Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN More than one user at a time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN More than one user at a time

When using OpenVPN, if another person connects the first connection is dropped. How do I make it so a unlimited number of people can connect?

Comments

• Why not create more than one user on the OpenVPN server?

• @Ishaq said:
    Why not create more than one user on the OpenVPN server?

Because everyone will be using the same user file.

• https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

Use that, it can create more than one user/file.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • We can't use the same user more than 1 concurrent login. If 1 user connected, they will be assigned 1 IP Address. If another person login using the same user/password, they will be disconnected.

I'm having this issue when I want to make an openvpn for all people at my office using 1 username/password. Solution is only make 1 user for 1 person to login.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited December 2015

Add duplicate-cn to the server conf file.

• @Ishaq said:
    https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

Use that, it can create more than one user/file.

The whole point of it is that everyone will be using the same profile, using that won't help.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    Add duplicate-cn to the server conf file.

Doesn't seem to work unless I did it wrong.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

JustAMacUser said: Add duplicate-cn to the server conf file.

This directive on the server is indeed the solution, but not recommended for normal usage. I can't think of many good reasons to be using the same certificate for multiple users.

• You could use a preshared key, but then again generating different certificates is just as easy. https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/78-static-key-mini-howto.html

• @serverhunter said:
    Doesn't seem to work unless I did it wrong.

You probably did something wrong. No offence intended. OpenVPN doesn't allow the same certificate to be used concurrently. This directive allows that.

Did you restart the process after changing the conf file?

P.S. As @Nyr mentioned, using this is discouraged; there's more info in the OpenVPN docs regarding why.

• edited December 2015

@JustAMacUser said:
    P.S. As Nyr mentioned, using this is discouraged; there's more info in the OpenVPN docs regarding why.

Yeah I restarted the server and that seemed to fix it, thanks. I don't really care much about security, as all Im using this for is to change the geolocation. Whats the main risk of using it?

• you'll have to revoke that key and issue a new one to everyone.

if you used 1 cert/1 person, that the rest of the keys would remain fine.

serverhunter said: Yeah I restarted the server and that seemed to fix it, thanks. I don't really care much about security, as all Im using this for is to change the geolocation. Whats the main risk of using it?

• @GM2015 said:
    you'll have to revoke that key and issue a new one to everyone.

if you used 1 cert/1 person, that the rest of the keys would remain fine.

Why would I ever need to revoke a key?

• If the device on which the certificate is installed is lost or stolen, if the key somehow gets compromised, if an employee leaves a company, etc., etc.

Thanked by 2Nyr Ole_Juul
  • I meant the same thing cert=key, sorry.

serverhunter said: Why would I ever need to revoke a key?

• OpenVPN Access Server

• Just use SoftEther VPN, it also include unlimited user connection via OpenVPN protcol.

• guyz92 said: Just use SoftEther VPN, it also include unlimited user connection via OpenVPN protcol.

but extremely slow unless you use bridge

• guyz92guyz92 Member
    edited December 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    but extremely slow unless you use bridge

Setting OpenVPN also require tun/tap.
    Same goes to SoftEther VPN.

• guyz92 said: Setting OpenVPN also require tun/tap. Same goes to SoftEther VPN.

you do not need tun/tap for SoftEther.

• hoslerhosler Member
    edited December 2015

you can edit iptables to allow anyone in a specific group to route through the vpn virtual interface. there is a term for this, but i forgot it. sorry.

edit: relevant link https://www.niftiestsoftware.com/2011/08/28/making-all-network-traffic-for-a-linux-user-use-a-specific-network-interface/

• @TarZZ92 said:
    you do not need tun/tap for SoftEther.

It's true that SoftEther can do secureNAT, but it is not as fast as local bridge.

That is why local bridge is must to ensure high network performance.

It also support L2TP,SSTP,SSL-VPN, ICMP VPN and DNS base VPM out of the box. No need to install additional Software.