Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Request] Virmach Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Request] Virmach Review

Comments

• noamannoaman Member

@Gunter said:
    I was wondering what everyone's experiences with Virmach have been? Can anyone offer any insight into how well functioning the service is?

Virmach is a good hosting provider ...just keep in mind they were having some glitches in their Germany setup...but the node was up and support is good...but they don't have a status page..

When the outage happened they didnot inform their client... that's one thing i didn't like ....otherwise a good hosts

• JarryJarry Member

Someone from VirMach promised exciting offer: the cheapest 512MB VPS we can get! IIRC it was two weeks ago. They already have some delay, but I'm still waiting...

• KobeKobe Member

@Jarry said:
    Someone from VirMach promised exciting offer: the cheapest 512MB VPS we can get! IIRC it was two weeks ago. They already have some delay, but I'm still waiting...

They said July 2nd but I am getting the feeling that they won't actually deliver, or it'll be a loss leader promotion in a very limited amount.

• JarryJarry Member

It was on June 16th when they said "Next week we are have an exciting offer that I guarantee will be the cheapest you can get a 512MB VPS for". But true, later it was shifted to "approx. July 2nd". Moreover, they recently had some problem with web or whatever, so it might get another delay...

• nepsneps Member

postcd said: Please is Virmach still good to get a VPS from them? Which city you advice?

Happy with mine. I have six or seven VPSs with them. Very minor hiccups every now and then, but you get those everywhere. Support is great.

• KobeKobe Member

Jarry said: It was on June 16th when they said "Next week we are have an exciting offer that I guarantee will be the cheapest you can get a 512MB VPS for". But true, later it was shifted to "approx. July 2nd". Moreover, they recently had some problem with web or whatever, so it might get another delay...

It didn't happen unfortunately.

• hacktekhacktek Member
    edited July 2016

I just ordered one from Atlanta. LG gave me good latency for my location (70ish) but after ordering i'm getting twice as that, it's doubling from edge router to VPS.

HOST: raspberrypi                 Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      1.|-- 192.168.3.3                0.0%   100    0.8   0.8   0.7   1.9   0.1
      2.|-- ???                       100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
      3.|-- 10.12.10.1                 1.0%   100   13.2  20.9   9.7 180.7  20.7
      4.|-- 186.32.0.221               1.0%   100   12.7  23.5   9.9 252.5  28.6
      5.|-- 186.32.0.209               2.0%   100  121.2  90.6  70.7 147.4  15.6
      6.|-- 190.106.192.232           59.0%   100   75.2  85.6  62.3 160.8  18.8
      7.|-- 4.15.152.1                98.0%   100  136.4 135.9 135.3 136.4   0.8
      8.|-- ???                       100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
      9.|-- 4.68.127.154               0.0%   100   71.9  74.2  60.8 120.5  13.7
     10.|-- 89.149.184.21              0.0%   100   88.9  85.1  74.3 145.9  14.7
        |  `|-- 89.149.186.54
     11.|-- 69.31.135.94              42.0%   100  167.7 147.2 131.5 189.6   9.0
     12.|-- 69.31.134.226             37.0%   100   77.0  81.3  74.9 120.0   9.3
     13.|-- 107.172.25.130             0.0%   100   75.9  82.3  73.7 115.4  10.0
     14.|-- 107.172.25.210             1.0%   100  148.0 151.2 132.0 198.9  12.3

I've opened a support ticket, hopefully it gets sorted.

• snacsnac Member
    edited July 2016

Seattle OpenVZ 128mb yearly, no issues.

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    CPU Cores   : 1
    Frequency   : 1200.500 MHz
    Memory      : 128 MB
    Swap        : 0 MB
    Uptime      : 5 days, 6:34,

OS      : Debian GNU/Linux 7
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 2.6.32-042stab113.11
    Hostname    : bonbon

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    28.0MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      721KB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   19.3MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   21.1MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   31.6MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   3.06MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      14.7MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   9.79MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     9.30MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    37.1MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 86.8 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 29.7 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 49.4 MB/s
    Average I/O : 55.3 MB/s

• @snac said:

You should remove your IP to prevent ddos welcomes.

• snacsnac Member
    edited July 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:

@snac said:

You should remove your IP to prevent ddos welcomes.

Oh god whoops, thanks. Wouldn't want another AureAWorld disaster

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Jarry said: Someone from VirMach promised exciting offer: the cheapest 512MB VPS we can get! IIRC it was two weeks ago. They already have some delay, but I'm still waiting...

Kobe said: They said July 2nd but I am getting the feeling that they won't actually deliver, or it'll be a loss leader promotion in a very limited amount.

Kobe said: It didn't happen unfortunately.

Sorry for the delays - this is why I usually don't like disclosing upcoming sales because it's hard to set dates in stone. Anyway, the sale is now live. The offer I was speaking about is the 512MB OpenVZ for $5/yr. I hope this fit your expectations. I may have accidentally over-hyped the sale with one comment I made on that LET thread.

It is a loss leader & limited number as @Kobe speculated, but it's limited to 100 quantity which I believe is a good amount.

• KobeKobe Member

VirMach said: Sorry for the delays - this is why I usually don't like disclosing upcoming sales because it's hard to set dates in stone. Anyway, the sale is now live. The offer I was speaking about is the 512MB OpenVZ for $5/yr. I hope this fit your expectations. I may have accidentally over-hyped the sale with one comment I made on that LET thread.

