Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is my website/host so slow?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is my website/host so slow?

Average 6,6 seconds loading time for my websites www.gdteam.net and www.cupcakethunder.eu
Is this the host, the site, the settings?
anything i can do about this or ask the host?

I'ts just a bit annoying that to fetch every file it needs to load.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2015
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

That's a question you should be asking your provider ;)
    What are you building the website with? Are you optimizing it?

• Where are you visiting from vs where the site is hosted?

• CentOS web panel uses default Apache config with prefork MPM, even on a 2GB VPS you might run into memory issues if you have lots of hits

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Woah he's developing in on E107 from the looks of it. I haven't used that system in almost 10 years! Great system not sure on the performance of it though.

• I fail to appreciate these tools as even Google pages don't get a complete 100% mark. Try google.com/business as input.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sanmax88 said:
    I fail to appreciate these tools as even Google pages don't get a complete 100% mark. Try google.com/business as input.

Should be taken as suggestions for improvement and not an absolute requirement to achieve a perfect score. Perfection, for a web application, is relative to your purpose and audience.

• @jarland said:
    Should be taken as suggestions for improvement and not an absolute requirement to achieve a perfect score. Perfection, for a web application, is relative to your purpose and audience.

Yeah I get that, but it's pretty outdated IMO. For instance, above-the-fold is no longer a necessary variable for web design, as many of the modern ones use full cover images, and parallax. The render-blocking tips are also an issue, if you're using JS to fuel your apps, it will always return a low mark.

The frustrating thing about this is that users (some, I'm not saying OP), will take these advice religiously and if they fail to optimize their sites on their end, the hosts get the blame (most of the time). Oh I just ranted, sorry.

OP, your site loads fine on my end even though I assume it's hosted in EU which is far far from where I am.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

sanmax88 said: if they fail to optimize their sites on their end, the hosts get the blame

I feel you on that ;)

Thanked by 1sanmax88
  • @GM2015 said:

No idea how the pingdom works, seems all website with cf DNS are load "faster" than other, did the run test with cloudflare on top

• http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/

rokok said: No idea how the pingdom works, seems all website with cf DNS are load "faster" than other, did the run test with cloudflare on top

• almost every request which is send to your page returns with much waiting time...
    even on files which should not need php rendering like .css .js and .png files. this maybe a slow connect to the webserver, bad dns request times or something else.

is this shared hosting? looks like there is something done via cloudflare, which may add to the waiting time...
    and while your theme/template seems to get the ressources after page load via js/ajax, this takes a whole lot of time for a small page.

get a small VPS with 1GB RAM for something like $1 per month and set up your own lamp-stack (something like vestacp comes to mind). every default setting should work fine and give a better result than what you have now ;-)
    (and probably get rid of this e107 crap)

• im more concerned about cupcakethunder.eu then gdteam.net though ^^

• Falzo, this is my own shared server (KFM) with lamp stack installed.

• i have just conducted some different website speed tests and pingdom gives 2 seconds, awesome. but why do other services like gtmetrix say it takes 7 seconds? they want me to pay for their services or something? I got this speed after actually disabling cloudflare...

• @borgqueenx said:
    i have just conducted some different website speed tests and pingdom gives 2 seconds, awesome. but why do other services like gtmetrix say it takes 7 seconds? they want me to pay for their services or something? I got this speed after actually disabling cloudflare...

They are probably using different techniques and networks.

• @rokok said:
    No idea how the pingdom works, seems all website with cf DNS are load "faster" than other, did the run test with cloudflare on top

Well Cloudflare's DNS is pretty damn fast :)

• I am 11ms away from your host and www.cupcakethunder.eu takes around 3 seconds.

it seems that you are using some ressources which are from other domains, so probably those may block your rendering if the connection to that other foreign servers are slow.

if this is your own vps you should be able to look how much memory is consumed, and how much load is on the whole system etc.

I would advise to not include that chat window on the first page, which does a request every 3 seconds, probably adding a lot of load to your server, as this is done for every visitor - no matter if he is interested in chatting or not.

also don't use apache prefork, if you do something like that chat thing! it requires to always force a process including the whole php rendering engine. just to look up that nothing happened. every 3 seconds. for every visitor on just on the page...

and don't use cloudflare if you dont need it. as mentioned the possible overhead may not be worth it. at least make sure your config within apache/nginx is solid to use with cloudflare, if you want to use it.

gtmetrix is pretty solid, if one knows how to interpret the results.
    have a closer look at the waterfall, which is what matters most. and maybe work with developer view of chrome or firefox to see the timeline on your own client...

• i want to use the chat and have it refresh often. it should not make loading speed slower, it should tax my CPU etc. However since this is a guild website not meant to be for more then 100 people at a time, a duel core 2ghz cpu should be able to handle that? (average about 7 people online nowadays)

Looking at pingdom most of the time its "waiting".

• yes, waiting. so you should ask yourself: waiting for what?
    being able to connect (limits)? spawning apache processes (memory)? waiting for mysql?

just to mention some. there are a lot of possible issues or lets say points where you may look after to optimize your whole setup/configuration.

if you really want and need that chat window right in your face, think about the other hints given (no prefork but worker+fcgid etc.)
    maybe look into nginx as reverse proxy for static content and/or php-fpm for special needs like that chat.php to take load off the apache.