Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrate Proxmox to Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrate Proxmox to Virtualizor

Hi,

Is there any to migrate from proxmox KVM VPS > Virtualizor KVM VPS ???
Thank in advance.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Do you have access to the host node?

• what you run VM by filebased (raw) or qcow2 on Virtualizor? If file .raw on Virtualizor, you need migrate all file vm.raw on Proxmox to /var/virtualizor/kvm, change filename vm.raw to vm.img. login to admin panel then add template (as filename you set) and create the VM which template added.

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited December 2015

Why would you want too is the question... Seriously though we use Proxmox on our VPS hypervisors and I'm interested to know why you would want to migrate?

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • ratherbak3d said: Why would you want too is the question...

Yea, that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

step one, have someone suspend your guest servers at random.

step two, have someone inflate your databases to 40GB over night every now and then.

step three, get really angry every time you have to do something.

step four, ask yourself if you enjoyed the first 3 steps, if no then do not proceed, else go to step five.

step five, open a ticket with virtualizor asking this question, give them full root access (they will ask for that even if you ask them what time it is) and your done. (in 4 - 8 painful weeks)

step six, plan your return to proxmox.

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2015

Pretty much what @AnthonySmith said.

AnthonySmith said: (in 4 - 8 painful weeks)

Thats one the quick side...

• Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited December 2015

Proxmox is where to be at this point in time. It gives you pretty much full control over everything from I/O to basic VM control, bascially what everyone else is telling you "stick with proxmox".

• To sum up what @AnthonySmith, when you then follow up and ask them to tell you what they did so you can do it yourself next time, they won't share their sacred secrets.

• norival1992 said: Is there any to migrate from proxmox KVM VPS > Virtualizor KVM VPS

Are you tired of providing quality VPS and wish to provide a substandard experience?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited December 2015

been using Proxmox 3.x for quite some time.

now as 4.x released and I want to move to it, I am trying to update some of my servers.

But I have got very miserable results with openvz to LXC migrations.

Bare debian, centos etc servers migrate quite well but the important servers with DirectAdmin and such as wowza installed need a lot of in server updates and tweaks after migration.

which make the migration itself unnecessary. Because instead of dealing with stupid errors especially because of LXC network stuff to Openvz is quite different . It's better to deploy a new server with KVM and backup restore everything to new KVM virtual server.

Openvz is always the adopted child of proxmox and they wanted to get rid of it from the beginning.

But this no openvz in 4.x series is a very very bad decision in my opinion.

It will take at least a year for me to switch all openvz servers to KVM.

And no , after testing and using and experiencing LXC in 4.x current proxmox. I am not thinking about using it ever.

KVM technology is far superior than LXC and the main reason I like openvz - flat file based storage - is now a history.

So, proxmox have also it's own issues.. LXC sucks!

Thanked by 2jvnadr geekalot
  • I've held off from 4.x due to LXC

• Got solutions now, move file *.raw to virtualizor. And create similar VPS at virtualizor and replace new virtualizor by old *.raw

• @AnthonySmith said:
    step one, have someone suspend your guest servers at random.

step two, have someone inflate your databases to 40GB over night every now and then.

step three, get really angry every time you have to do something.

step four, ask yourself if you enjoyed the first 3 steps, if no then do not proceed, else go to step five.

step five, open a ticket with virtualizor asking this question, give them full root access (they will ask for that even if you ask them what time it is) and your done. (in 4 - 8 painful weeks)

step six, plan your return to proxmox.

Why would they ask for full root access? That tells me that they don't have good logs. Plus, they can just ask you do execute command X and Y, and send them the output... Seems dangerous to give random people root access to (production) machines.

• @norival1992 said:
    Got solutions now, move file *.raw to virtualizor. And create similar VPS at virtualizor and replace new virtualizor by old *.raw

Watch out Virtualizor has a habit for formating a new disk for no reason at all when you do a reboot sometimes.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2015

@Raymii yep logging is not something they even slightly understand the importance off, combine that with every single error producing "There was some error" and its just a fucking mess, typical cheap shit software development with not a single shit given when it comes to quality.