Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best functional Linux to install or image to a 256MB embedded disk on thin client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best functional Linux to install or image to a 256MB embedded disk on thin client?

twaintwain Member
edited December 2012 in General

Anyone have any ideas? Slitaz, Puppy maybe? The thin client is a Neoware CA21 w/512MB of RAM.. I won't be using it as a thin client obviously though.. just to put something very small and fast onto.. I'd like it to boot from the embedded 256M storage, and then I can use a USB stick (8G) for extra storage.

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

I'd say puppy or worst case just debian with xfce (Although I haven't really used Thin Clients with this so I can't say for sure)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

puppy is really cool. I wouldnt put it directly on net, tho, the security is non-existant.
    I tried a similar setup with iscsi and was much cooler.

• SliTaz ftw!

Very small Distro with a ultra light DE.

• Ubuntu has a terminal services product if you want to do a true thin client and not some desktop hack from a thin client

• Bamn, yes that'd be better of course, however i will use synergy so don't think that will work over terminal service between my other machine

• Probably will just do puppy for this, as i want it to serve as a pxe server as well, and apparently you can use this method w/puppy, and it won't conflict with the dhcp on the router...
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64107

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

you could try tinycore.. works pretty good on a thin client.

tinycorelinux-screenshots

If you do decide to give it a try, Download the CorePlus version, gives you more options on install.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2013

Debian all the way. I use it on thin clients booting from the embedded storage, external USB sticks, or laptop hard drives installed into the thin client (don't laugh, it works very well).

One challenge though is that Debian is getting bigger and Lenny (with the packages I wanted) was a tight (but workable) fit onto 512MB of storage. Squeeze would be even more so.

Also, I usually used it as a server in this config (headless encrypted storage server for example).

BTW, I love Puppy Linux but I needed to run LUKS and some other packages that it seemed to lack.

• @geekalot - actually I only have 256M of embedded storage.. so I installed Slitaz.. it's great, still have about 100M free, and only uses about 40M memory.. WAY faster than Puppy on it, and there is a synergy package too, so I can share mouse/keyboard from my other machine..!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@twain said: so I installed Slitaz

OK, next one i try when in need of something :)