Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with strong CPU cores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with strong CPU cores

wroxwrox Member
edited January 2013 in General

I am looking for a lowend VPS with a fairly great CPU (in terms of MHz, as long as it's not an Atom) for gameservers not in USA nor Asia (or south Europe).

Does anyone have a clue if such a thing exists in the lowend market, especially in north/mid-Europe? If so, would any kind soul mind naming some providers with a great CPU?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

With almost any VPS the cores no matter how great are not dedicated to your VPS only so game servers that dominate core(s) all the time are usually not very welcome.

That said if you find a host that will give you 100% guaranteed cores at up to100% use 24x7 then you might want to look for someone offering VPS's on the new i7's those things are beasts.

Failing that up your budget and get yourself a kimsufi and hit an i5 24x7 without needing to worry about the fact that you share the resources with others :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well, we are in a canadian datacenter, and use very fast CPUs. (up to 3.8ghz)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Ramnode.

• Edis: Linux V-servers line give you access to 16 to 24 cores and they have multiple locations in mid/north Europe.

• I read somewhere uncle @prometeus sometimes gives custom plan where cpu core is dedicated. But for a price premium of course.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@RobertJFClarke

"not in USA"

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Fliphost Buy a VPN, tunnel through to Ramnode = profit

• Get a dedi from Hetzner.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@RobertJFClarke pretty sure the latency wouldn't work well for a game server...

• fanfan Veteran

edis's vserver should be a good choice.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

VPN gameserver idea would be fun :)

• They aren't good?

• @Ishaq I've never found a problem with BurstNET's VPS offerings. Their Windows ones in Manchester are great

• @jkr1711 said: @Ishaq I've never found a problem with BurstNET's VPS offerings. Their Windows ones in Manchester are great

The windows are good, yes. Linux are oversold.

• jhjh Member

We're using E3-1240V2s on our new deployments.

• @AnthonySmith
    I usually go for Xen or KVM offers, but if there's OVZ packages with dedicated cores I wont doubt on trying them instead. I don't really need a custom kernel with my current KVM vpses I have with EDIS, but I can't downgrade since their OVZ only have shared cores.

To be honest, the gameservers (srcds) I'm looking to host aren't really that CPU-intensive; it's only that I want to host more than 1 per core which eventually takes up the whole core during peak hours in terms of load.

@shovenose @RobertJFClarke
    Thank you for the suggestions, but those aren't in Europe (or north/mid-Europe)! :-)

@jcaleb
    I've tried uncle's services, and I found them to be great. It's in south Europe though so I called for a refund. I wasn't really paying attention to the location. heh

@DomainBop @fan
    Yeah, I already got two 1GB-KVM's (although, only with 2 cores each) from EDIS. They're great! Not sure about their non-gigabit locations though as I prefer gigabit connectivity.

@rds100
    I have looked at their servers, and I feel I rather want small VPSes instead. Basically, I want small VM's scattered throughout north Europe with a good connection, not making it a expensive story.

@jhadley
    I'll keep you in mind. I asked you through your support about custom orders, and you do them fine which is a huge plus for me. I'll be looking for a while before deciding if I should try one from here or from another place.

Thank you for the tips and suggestions everyone!