Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help with setup a ftp server on linux vps with nginx!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

help with setup a ftp server on linux vps with nginx!

johancjohanc Member
edited December 2012 in General

Hello!

I have tried to install a ftp server on my linux vps. But it doesn´t work, i don´t why.
I want to have a ftp account when the user login using ftp it will be at the "home" of the site
that i want.

My VPS setup:
Debian 32bit minimal with minstall installed on it.
Nginx with virtual hosts

I have many sites hosted on the server but i want the ftp account will be forwarded -> to the "home" directory to ex: www.domain.com in the "hosts" map.

Thanks in advance!
/Johanc

Comments

• Why are you using FTP when your server has SFTP built in..

Grab filezilla, start transferring files securely and save some resources!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There is little that drives me more insane than setting up an FTP server on OpenVZ. I don't know why so many people can just set them up by the book, while I can fail repeatedly by doing the exact same thing, but I give up (before I dig myself a hole, I pay people to do what pisses me off). You might give zPanel a shot, heck maybe even Kloxo, if your luck is anything like mine.

• @jarland said: There is little that drives me more insane than setting up an FTP server on OpenVZ. I don't know why so many people can just set them up by the book, while I can fail repeatedly by doing the exact same thing, but I give up (before I dig myself a hole, I pay people to do what pisses me off). You might give zPanel a shot, heck maybe even Kloxo, if your luck is anything like mine.

What issues do you have? We have ProFTPD running on a number of VZ containers

• @jarland said: There is little that drives me more insane than setting up an FTP server on OpenVZ. I don't know why so many people can just set them up by the book, while I can fail repeatedly by doing the exact same thing, but I give up (before I dig myself a hole, I pay people to do what pisses me off). You might give zPanel a shot, heck maybe even Kloxo, if your luck is anything like mine.

Same here. They are a PITA. That's why i just use SFTP with filezilla now for uploading corporate sites etc.

edited December 2012

@ShardHost said: What issues do you have? We have ProFTPD running on a number of VZ containers

Authentication failure, time and time again. After it humbles me and I go read guide after guide to do it, same thing. I'm supposed to be better than that but...I really hate FTP ;)

Granted with cPanel around and people to do it for me...it's never been a "sink or swim" situation for me. It's the one piece of the shared hosting puzzle that has never interested me in the slightest. I just tried to set one up several times, by hand, for SolusVM's backup.

• @jarland said: It's the one piece of the shared hosting puzzle that has never interested me in the slightest. I just tried to set one up several times, by hand, for SolusVM's backup.

Once again, same here. I always end up using virtualmin for this as it comes with FTP built in :)

• kamalnasserkamalnasser Member
    edited December 2012

I've tried lots of ftp servers and vsftpd was the easiest one (i.e. the only one that I have managed to get working).
    I mainly used it for hosting friends' websites, use sftp if you mustn't use ftp.

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited December 2012

Use the built-in SFTP, safe & easy.

• @jarland said: Authentication failure, time and time again. After it humbles me and I go read guide after guide to do it, same thing. I'm supposed to be better than that but...I really hate FTP ;)

Granted with cPanel around and people to do it for me...it's never been a "sink or swim" situation for me. It's the one piece of the shared hosting puzzle that has never interested me in the slightest. I just tried to set one up several times, by hand, for SolusVM's backup.

SolusVM backup feature can be really picky about FTP servers, which is why we use ProFTPD

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Why are you using FTP when your server has SFTP built in..

Yeah I can't remember the last time I've installed a FTP server for usage like this

• SFTP is dumb
    just install vsftpd and be done with it

• @gubbyte said: SFTP is dumb

Yay for insecure protocols! You think HTTPS/SSH/SCP/DNSSEC are dumb too?

