Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dropbox Going Back to Its Roots
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dropbox Going Back to Its Roots

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited December 2015 in General

Hello Nekki,

It's with heavy hearts that we let you know Mailbox will shut down on February 26, 2016.

Mailbox ignited a shift in mobile email and many of its innovations are now ubiquitous across the industry. It’s been a great journey, and we’re proud of this impact and grateful to the community that helped make it possible.

When the Mailbox team joined Dropbox in 2013, we shared a passion for simplifying the way people work together. And solving the email problem seemed like a strong complement to the challenges Dropbox was already tackling.

But as we’ve increased our focus on collaboration, we realized there’s only so much an email app can do to fundamentally improve email. We’ve come to believe that the best way for us to improve people’s productivity going forward is to streamline the workflows that generate so much email in the first place.

We know saying goodbye to Mailbox will be hard for many. To help make the transition to a new email client easier, we’ve created guides and export tools. For more information about how we’ll be winding down Mailbox, please visit the Mailbox website.

Thank you to everyone who helped bring Mailbox to life, whether by spreading the word, letting us know what you liked (and didn’t like), or simply using the product. You taught us so much, and we’re deeply grateful.

—The Mailbox Team

... and ....

Dear Netomx,

When we introduced Carousel in April 2014, we believed a standalone app would be a better way to experience photos. We’re proud to have created a photo app that many of you use and love. However, over the past year and a half, we’ve learned the vast majority of our users prefer the convenience and simplicity of interacting with their photos directly inside of Dropbox. With this in mind, we’ve had to make a difficult decision.

On March 31st, we’re shutting down Carousel as a standalone app and returning to a single Dropbox photo experience. Carousel has always been a way to view and interact with photos stored in Dropbox. All the photos in your Carousel timeline will remain safe in your Dropbox where they’ve always been. If you have photos you received through conversations or shared albums that you want to save, check out the instructions in our Help Center.

After Carousel shuts down you’ll still be able to view and share your photos in the Photos tab on the web and in your Dropbox mobile apps. In the coming months, we’ll integrate some key features of Carousel into the core Dropbox app. For more details, check out our Help Center.

Thank you for using Carousel, and for all the love and feedback along the way. And more than that, thank you for letting us be part of the memories and moments you share with one another.

The Carousel Team

I've never used any of these other than claiming their free storage.

Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
Good news?
  1. Yeah40 votes
    1. No
      35.00%
    2. More popcorn to the show!
      65.00%

Comments

• wtf about the poll. never mind

• @GM2015 said:
    wtf about the poll. never mind

Hi Nekkomx

• I got the carousel email, I looked at the subject and didn't even read it since I had no idea what I was. I have the mailbox app but don't use. I have I tied to my one domain on Google apps, but I can use the integrated client or the Gmail app if I want.

• Companies always have to emphasize how great their product was, when discontinuing it.

Thanked by 2ATHK joepie91
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I use the mailbox app for the instant email notifications. Guess it is time to start looking for an alternative.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Well, the products were great, that's why they'll be discontinued. They'll either rebrand it and repackage or just go with dropbox as these might have been unprofitable. Who nose nowadays.

edit: can't write at 4am

4n0nx said: Companies always have to emphasize how great their product was, when discontinuing it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I like those tags :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

I really liked Mailbox. I wish companies would stop buying things I like and then deciding they're bored with them later :(

But... Dropbox has some really exciting things ahead and I'd keep the popcorn handy. They're not going to be fading away in the cloud storage market any time soon.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

They're not buying colocrossing and making ColoMX next year, are they?

I remember you've said somewhere you liked dropbox because of its sync.

I also read the 3 letter us agency likes it too.

Fun thing is dropbox runs on aws. You can see amazon aws ip ranges with netstat and such.

Pinterest.com and wish.com also roll on aws.

jarland said: But... Dropbox has some really exciting things ahead and I'd keep the popcorn handy.

edited December 2015

GM2015 said: I remember you've said somewhere you liked dropbox because of its sync.

That and gotta support friends that have moved over to that direction of employment ;)

I'm pretty optimistic about their future. Though, I still want a $2.50/m 250GB package lol

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Yeah, but server side encryption sucks when it comes to "cloud" storage.

jarland said: That and gotta support friends that have moved over to that direction of employment ;)

I'm pretty optimistic about their future.

Thanked by 1jar

GM2015 said: Yeah, but server side encryption sucks when it comes to "cloud" storage.

Yeah, privacy isn't really their strength. I mean, good security just.... not privacy in a you vs them situation. They can get to your stuff, as we've seen in news stories. Decent privacy for an "I trust them with my data" situation.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

I'm trying owncloud 8.2. I first got owncloud around 8.0.x version and 8.1.x. 8.2 is new to me, so will see how sync works on it.

8.0 and 8.1 had lots of file sync issues. I don't know whether because of server side encryption enabled or not.

jarland said: Yeah, privacy isn't really their strength. I mean, good security just.... not privacy in a you vs them situation. They can get to your stuff, as we've seen in news stories. Decent privacy for an "I trust them with my data" situation.

@GM2015 said:
    I'm trying owncloud 8.2. I first got owncloud around 8.0.x version and 8.1.x. 8.2 is new to me, so will see how sync works on it.

8.0 and 8.1 had lots of file sync issues. I don't know whether because of server side encryption enabled or not.

Give Pydio a shot too. I know, I'm not fond of anything that started out as a web-based file manager for people who don't know how to server, but it's matured quite nicely. Has a sync client and all.

• @GM2015 God I hated the sync with owncloud when I last used it, couldn't sync the root of my owncloud, multiple computers syncing to the same folder would break it. Switch to using Syncthing for the syncing and owncloud as the front.

@Jarland then I switched to using pydio in the front and syncthing in the back. Not sure which I like better though. Owncloud and Pydio let me do the things I want.

Thanked by 1jar
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Where's the poll option for "never heard about either of those".

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • I was pretty satisfied with Mailbox. Carousel I also downloaded but never used too much. Uploading huge photos without WIFI was consuming too much of my monthly GSM quota.

• I didn't even know these things existed

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Yeah, you can still get free storage! At least in theory on dropbox!

hostnoob said: I didn't even know these things existed

Vote for popcorn!

rm_ said: Where's the poll option for "never heard about either of those"

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

In my personal experience, the only people who can produce problem-free syncing are Dropbox and Google Drive. OneDrive is very iffy/buggy (both personal and business)...lots of resyncs, files that don't show up, restart to get it going again, etc. iCloud is OK for backups but for some reason when I tried the file sync it seemed slow.

I haven't tried OwnCloud or pydio.

@raindog308 said:
    I haven't tried OwnCloud or pydio.

Imperfect as well. For me Dropbox has been hands down the best at sync, with iCloud in a very distant second.

• GM2015 said: Who nose

who knows*

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

spell check guy is 3 words, not one. so can I ask a mod to ban you so you can reregister and live up to your name?

spellcheckguy said: who knows*