Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't Skrill a common payment method for LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why isn't Skrill a common payment method for LEB?

Skrill is a common payment system with low fees for micro-payments. Why only a few providers accept Skrill as a method of payment for LEB services?

Thanked by 1Hassan

Comments

• good question.
    Skrill is mostly targeted on betting and online gambling based and their main client base is in Europe maybe that's why?

BTW I have seen tons of providers from Europe accepting Skrill.

• Fraud and chargebacks :(

• Bartok said: Why only a few providers accept Skrill as a method of payment for LEB services?

From the US, Skrill is a nightmare. Even after providing articles of incorporation they still want more flaming hoops jumped through, in the end I abandoned them as too flaky to deal with.

• CasterCaster Member
    edited December 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Fraud and chargebacks :(

very less likely than PayPal that any one can say :P

• @miTgiB said:
    From the US, Skrill is a nightmare. Even after providing articles of incorporation they still want more flaming hoops jumped through, in the end I abandoned them as too flaky to deal with.

Hear hear, they used to be Moneybookers and they was a pain to get a business account with, so why waste time with the same company, different name. It's also a bit target by fraudsters and criminals. But then they also use PayPal for fraud, criminals don't use it much anymore due to PayPal's tough policies and closes and freezes funds.

And they have a lot of 1* reviews for Skrill: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/skrill.com

• Because they suck, they never reply to my emails when I need them unless I spam their twitter.

Thanked by 1asf
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited December 2015

Last time i looked they wanted some fee of 20EUR / month, no matter if any transactions went through them or not. Also their other fees were higher than paypal's.

Really, only people who couldn't get a paypal account would probably use them. And there are not that many such people.

• rds100 said: And there are not that many such people.

And the rest use 2checkout, almost a shitty as Skrill

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited December 2015

Aren't they the ones that said they were no longer accepting USA customers? Had something to do with one of the three letter agencies and funds if I remember right.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

they don't give transaction fee's on their API, they dont provide accurate balance sheets, this causes accounting nightmares, it takes 6+ weeks to get an account, they hold everything for 30 - 180 days, support is worse than the worst outsources tech support you ever used and they are known for closing accounts for very little reason and keeping all your money.

In short, there is no advantage over the alternatives as a host e.g. stripe.

Thanked by 2Four20 alexvolk
  • @lazyt said:
    Aren't they the ones that said they were no longer accepting USA customers? Had something to do with one of the three letter agencies and funds if I remember right.

That was Payza: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1326875

• miTgiB said: From the US, Skrill is a nightmare. Even after providing articles of incorporation they still want more flaming hoops jumped through, in the end I abandoned them as too flaky to deal with.

That.

Over the years i tried to get multiple merchant accounts with Skrill in various segments (Hosting, Gambling, Money transfer) and they - for an absolutely unknown reason - only accept shady looking companies. If you are legit you'll have a hard time dealing with them.

They also have a HIGH preference to deal with UK LTDs only it seems, i've did not hear of my Germans/Austrians or US corps getting merchant/billing accounts.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    they don't give transaction fee's on their API, they dont provide accurate balance sheets, this causes accounting nightmares, it takes 6+ weeks to get an account, they hold everything for 30 - 180 days, support is worse than the worst outsources tech support you ever used and they are known for closing accounts for very little reason and keeping all your money.

In short, there is no advantage over the alternatives as a host e.g. stripe.

Hell, the support couldn't even figure out what I was selling. I pointed them to what I sell multiple times, I provided them information on how to order and they still sent me those letters telling me that they couldn't identify what I sell.

After 3 months I gave up.

• As a buyer i say skrill sucks, as a merchant seller I say fuck skrill

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I used to have a different business and used them. They started getting super shady and asked for so much information and then just said they couldn't serve us anything or something to that effect after we used them for a couple of years.

Then they with-held funds or did something else and I had to have our lawyer contact them to release our funds.

So with everything everyone else is saying it seems like they have some serious issues in actually letting people use them properly.

• anyway a bit offtopic. how safe is Stripe anyway? i mean the payout form is within the hosting provider website, how can we know they dont phishing.

• Skrill has very bad support, website always needs updating, links never work, business account sign up fails and no tracking for taxes. I feel like I can go on forever the're just not worth the hassle. I used them for awhile with some small things I needed on a regular basis and just to satisfy some local groups that I needed to pay but as for accepting them from a business standpoint just to much of a hassle still falls #2 to paypal, in my opinion.

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • creep said: i mean the payout form is within the hosting provider website, how can we know they dont phishing.

It is not; it is just an iframe or the POST data (if you look at the source) goes directly to Stripe - The provider never sees any CC data unless he modifies this (which would be illegal, not the mod, but "stealing"/recording CCs without consent/PCI-DSS).

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Bartok said:
    Skrill is a common payment system with low fees for micro-payments. Why only a few providers accept Skrill as a method of payment for LEB services?

We accept Skrill

• Hassan said: We accept Skrill

I feel bad for you then.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

It's a pain in the ass, I used to use it back in the Moneybookers days - and I wish I hadn't... 90% of the fraud I saw, was all through Moneybookers... while it might be a nice system for some - it's only used by gamblers and criminals...

Also, isn't too friendly to sole proprietors...

Stay away from it - you are doing yourself a massive favour.

• If i remember correctly (note, i tried out skrill, a fair few years back)

Merchants not only get charged transaction fee's, but also get charged a monthly fee for using their service too (only marginal, but still for i dare say 99% of the time, outweighs the income from customers using skrill)

I do say, that the only benefit of Skrill was the live deposits that i could do from my AU bank account if needed. but other than that.. not worth it.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I always got the impression they weren't reputable but I wish I could remember why i thought that

• paypal or bitcoin, where does skrill come in?

• NetworkPandaNetworkPanda Member
    edited December 2015

We tried to use Skrill once upon time. Very few payments (less than 1%, the rest 99% were using PayPal) and Skrill asks you to pay $25 per month "gateway fee" just to use their payment gateway, even if you receive only 1 payment per month for $0.50. Not to mention their support never responding to any message. Not worth at all.