Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your backup strategy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your backup strategy?

I currently have setup daily backups but its not really the best backup strategy. I'm looking for something more efficient and reduce the 24 hours of potential data that can be lost in case backup has to be restored. What do you guys use?

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2015

RAID, fingers crossed.

When shit hits the fan, cry on LET and put all blame on my provider.

Thanked by 4GM2015 sin howardsl2 ATHK
  • Do it more frequently.

Also people seem to use incremental backups. I don't.

srvrpro said: 24 hours of potential data that can be lost in case backup has to be restored

• KS2 with 2TB HDD and a cluster of raspberry Pis with I think a total of 4 1TB HDDs. Might be 3 1T and 1 750G

• edited December 2015

No strategy. I like to live on the edge.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • BackupPC at 2 locations

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited December 2015

No backups, as I've only got a cluster with idle servers - with the same on each one of them - nothing as of a ssh config and the files created by the OS.

• run crying around the block.

or cry running, its ok too.

• i have 4TB nas at home, 3TB backup in a VPS, 1TB dropbox, 1TB google drive

so i mostly use VPS, and drive.

some most important at NAS, DRIVE and DROP.

• stabstab Member
    edited December 2015

Rsync and Attic depending on what I'm backing up.

• Kimsufi boxes.

• RAID and Pray to God that it never screws me over.

• RAID is not backup.

For files I occasionally rsync to other servers. For database I use MySQL replication.

• Personally; a RAID NAS box at home with incremental live sync offsite to multiple boxes around the world. Version control is done at a file level.

• It's backwards to talk about backups. What scenarios are you trying to address? You should be talking about restore strategies. What are you planning to restore with a sub-daily turnaround?

That's why Apple's Time Machine is so handy. Behind the scenes it's just doing an incremental rsync. The restore interface, though, is what makes it useful to have access to hourly backups.

Myself, lacking a more useful front end, I just keep daily local backups of important directories/files. An example:

56 23 * * *     rsync -qavHS --backup --backup-dir=`date "+\%F"` /etc /root /home /var/backups/

And they get replicated remotely on a weekly (or sometimes monthly) basis. Increase the frequency if you really have something more important, but don't kid yourself into thinking that just having a recent duplicate of the data means that your job is done.

• Rsync

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Rrsync is great if you don't want to make chroot accounts. Works fine on debian. It restricts local access to the rsync server for rsync only.

The rsync server's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys looks like this:

command="/bin/rrsync /home/username/",no-agent-forwarding,no-port-forwarding,no-pty,no-user-rc,no-X11-forwarding    ssh-rsa AAAAB3...

Example:

root@server:~# ssh namefromsshconfigfile
    PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    /bin/rrsync: Not invoked via sshd
    Use 'command="/bin/rrsync [-ro] SUBDIR"'
        in front of lines in /home/username/.ssh/authorized_keys
    Connection to IP-address closed.

Rsync with rrsync:

opening connection using: ssh namefromsshconfigfile rsync --server -vvlograndomchars . /rsync/remotehost/backup/directory/ 
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    sending incremental file list
    delta-transmission enabled
    20151210file1.tar.gz.gpg
    20151210file2.tar.gz.gpg
    20151210file3.tar.gz.gpg
    20151210file4.tar.gz.gpg
    total: matches=0  hash_hits=123  false_alarms=0 data=123456

sent 206889 bytes  received 3766 bytes  28087.33 bytes/sec
    total size is 206580  speedup is 0.98

• I just set up 3 backup box using rsnapshot, it use hard link to do increamental backup, so if I want to restore, just copy hourly.0/files

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • RAID is good. But it's not the backup ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

My backup plan is lacking at the moment but I plan on improving it over the next few months now that I have more hard drives available. :)

Desktop -> NAS1 (synchronized in realtime)

NAS1 -> Desktop (synchronized in realtime)
    NAS1 -> VPS1 (synchronized in realtime)
    NAS1 -> VPS2 (rsynced daily)
    NAS1 -> USB Drive (rsynced daily)
    NAS1 -> NAS2 (replicated weekly)

VPS1 -> NAS1 (synchronized in realtime)
    VPS1 -> CrashPlan (backed up in realtime)

VPS2 -> Dedicated Server (rsynced weekly)

• What's used for real time sync?

