Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DD-WRT on Personal Routers : Any Good ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DD-WRT on Personal Routers : Any Good ?

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

Recently I heard the name of DD-WRT, A Open-Source Firmware for Routers.

I have a D-Link DIR-605L Router which I use at my home for personal usage. If I flash it with DD-WRT, will that be good ??

What are the advantages of this specific firmware ?? I tried to visit their Official Website however, it seems to be down !

Thanks,
Mahfuz.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2015

https://openwrt.org/ is much better than DD-WRT these days, however it doesn't seem to support your router. In any case, either of them is better than using the "stock" firmware.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Yes, DD-WRT is feature full for sure, and a great alternative to the home default flash. However, the occasional lockups are a huge issue because I need remote access to the home 24/7. You can't exactly unplug the router to reset it if your not at home and it's froze, again.

Should also add, it depends on what your router model is. I'm sure the stability issues are related. I've tried DD-WRT on Cicso, Linksys, and Netgear routers, all had the same issue.

Ended up with running PFSense. https://www.pfsense.org/ A fully dedicated router/server ;)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited December 2015

I have a DIR-605L too running as a private wireless bridge. I do not believe that the DIR-605L supports DD-WRT unfortunately.

That being said, DD-WRT has some really neat features. It's capable of setting up IPv6 Tunnelbrokers (with the new interface, doesn't need complicated scripts anymore), custom VLANs, Quality of Service (determining which services such as netflix and torrents receive the largest portion of bandwidth in terms of priority), bandwidth monitoring, custom hotspot hosting, USB storage/print servers, FreeRADIUS servers, FTP servers, the ability to setup VPN servers and clients, etc.

There's a ton of features and I definitely recommend flashing your router with DD-WRT if it is supported, but in this case, it is not. OpenWRT is far more powerful, but it lacks a web interface and I'm squeamish about the third party WebUIs.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Gunter said:
    I have a DIR-605L too running as a private wireless bridge. I do not believe that the DIR-605L supports DD-WRT unfortunately.

That being said, DD-WRT has some really neat features. It's capable of setting up IPv6 Tunnelbrokers (with the new interface, doesn't need complicated scripts anymore), custom VLANs, Quality of Service (determining which services such as netflix and torrents receive the largest portion of bandwidth in terms of priority), bandwidth monitoring, custom hotspot hosting, USB storage/print servers, FreeRADIUS servers, FTP servers, the ability to setup VPN servers and clients, etc.

There's a ton of features and I definitely recommend flashing your router with DD-WRT if it is supported, but in this case, it is not. OpenWRT is far more powerful, but it lacks a web interface and I'm squeamish about the third party WebUIs.

Oh, Just checked from Websites other than DD-WRT official & it seems it's not supported :/ In general, is it possible to get back to stock firmware if an user doesn't like DD-WRT anymore ??

• @netomx your assistance required

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL netomx is Router GOD of LET

• DH22DH22 Member
    edited December 2015

I was a big fan of DD-WRT way back on the original Linksys WRT54G routers. However for other routers I have tried it has either been buggy (usually the basic functions are OK, but I use DD-WRT for vlans and other more advanced features) or the performance (speed or WiFi stability) has taken a significant hit. Given you can get an Ubiquity Edgerouter X for around $50 USD I no longer bother with DD-WRT. For wifi you'll need a separate wifi access point since Edgerouter does not provide wifi. I usually use Unifi access points which are a good value.

Mikrotik is another cheap but advanced router option that does offer models with built in WiFi, but I have not used Mikrotik yet myself.

I recommend stock firmware over DD-WRT in most cases unless stock firmware is not stable.

Thanked by 2netomx michaelphan
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Gunter said: lacks a web interface

LuCI is official GUI,

I would try to flash this one: https://github.com/utessel/edimax

The problem is that the chipset used on that router is not supported on OpenWRT. You can use DD-WRT, and enable SSH, so it will feel like a normal linux box.

Suggestion? Get an Atheros router

• Better than the personal routers default software. Not as good as a grown up router...

edited December 2015

netomx said: Suggestion? Get an Atheros router

Yep Atheros-based TP-Link routers are all I use, they are awesome and work with OpenWRT well.

Thanked by 2netomx bashed

rm_ said: TP-Link

ALL THE WAY. TP-Link and Atheros has excellent compatibility.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@netomx said:
    ALL THE WAY. TP-Link and Atheros has excellent compatibility.

