Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about reinstalling OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking about reinstalling OS

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited January 2013 in Help

So, I'm thinking about "reinstalling" (using ubuntu wubi to have a ubuntu area to develop stuff) what are the major advantages in Ubuntu? I haven't used it lots at all because I've always used CentOS.

What do you guys say? Right now I run Windows 7

Comments

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited January 2013

I never cared for Ubuntu on wubi.. always crashed or had some weird arse issue. Never installed it full either..

advantages; well known typically, disadvantage: slower support (community based), decent amount of software

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Last time I tried it with that install method, my disk io was so pathetic that it felt like a VMware instance on a single core machine with a IDE drive. Normal installation fixed it.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013
    • free
    • free
    • pretty (if you choose Xubuntu)
    • customizable
    • fast
    • more software
    • help yourself seem pretentious

PS: Wubi is horrible (to me)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Wubi has been excellent .. it installed fine for me.

I am literally using it right now on the desktop next to me.

However, I do not love their new "tablet" looking feature - whatever they call it (launcher?) - so I installed version 10.10 and use that.

• @rsk said: However, I do not love their new "tablet" looking feature - whatever they call it (launcher?) - so I installed version 10.10 and use that.

...really? Ubuntu 10.10 is not supported any more. You could have installed another variant with different desktop environment (Xubuntu) if you don't like Unity.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: ...really? Ubuntu 10.10 is not supported any more. You could have installed another variant with different desktop environment (Xubuntu) if you don't like Unity.

Who cares about support :P

It's just for my own private use hhhh .. @gubbyte Like they say .. if it works, don't touch it.

• @rsk said: Who cares about support :P

It's just for my own private use hhhh .. @gubbyte Like they say .. if it works, don't touch it.

Okay, enjoy no package updates, lol.
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

• @curtisg said: what are the major advantages in Ubuntu? I haven't used it lots at all because I've always used CentOS.

You'll have plenty of up to date packages. Try not Wubi, can you not run it in virtualbox?