Closest I can come is using 3rd party stuff(dropbox, owncloud and such) or rsync every minute.

KuJoe said: My backup plan is lacking at the moment but I plan on improving it over the next few months now that I have more hard drives available. :)

• On my Mac is Arq and ObjSpace, for servers Duply/Duplicity and ObjSpace.

Playing with Hashbackup and ObjSpace at the moment.

• Why is RAID not a backup?

Quote: "...If you accidentally overwrite your PhD thesis with garbage, redundancy ensures that you have multiple copies of garbage, in case one gets bad. A backup ensures that you can restore your PhD thesis..."

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I use carbon copy cloner for backing up my mac via a full incremental disk image.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@GM2015 said:
    What's used for real time sync?

Closest I can come is using 3rd party stuff(dropbox, owncloud and such) or rsync every minute.

Synology Cloud Station

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Everything goes to my Synology DS215j (2x 3TB RAID0) twice a day. Synology NAS syncs with Google Drive.

I also rsync some stuff to my homeserver (2x 120gb ssd RAID1, 2x 3tb hdd RAID0)

Plan on getting a Qnap TS-431 in the future to have some more space.
    I like how convenient Qnap and Synology are. I could stuff 8 more HDDs into my homeserver but I like it more to have a NAS that handles everything for me.

Thanked by 2vimalware paily
  • R1soft and pray to god it works when you need it :p

• edited December 2015

Home boxes and stuff hosted on externally push data to a couple of cheap dedi/vps accounts daily via rsync. Larger dedi/vps accounts pickup copies of those backups daily and maintain 8 of each daily, weekly and monthly snapshots. Nothing massive in that arrangement: things like TV/film/music files can for the most part be retranscoded/redownloaded from elsewhere easily, I only bother backing up difficult to replace stuff (work files, source repos, my own photos & videos, machine/app configuration, anything that lives in places like /home, and so forth). A few special case items like full copies of VMs are made manually after major updates. That backup machines have their configuration and other stuff backed up the other way around, and everything has local snapshots as well as the ones in the backups.

Pushing to a VPS that the backup hosts then pull from means that the source and backup servers don't need to be able to authenticate with each other, only the middle-man services. This means that if my main machines are hacked it isn't so easy for the bot/hacker/kiddie to break the backups as well (similarly breaking into the backups or intermediates doesn't give you access to the source machines). I just need to keep the keys safely locked (otherwise that effort decoupling the sources and backup copies is wasted).

For really vital things (finances, keystore, crown-and-jewels source code, contact details) I have copies on USB sticks as truly offline backups, at least one here, one secreted in a drawer at work, one that a friend looks after. These get cycled every week-ish. Said friend's machines backup to my machines too.

I have at least four copies of just about everything, not counting all the snapshots. Possibly over the top, but it makes my data feel safe-ish. It would take quite a disaster (or a catastrophic cock-up on my part) to completely lose something I care about.

Oh, and some stuff on OneDrive, mainly because my phone does that automatically, partly for sharing certain documents between the main desktop, table, and sometimes phone.

And just about everything lives on either RAID1, 10, or 5, depending on the expected access patterns and the kit it is on, rather than individual drives.

• My backup strategy:

• (1) Did I erase code today? If not, no need to back up, since added code will almost always need to be rewritten anyways.
    • (2) Did it break the program to erase the code I erased? If so, no need to back up. In fact, it may be necessary to RESTORE soon.
    • (3) Back up!!!
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited December 2015

Pfft.. who needs backup for running IO benchmarks all day?

But seriously I just have a script to zip the entire / var/www/ folder and mysql dumps, then upload it to Dropbox.