way it is though, unfortunately :(

• Europe Ran out of IP addresses so each company will get a final /22 and that's it so I would expect european ip prices to skyrocket.

• That's how the make money.

Selling cheap dedicated servers and taking crazy prices for services like upgrading something or extra IPs.

• Oh boy, you just found out about that?

Good luck, you really will need it.

• Same thing we can see with Hetzner

• Well, how else do you think do they earn money?

A few 18€ are nothing, they won't cover all costs.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

umm... OVH gives you a great deal on ips with only $1 setup then free forever. And yes you need the professional use thing :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@dominicl said: think it is ridiculous and can understand it if you want 30 or more IP's too.

it will cost $30 for IP addresses and $20 for Pro Use = $50 for 30 IPs .

• Pro use also gives you IPMI/KVM, and the ability to add other things (USB sticks I believe)

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 2013

@Jeffrey said: @dominicl I can see that this would be a good deal for people ordering 30+ IP's, however, all I need is 4 more addresses. I don't wanna oversell my node. lol

If you only need 3 more addresses, email support and ask them to assign you the ability to add 3 Failover IPs. They come with the server, free. Although in BHS I couldn't add them immediately from Manager v5 since I had to have support fix my quota.

Add these to the server, they're free and can be Geolocated in the US or Canada.

Got a BHS 119 euro/year special with Free IPs. It came time to 'Renew' the IPs for 0.00, which would kick back an error, so I renewed the IPs for 36 months for free with a 14.99 euro FR Kimsufi Invoice.

Don't get the pro / addon option, just ask them to add your allotted 3 extra Failover IPs.

• @Kris Thanks for the information, but I already have those. ;)

• Ah, got it. I thought you were just looking for 4 total. At least it may help someone else. My bad :)

• @Kris said: At least it may help someone else. My bad :)

You helped me thanks!

• @WebProject said: it will cost $30 for IP addresses and $20 for Pro Use = $50 for 30 IPs .

30 apples + 20 peers = 50 apples? no
    $20 monthly and $1 per IP once

@BronzeByte said: $20 monthly and $1 per IP once

Haha, it's used to be not any more.
    Check this URL:
    http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ripe_ip_block.xml
    Block size: 32 - Monthly price: $32.00

• additional Pro Usage - $20
      = $52 per month extra!
  • @WebProject From looking at the image I provided, it's different than that?

@Jeffrey said: From looking at the image I provided, it's different than that?

can be bug in OVH system, as it's definitely they charge per month per IP + Pro usage. I know that some servers come with additional 3 IPs at no extra cost.