Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedi Server Management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedi Server Management

How difficult is it to manage a dedicated server if one knows how to manage a VPS?
I have been managing a VPS from last one year myself. Is it same like managing a VPS?

Comments

• Almost same.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

the only difference is in parts, that are usually transparent on VPS such as monitoring disks S.M.A.R.T. status, dealing with drivers if you have some specific hardware attached etc.

• Software management is usually the same but when it comes to hardware management there might be some differences.

• Depends on what kind of VPS you have been managing. Installation is akin to KVM or Xen, installed from virtual media - as opposed to one-click install from a template. You have some decisions to make depending on the server hardware configuration, something you don't deal with setting up and running a VPS. Best to run apps in a virtualized environment instead of directly on the dedi host OS.

• The most important problem is:

You can not reinstall OS 10 times a day with dedi

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@lewissue said:
    The most important problem is:

Depends. I don't have a problem when the Customer does it via IPMI or KVM :).

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • It depends how much networking setup and installation you need to do. Online takes care of automated installers and networking for you, most of the time.

lewissue said: The most important problem is:

Thank you for the insight. It's now worth living knowing this.

• Hi,

There's really not that much of a difference, if you've managed a VPS, then you should have no problem managing a Dedicated Server. Basically in a Dedicated more options are available because there are more resources.

• @lewissue said:
    The most important problem is:

You can. IPMi/KVM. We also have a PXE deployment system which allows unlimited reinstalls

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    You can. IPMi/KVM. We also have a PXE deployment system which allows unlimited reinstalls

As a "provider" he should already know that ;)

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:

yes I know, but using IPMI is very slow. mounting that CD remotely is very difficult so each install takes me 2 hours+

@ATHK said:
    As a "provider" he should already know that ;)

yes I know

• Answer is out depends. You'll have to manage your hardware setup with your software setup such as raid control.

• @lewissue said:

That's why we provide an on site ISO storage so users can get 1Gbit speed with minimal latency. The reason IPMI and PXE is provided is because PXE offers a fast reinstall solution with limited customisation of OS. If users want to have a custom install they can use IPMI accordingly

• Disk/RAID setup and networking might be the hardest. Make sure you know how to change a drive in software RAID before it fails!

• @lewissue said:
    yes I know

Why did you even say it then? You're a strange person..