• @Wunderbar said: Yay for insecure protocols! You think HTTPS/SSH/SCP/DNSSEC are dumb too?

yes

• @GetKVM_Ash @wunderbar

I need to have ftp because i want to update my sites who using wordpress with core updates, themes and plugins automatic not manually.

edited December 2012

I'm so confused as to why multiple hosts have issues installing FTP on OpenVZ..?

Not as confused as I am as to why something so simple fails for me repeatedly. I'm not crazy, it's really simple, but I fail at it repeatedly. It's not that it doesn't install or that I don't know how to configure it, it's that it consistently ignores my configuration. Perhaps there's something magic in Ubuntu that hates FTP, but others do it just fine. I'm man enough to admit when I've given up on something that should be simple. FTP is next to useless anyway :P

@johanc SuPHP?

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited December 2012

@johanc said: I need to have ftp because i want to update my sites who using wordpress with core updates, themes and plugins automatic not manually.

i use nginx, php5-fpm, all update (core, themes, plugins) can automatically update without ftp

just make sure that php5-fpm using userid same with your wordpress folder's permission

• @gubbyte said: SFTP is dumb

That's the third BS comment i have seen you write today. If your going to talk the talk, provide some details to back up your nonsense.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2012

@Zen said: I'm so confused as to why multiple hosts have issues installing FTP on OpenVZ..?

I wouldn't say it was an issue, just that i only try once and then think:

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
    chmod +x install.sh
    ./install.sh

• @arieonline

Please can you give me some details how i can do it using the command?

It would be very helpful!

• @johanc said: Please can you give me some details how i can do it using the command?

cek PM

• There are times when the SFTP overhead doesn't make sense to have.

Imo, this entire argument is dumb and is full of people who have no idea where each one is applicable. SFTP isn't an universal solution, nor is FTP.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: @gubbyte said: SFTP is dumb

That's the third BS comment i have seen you write today. If your going to talk the talk, provide some details to back up your nonsense

Well said, well said. claps

• @Wintereise said: There are times when the SFTP overhead doesn't make sense to have.

openssh is already there so it won't cause that much of an overhead

• What does OpenSSH have anything to do with this discussion?

Sure, it can be installed. The encryption overhead doesn't apply unless you're actually funneling data through it.

I'll choose FTP over SFTP any day of the week for moving gigantic amounts of data over a network I deem secure, before the feminazis start again - granted neither are really good choices for that.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said: There is little that drives me more insane than setting up an FTP server on OpenVZ. I don't know why so many people can just set them up by the book, while I can fail repeatedly by doing the exact same thing, but I give up (before I dig myself a hole, I pay people to do what pisses me off). You might give zPanel a shot, heck maybe even Kloxo, if your luck is anything like mine.

This. So much this.

As for FTP itself, have a read as to why FTP must die.

• One of the following commands below should allow you to update your WordPress without needing FTP, the directory needs writable by PHP is the trick.

I use chown -R php:php /directory on CentOS with my particular setup.

Not sure which one for Debian with Nginx, maybe some else can be more specific.

chown -R www-data:www-data /directory
    chown -R nginx:nginx /directory
    chown -R php:php /directory

• @joepie91 said: As for FTP itself, have a read as to why FTP must die.

102% assburgers. That guy is just another butthurt Stallman that won't let people like what he doesn't like.

• @gubbyte said: 102% assburgers. That guy is just another butthurt Stallman that won't let people like what he doesn't like.

This, sadly. For once, we seem to agree. Curious though, where did the extra 2% come from?

@connercg said: I use chown -R php:php /directory on CentOS with my particular setup.

This is a bad idea. PHP should be the last thing having world-writeable permissions inside your web root.

As for FTP being 'hard to set up,' you need to open a few more ports to allow connections through other than 21. It's not rocket science, yo.

And as for that bullshit list, half of his points are already moot and have been for a few decades.

The client shall listen for...

There's a mode called passive, use it. Morons complaining about for no reason.

• @Wintereise said: Curious though, where did the extra 2% come from?

Nowhere in particular.