Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happen to an oversold OpenVZ host that runs out of ram/disk space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happen to an oversold OpenVZ host that runs out of ram/disk space?

I am wondering what happen to an oversold OpenVZ host that runs out of ram/disk space?

1)Lets say that OpenVZ is oversold on ram, and (in some freak event) more than the physical ram is requested by the vps's (but all are within their guaranteed limits) Clearly there is not enough real ram to supply each vps. What happens then? Is some type of disk swap used?

2) Similarly, what happens when each vps request too much disk space (within their plan) but more than is physically on the hard drive?

I am not knocking overselling ( I know it has its purpose), I am just wondering what happens in such scenarios?

Thanked by 1imchandave

Comments

• people come to this forum, open a "HOST" SCAM, NO REPLY, NO EMAILS ANSWERED, NO REFUND GIVEN threads and then after 3-20 pages, everyone goes to bed.

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

1) Swapping occurs and then processes are killed and in extreme cases the node might crash.

2) The VPSs and the node get an "out of disk space" error and in extreme cases the node might crash.

Thanked by 2GM2015 teknolaiz
  • No RAM & SWAP left? The OOM Killer comes out from under the bed!

For no disk space on the container it just shows stuff like "no space on drive" when you try to create a file, even though df -h shows free space. If the node is rebooted ("SolusVM is down, quick - reboot it!") then any containers might fail to start.

• @AdamM said:
    I am wondering what happen to an oversold OpenVZ host that runs out of ram/disk space?

Deadpool.

• @KuJoe said:
    1) Swapping occurs and then processes are killed and in extreme cases the node might crash.

2) The VPSs and the node get an "out of disk space" error and in extreme cases the node might crash.

In short: the shit goes down heavy.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • rip