Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request to purchase 2 byte ASNs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request to purchase 2 byte ASNs

Hello,

We are looking for a 2 byte ASN. Please let me know what you have available. If it comes with ipv4, even better.

Comments

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited December 2015

What's your budget?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2015

why buy existing one? RIPE still assigns 2 byte if you have justification.

list price 100EUR, i cut you a better deal by PM/mail.

• BBGNBrianBBGNBrian Member
    edited December 2015

I prefer an ARIN AS and the lower the better. I know someone here has to have old ASN and a small block they want to sell.

• @BBGNBrian said:
    I prefer an ARIN AS and the lower the better. I know someone here has to have old ASN and a small block they want to sell.

Optimistic is the word I could think of.

• Why do you need a 2-byte ASN anyways? The extra data for 4-byte ASN will correctly traverse routers that only support 2-byte ASN (this is done compatibly by saving the 4-byte ASN in attributes).

• singsing said: Why do you need a 2-byte ASN anyways? The extra data for 4-byte ASN will correctly traverse routers that only support 2-byte ASN (this is done compatibly by saving the 4-byte ASN in attributes).

For instance if you are setting up an internet exchange it is an industry standard to create BGP communities for traffic control in the form of ASN:xxxxx
    If you have a 32bit ASN this doesn't work (standard communities are 16bit:16bit)

Other reason could be vanity. For some people a smaller AS number (as an absolute number) means an older / established company.

Thanked by 2singsing Francisco
  • It's not the size that matters it's how you use it.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Vanity, yes... and it is nice to not have to 'interoperate' with 'old bgp' or worry about the AS working on some older networking equipment.

I'm sure someone has one or two.

• @Alt said:
    It's not the size that matters it's how you use it.

Haha, make me laugh

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

You might ask ARIN directly - that's probably going to be the best source. Even if they don't have one immediately available, they can probably put you on a wait list.

• @qps said:
    You might ask ARIN directly - that's probably going to be the best source. Even if they don't have one immediately available, they can probably put you on a wait list.

I thought about that. I was reading yesterday how they assigned their last "new" 2 byte in 2012 and they are only issuing 4 byte. I bet they may have a wait list on older AS?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

BBGNBrian said: I thought about that. I was reading yesterday how they assigned their last "new" 2 byte in 2012 and they are only issuing 4 byte. I bet they may have a wait list on older AS?

In the daily ARIN Issued e-mails, I see older ASNs issued all the time:
    http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-issued/

I bet there is some mechanism there for getting an older ASN, even if it involves waiting. Can't hurt to open a ticket and ask.

• @qps said:
    I bet there is some mechanism there for getting an older ASN, even if it involves waiting. Can't hurt to open a ticket and ask.

I appreciate that info. Thank you.

• @qps said:

Didn't know this mailing list existed. Thanks!

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:

For instance if you are setting up an internet exchange it is an industry standard to create BGP communities for traffic control in the form of ASN:xxxxx
    If you have a 32bit ASN this doesn't work (standard communities are 16bit:16bit)

What about using BGP Extended Communities Attribute, aren't they common nowadays?