Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP location or physical location, who counts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP location or physical location, who counts?

If a server is physically located in a country, let's say France, however, the IP address belongs to another country, let's say Germany. In this case, does this VPS count as a French or a German VPS?

Comments

• It will be where it is physically.

If you're expecting to change the geo tag on an IP to say, Antarctica, and go "I've got an Antarctica based VPS" you're out of luck, it doesn't move 18273812783km (or miles, or whatever)

Thanked by 1elgs
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Always physically.

Some VPN companies such as PureVPN get away with the marketing. Their server is physically located in Brazil, but they advertise it as being in Belize. This is an example of IP GeoLocation, and many lookups utilise databases such as MaxMind. There is always inaccuracies.

Advice - Don't get fooled and always check the traceroute.

Thanked by 2elgs WSCallum
  • AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited December 2015

elgs said: In this case, does this VPS count as a French or a German VPS?

The physical location always matters when it comes to latency. For other things it depends on the purpose for which you want the VPS. If you want it to host a website then for SEO whatever the geo IP mapping is will matter. If it's for a VPN then the virtual location matters in order to unblock geographically restricted content.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I've got a RamNode VPS that is physically in NY city. However most geolocation services show it as being in Georgia, which I believe is where the company is registered. That's a discrepancy of about 1000 miles. I notice too that with my home IP it also varies wildly depending on the phases of the moon and the price of pork.

Of course latency will relate to actual physical location of the server, but geolocation services spew garbage. They do however seem to be able to tell what country in which the server is located. That's good in Lichtenstein or Monaco, but not so impressive in USA.

• Ole_Juul said: Of course latency will relate to actual physical location of the server, but geolocation services spew garbage. They do however seem to be able to tell what country in which the server is located. That's good in Lichtenstein or Monaco, but not so impressive in USA.

Well, it's a matter of perspective. The less accurate geolocation of home IPs are, the happier I am.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited December 2015

singsing said: Well, it's a matter of perspective. The less accurate geolocation of home IPs are, the happier I am.

Totally agree. :) My ISP gets IPs from a larger company that covers two Canadian provinces, and the variation can be a couple of hundred miles either way.

Off topic, and on a side note: It used to be even better for me privacy wise. Most people on this ISP are natted to a single IP so without a subpoena they're quite anonymous. For obvious reasons I asked the ISP for a fixed IP (no charge) which is also clean compared to the shared one.

• Is your question related to HEG/dF by any chance?

• @elgs said:
    If a server is physically located in a country, let's say France, however, the IP address belongs to another country, let's say Germany. In this case, does this VPS count as a French or a German VPS?

In relation to what? To the SEO? In that case, it makes REALLY no difference, provided that you geolocalized the VPS through the webmaster tools.

• singsing said: Well, it's a matter of perspective. The less accurate geolocation of home IPs are, the happier I am.

One of our 4G LTEs geolocates to the town the owner is located in, which has like 1000 people... worries me.

The other one geolocates to like Bregenz, which is like on the other side of Austria....

Anyway, OT: Geolocation tricks and selling then as "located in $GEO" is not only stupid but plain and simple fraud (at least in EU) as you sell something you never intended to provide and don't have at all.

Thanked by 1elgs