Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel RST/SRT: Desktop; How does it work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel RST/SRT: Desktop; How does it work?

I plan to setup my new Computer with a SSD cached HDD Raid 1. Like I understand RST/SRT I have to install the OS on the HDD then. Is it possible to install it on another SSD also? I've currently got:
•SSD 128GB
•2x HDD 1TB
•SSD 120GB

I wanna keep my Windows Installation on a SSD. How do I realize that?

If that's not working, I do also have a Raid Controller. Is it possible with this?

I figured to have Windows installed on a SSD and another SSD-Cached Raid 1 storage drive.

Comments

• Possible if your machine supports it but I think the maximum caching size is 64GB.

The SSD used for caching has to be blank (no partitions at all) if all the right conditions are met you should get an accelerate option in the RST software.

The drive that's being cached does not have to be the drive the OS is installed on, I added a 512GB SSD to a dell that has RST (32GB Msata + 2TB HDD) and was able to still use the 32GB msata as a cache for the 2TB drive even though the OS is installed on the other SSD.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Isn't putting your cache on a ssd drive killing it too quicky?

• @GM2015 said:

It's a cheap one, I hope worth the speed up.

@dragon2611 said:
    Possible if your machine supports it but I think the maximum caching size is 64GB.

Ya, my PC supports it.

The SSD used for caching has to be blank (no partitions at all) if all the right conditions are met you should get an accelerate option in the RST software.

I do get it, but only with the OS installed on the HDD.

The drive that's being cached does not have to be the drive the OS is installed on, I added a 512GB SSD to a dell that has RST (32GB Msata + 2TB HDD) and was able to still use the 32GB msata as a cache for the 2TB drive even though the OS is installed on the other SSD.

I'll check it out. That was what I was looking for. :)

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited December 2015

@GM2015 said:

Seriously who cares when 128GB and smaller SSD's are getting cheap?

Yes it will burn it out eventually but we're probably talking years unless it's a DB server or something that's constantly writing to the disk.

Also this is what my RST software shows

http://imgur.com/ZN1F2zz