<3 Amir

• netrixnetrix Member

Value+ server bear benchmark:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2016/07/06/bkvAeikuSQujfO4X

• They use maxmind for fraud detection, so if you're traveling like myself and your IP doesn't match your billing address location exactly they'll want to see a proof of residency and an identification document. I didn't want to bother so I went elsewhere and found just as good a deal if not better.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • KobeKobe Member
    edited August 2016

@conlustro said:
    They use maxmind for fraud detection, so if you're traveling like myself and your IP doesn't match your billing address location exactly they'll want to see a proof of residency and an identification document. I didn't want to bother so I went elsewhere and found just as good a deal if not better.

Yeah, and their support isn't very friendly on the matter either. Its really annoying, and Virmach has been going downhill for a while.

It was great when I first signed up a year ago but ended up cancelling the servers I didn't need, which included Virmach. Signed up again and its becoming like a somewhat sustainable GreenValueHost that will deadpool in a matter of years rather than months. Their servers aren't as great, connectivity is spotty on some nodes, and the abuse policies have gotten really overbearing where you can't even use it for anything beyond a nginx web server.

You provide real details when travelling and you get burned. Provide fake details and you're all set, so if you're travelling and they're going to be difficult about it, you just sorta either move on or lie about your residency. Its pretty ironic how their fraud detection works.

But then again, its hard to say that they're horrible for the price point, but if you have the money or the willingness to spend a bit more, go with another host and skip some of the BS you'll encounter with Virmach.

And I just have to say that Virmach's late fees are some of the dumbest attempts to monetize their client base ever. Late fees on a $6 VPS?

Thanked by 2colingpt pluush
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Kobe said: becoming like a somewhat sustainable GreenValueHost

Yeah about that.........

Francisco

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Yes they were also pretty rude to me as well, not friendly at all and didn't care about what I had to say.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Wow I've had the opposite experience. I have a dedicated server with them and also had a Windows VPS that I never saw an issue with.

Even their support when I messed up the dedi order was pretty friendly and got me online pretty fast.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • Tried them for a month, support was actually decent. No canned responses, usually my requests were actually done within the day.

• KobeKobe Member

@Virmach reached out to me after I posted that and highlighted some aspects of their support and how they've been trying to improve. I think their initiative is very well-spoken. Virmach is a really decent host for the price point.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • nepsneps Member

Been using them for almost a year now I think. They are one of the most decent hosts for that price point you will ever find.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • I was lucky to grab one of those cheap promo 512MB@$5/y VPS. I'm using it as master-dns and backup-mx. Pretty fast and responsive, ioping 50-100μs. The best of all those promo-vps I got till now! Support competent and helpful (asked them to increase entropy in my vps). Just two small "problems" I can live with:

I can not use "dd" to measure i/o transfer rate. whenever I try, it gets killed immediatelly. I suppose Virmach is doing this as protection. And "free" is reporting memory somehow strangely, with only "total" being correct (but this is known openvz-problem).

Overall I'm very satisfied. Usually I get only one vps from every company, but if Virmach offers something special in EU, I'll go for it again...

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • Jarry said: I can not use "dd" to measure i/o transfer rate. whenever I try, it gets killed immediatelly. I suppose Virmach is doing this as protection. And "free" is reporting memory somehow strangely, with only "total" being correct (but this is known openvz-problem).

I'm not facing the issues that you mention ?

[root@vir ~]# free
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:         524288      159452      219652        2952      145184      227570
    Swap:             0           0           0

[root@vir ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test_$$ bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test_$$
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.17365 s, 915 MB/s

• @Jarry said:

Cheers for the review, I was considering them (missed the EU offers, but they have some US options available) and interested in reviews.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • @FredQc said:

root@virmsix:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    Killed
    root@virmsix:~# free -h
    Mem:           512M         30M        439M         29M         41M        389M
    Swap:            0B          0B          0B

"available" less than "free"?
    "used" less than "buff/cache"?

• @Jarry said:

@FredQc said:

root@virmsix:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    Killed
    root@virmsix:~# free -h
    Mem:           512M         30M        439M         29M         41M        389M

"available" less than "free"?
    "used" less than "buff/cache"?

512MB plan:

[root@vir ~]# free -h
    Mem:           512M        153M        175M        2.9M        183M        202M

1GB plan:

[root@vrn ~]# free -h
    Mem:           1.0G        212M        600M        3.4M        211M        681M

[root@vrn ~]#  dd if=/dev/zero of=test_$$ bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test_$$
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.18743 s, 904 MB/s

• Even your numbers are not correct, i.e. for 512MB plan: buff/cache 183M, used only 153M? But as I said, OpenVZ does not count memory correctly...

• i use almost one year. never complaint or received complaint.

• nobody mentions these guys access client's VM without asking for permit just because they suspect that client were doing traffic exchange. Although they get proof but presumption of guilt and disregard client privacy are not acceptable, they have better way to solve this, like suspend service ask client to provide evidence and reiterate their TOS.

I believe this is much more serious professional attitude problem than the service you mentioned here.

If you guys want some at the same cost performance ratio products, there are plant available in LET, hostus, tragicserver and so on.

(by mentioning TOS, their strict terms give you calm neighbors as you are, but the only few thing you can do and I can imaging is VPN, low traffic site and maybe a personal dns server?)

• @colingpt: you do not think that "P" in "VPS" stands really for "private" do you? Wake up, man! Of course they can access VPS, without client even noticing it. And I do not think they should first ask for pemission. You'd better face the fact there is no privacy in VPS. You can hide your identity if you are smart enough, but you can not hide your data when you are using their hardware.

You prefer suspending service in case they suspect something wrong is going on, but I prefer keeping my VPS running...