God damn ! I bought D-Link over TP-Link 6 Months ago because the salesman praised D-Link ! -_- Now, I have to bought another :/ How's NetGear to use DD-WRT / OpenWRT ??

edited December 2015

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Now, I have to bought another :/ How's NetGear to use DD-WRT / OpenWRT ??

Check OpenWRT table of hardware before you buy anything: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
    and page for the particular router you plan on buying, to see if there are any issues, or if you need to pick/avoid specific versions.

Thanked by 1netomx

^^

always.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: God damn ! I bought D-Link over TP-Link 6 Months ago because the salesman praised D-Link ! -_- Now, I have to bought another :/ How's NetGear to use DD-WRT / OpenWRT ??

I'm using Xiaomi Mini wifi, it's working great than any other AC router, but for $20 USD we can't expect more :3

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @giang said:
    I'm using Xiaomi Mini wifi, it's working great than any other AC router, but for $20 USD we can't expect more :3

And what firmware you are using now? Stock, or..?

• NanoG6 said: And what firmware you are using now? Stock, or..?

I'm using Padavan firmware, source code available at: https://gitlab.com/Track/xrmwrt (you much build it yourself :3).

The stock firmware is good too, the newest dev firmware version 2.7.63 combine both 2.4 and 5G wifi to one and will choose it for your device when your device connect to the router.

The only reason I don't use stock firmware is they are tracking your visit (just like OpenDNS) and they don't support VLAN for IPTV.

Thanked by 1netomx

@giang said:

The trunk version of openwrt works great on these ones, and for $20, 5ghz, usb, 16mb rom and 128mb ram, is a steal

Thanked by 1rm_
  • ddwrt is good on broadcom based routers but still buggy with 5ghz. not alot of atheros support even though atheros works great on linux. Openwrt is great but ddwrt has a nice interface and easy to use. Sometimes the stock firmware is better than ddwrt, sometimes ddwrt is better.

• Same, i started using ddwrt with the linksys wrt54g. only had 2mb of flash so found the right version and started playing with the external antennas, even making my own.

@DH22 said:
    I was a big fan of DD-WRT way back on the original Linksys WRT54G routers. However for other routers I have tried it has either been buggy (usually the basic functions are OK, but I use DD-WRT for vlans and other more advanced features) or the performance (speed or WiFi stability) has taken a significant hit. Given you can get an Ubiquity Edgerouter X for around $50 USD I no longer bother with DD-WRT. For wifi you'll need a separate wifi access point since Edgerouter does not provide wifi. I usually use Unifi access points which are a good value.

Mikrotik is another cheap but advanced router option that does offer models with built in WiFi, but I have not used Mikrotik yet myself.

I recommend stock firmware over DD-WRT in most cases unless stock firmware is not stable.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Xiaomi Mini wifi...made in China? Now I realized how they're hacking into the US! LOL

• OpenWRT is great if you have a device that supports it, on my 5Ghz router it's perfect!

You might miss out on hardware NAT/cryptography with custom firmware and suffer a performance hit, but being able to stream a USB webcam, use hardware serial to remotely control something like an Arduino and GPIO to reboot a raspberry pi when it crashes sure makes up for it!

Thanked by 1netomx

oneilonline said: made in China?

like everything else?

Thanked by 2GM2015 rm_
  • I have been using Xiaomi Mini wifi too with no complaints at all. OpenWRT / XRMWRT is supported.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I'm sure dd-wrt is great, but Tomato shows realtime bandwidth graphs for both vlan and individual IPs. Like this:

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • Havent used tomato yet, just dd-wrt / broadcom openwrt / atheros and merlin for asus routers.

• OpenWRT and Tomato are indeed a more modern choice then DD-WRT. If you want to play with OpenWRT before flashing your main modem, check out the GL-INET. It's a small $25 device with wireless and two ethernet ports, powered by USB, fully supported in upstream openwrt: https://revspace.nl/GL-iNet

Thanked by 2bashed netomx
  • not bad i have a wr703 myself the specs r nice for messing around with openwrt might just buy one now lol.

• Raymii said: OpenWRT and Tomato are indeed a more modern choice then DD-WRT. If you want to play with OpenWRT before flashing your main modem, check out the GL-INET. It's a small $25 device with wireless and two ethernet ports, powered by USB, fully supported in upstream openwrt: https://revspace.nl/GL-iNet

Well, did you check NEXX WT3020F?

http://www.gearbest.com/networking-communication/pp_270587.html

Half of the price with more powerful CPU :3

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Using OpenWRT. Would not go back to stock.

• how fast is the cpu? dont see it on the site