Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Modoboa - mail hosting and management platform
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Modoboa - mail hosting and management platform

twaintwain Member
edited January 2013 in General

Stumbled upon this today and thought I'd share for those interested.

Since gmail's pricing changes, there have been a few threads which touch on "roll your own" alternatives. While the setup looks a bit complex for this, it actually looks quite good with a very pleasing UI for admin and end user alike.

http://modoboa.org/en/features/

--CUT--

Modoboa is a mail hosting and management platform including a modern and simplified Web User Interface. It provides useful components such as an administration panel or a webmail.

Modoboa integrates with well known software such as Postfix or Dovecot . A SQL database (MySQL , PostgreSQL ) is used as a central point of communication between all components.

Modoboa is developed with modularity in mind, expanding it is really easy. Actually, all current features are extensions.

It is written in Python and uses the Django , jQuery and Bootstap, from Twitter frameworks.

--CUT--

Comments

• Actually pretty neat, thanks.

• I was looking for something like this. Thanks!

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Thanks, have been looking for something like this to run on one of my spare servers.

• Now I know what to do with my spare servers. Thanks!

• Can somebody create an openvz template with a script for setting usernames and such? Would love to offer this as a template.

• Going to have a try.

• @24khost said: Can somebody create an openvz template with a script for setting usernames and such?

How does it store users? Are they standard *nix users, or something else?

• @Damian said: How does it store users? Are they standard *nix users, or something else?

It's a Django app, and supports MySQL/PostgreSQL.

• twaintwain Member
    edited January 2013

They have a pre-configured vmdk image. You could use that with Proxmox KVM (supports using vmdk images), or convert to qcow etc.. nice.

@jarland - might be helpful in making an ovz template for this? Not sure..

http://docs.modoboa.org/virtualmachine.html

• This looks awesome. Going to try this out soon, thanks!

Anybody knows how it is on RAM/resource usage? Would it fit on a LEB? (<512mb rams)?

• This one is very interesting.

• twaintwain Member
    edited January 2013

@Raymii

No load, using about 93M of memory. I'm using the Debian Squeeze vmdk demo image:

root@modoboa:~# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1010 266 743 0 64 109
    -/+ buffers/cache: 93 917
    Swap: 512 0 512

root@modoboa:~# netstat -antup
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10024 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1320/amavisd-new (m
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10025 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1475/master
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1301/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:587 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1475/master
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:9998 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1320/amavisd-new (m
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1382/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 910/portmap
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1382/dovecot
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1171/nginx
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3283/sshd
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1475/master
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:37884 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 922/rpc.statd
    tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 3283/sshd
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:39276 0.0.0.0:* 922/rpc.statd
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* 910/portmap
    udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:674 0.0.0.0:* 922/rpc.statd

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2013

Nice. Will have to throw this on Proxmox and give it a whirl behind ASSP for filtering.

I like that it supports PostgreSQL so it can help with the migration away from MySQL.

• @geekalot - I might put mailcleaner in front of it myself... I'm not a big fan of ASSP

• @twain, I am curious why you don't like ASSP ... it is absolutely the best spamfilter I have ever used + runs perfect as a VM.

• @geekalot - well, for our setup we had to put it on the same box as the exchange server, and it ran like crap and had to be restarted about every day.. so I probably should have said "I'm not a big fan of the less than optimal way we implemented ASSP on a Windows Exchange edge server".. anyway we are not using it any more... as we migrated to XWall (which is awesome, though not free).

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2013

@twain, ah OK ... I've had instances of ASSP run for over a year without reboot (Linux, of course ;-P). I had to reboot them all recently only because I migrated "in-house" VM's from VMware to Proxmox and made major changes to external/public instances. Also, no problems running on LEB's.

Servicing > 200 domains.

So for me, free has been good ;-)

Cheers

• This looks nice but I'm not quite sure how it works exactly. I assume you can 'add your own domains' or something like that?

• @Freek, correct - all dat :) .. and you can check out their demo:
    http://modoboa.state-of-mind.de/

• @twain said: @Freek, correct - all dat :) .. and you can check out their demo:

Thanks looks nice... And after you added the domain to the control panel, what changes need to be made to your DNS? I still don't get it but it looks very interesting!

• @Freek said: And after you added the domain to the control panel, what changes need to be made to your DNS?

make your MX record for yourdomain.com be whatever.yourdomain.com and make sure there is an A record for whatever.yourdomain.com pointing to the IP address that modoboa lives on.

• Thanks! I see someone mentioning 'mailcleaner'. I assume this is to filter/block SPAM? It is recommended to do so? I have a spare BuyVM box this could run on.

• @Freek - likely not needed unless you have tons domains and spam; and you can just use Spamassassin/Clamav/amavis etc on the modoboa/postfix box anyway..

• Nice! I will see if I can find the time to play around with it this weekend. Install looks very lenghty though.. Thanks for the tip.