Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managing VPS vs Dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managing VPS vs Dedicated

LET,

I am fairly used to managing vps's through the usual suspects (linode, DO, etc).

As I look into the future, we may need a dedicated at some point. From a user perspective is it pretty much the same to manage a dedicated vs a vps?

For example,through most dedicated providers, can you click a button to re-install OS, or do you need to submit a ticket and wait? Any major differences that one can think of?

Thanks

Comments

• Most providers I have been with have an automated system to reinstall the OS the primary I use Delimiter has HP lights out on the servers so you can mount an ISO and install the whole thing your self.

Managing is almost the same, set it up, ssh into and and its just another Linux box. Or RDP if windows is your thing.

You need to worry about hardware failed more than a VPS specially hard drive failure. Unless you get a dedicated with several hard drives and do raid 5 or better backups are important. Not to say they aren't important everywhere.

That's just my experience with owning or renting dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Except KVM, OpenVZ, XEN specific configurations, it's mostly the same.