Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows or Linux, which is easier for beginners?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows or Linux, which is easier for beginners?

Hi everyone,

I would like to hear your opinions on what OS is better or easier for a beginner, someone that wants to manage or work their hosting themselves but really don't know much.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Why type of hosting? The easiest for web hosting would be to install CPanel. CPanel only runs on Linux.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Stay away from windows. if you grow your site on windows, you may find yourself with tons of fees just for the sake of damn hosting:

windows licence fees

whatever they charge for fancy names

possibly windows sql

new 2016 server fees in the future

Linux:

Mostly free

Free webserver

Free database

Free PHP manager

I've no idea how to host in windows. I've used a WAMP installer and a simple php-myadmin was incredibly slow.

Thanked by 2Droid michaelphan
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Definitely Linux.

• DAC said: someone that wants to manage or work their hosting themselves but really don't know much

Depends what kind of hosting we are talking about.

If you want to do anything more than hosting static pages and/or Wordpress, there will be a learning curve regardless which OS is chosen.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

oneilonline said: CPanel only runs on Linux.

not technically true,

and windows probably. IIS+PHP+ mysql is a 2 min job.

• I love Windows desktop versions, and wouldn't recommend any Linux distros, but when it comes to servers I would say Linux is much better and easier to learn (especially Debian based)

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@TarZZ92 said:
    not technically true, and windows probably. IIS+PHP+ mysql is a 2 min job.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Installation+Guide+-+System+Requirements

Yea, you can run CPanel on Windows but you would have to hack at it to death to get it to run, not necessarily easy. "IIS+PHP+ mysql is a 2 min job." yea, if you know what you are doing. XAMPP doesn't take that long to run on Windows, but isn't exactly an production enterprise setup.

I think Linux is the best option, the cost alone is minimal compared to all the windows licensing.

For a beginner I would recommend to start Googling and researching, you'll learn!

• oneilonline said: Yea, you can run CPanel on Windows

Enkompass :)

• Most of software are open sourced on linux, which gives you the possibility to understand every bit of your problem:)

• Some games require windows server.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

GM2015 said: I've used a WAMP installer

Just in case anybody else has this idea: Do not use WAMP for production servers. Ever. WAMP was designed for local development use, and makes no effort to secure your installation in the context of an internet-accessible server.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Linux !!!

• I find it easier to install stuff on Linux than on Windows.

• linux

• Linux is easier because you won't learn the wrong way to do it, and have to make an embarrassing change of direction once you realise what you've done...

• Linux for hosting .

• If you are using win in your own pc, then win

otherwise, linux.

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

To fall in love with interfaces try windows, To rock with servers try linux

• lewissue said:
    If you are using win in your own pc, then win

otherwise, linux.

I use Windows on my PC, but I fell in love with Linux <3

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Easier for a beginner can be Win products. Really depends on the niche you try to enter.

• For game and vps (guaranteed resources like Hyper-V) hosting it's easier with WinServ I think but for things like webserver or Java game hosting it's Linux. Hard to make a decision.

• OpenVMS

• At beginners level even if you chose Linux or windows; a control panel like cPanel, VestaCP (free) or Plesk will help you to manage server easily (DNS, Webserver, Mail etc .. ).

• Linux most definitely for hosting needs, a beginner can simply use cpanel and host their sites that way, just need a little troubleshooting knowledge necessary for the usual apache or sql issues.

• If we talk about hosting/server best answer is Linux, because its use minimal resource of our machine and its free.
    and if we talk about daily use, i would choose windows. because many program that we need for daily use available in windows, like most game this day run best in windows.

and if you are a beginner in linux, dont worry, use google :D

• For servers I choose BSD & Linux (nix), for desktop I use Windows, for Laptop I use Debian desktop with CodeWeaver (paid version of wine) so I can also run some windows applications and games.

• all i can say is go with whatever you are comfortable with, otherwise linux is always better in every way.

• namhuy said: all i can say is go with whatever you are comfortable with, otherwise linux is always better in every way.

Linux is like democracy. It's the worst OS except for all the others.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • sentarumsentarum Member
    edited December 2015

I'm newbie 3 years ago, I'm using FreeBSD & Linux (Debian / Ubuntu), and it's easy to install webserver (Apache, Nginx, Hiawatha, Lighttpd, OpenLitespeed), PHP, and MariaDB (databases). or anything you want :)

There is tons tutorial you can find on the internet :)

• Thanks for your feedback and opinions. I appreciate it.