Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domain forwarding without running a server with CloudFlare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Domain forwarding without running a server with CloudFlare

CloudFlare has a great option in PageRules to set up URL forwarding. I can set it to *.example.com/* to redirect everything to a different domain.

My problem is that while this works perfectly, this needs valid A / CNAME records in the DNS page. For example a server or an S3 bucket. I don't get why is this needed, since no requests will ever hit the server via this forwarding.

My question is: is there a way to set up URL forwarding via CloudFlare which doesn't require running a server?

Comments

• Not via cloudflare, but the registrars(mine do) can forward all requests wherever you want to using their default ns servers. Probs not news sorry.

• Yes, just setup an A record that points to a random IP, turn CloudFlare on for the record and it will still work, even if the IP is invalid or not reachable.

• zserozsero Member
    edited December 2015

@tr1cky: no, unfortunately it won't work. I've set up my servers address and it gets a CloudFlare error page.

What seems to work is to set up a CNAME record to s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com. I have no idea why this works, but it seems to work.

• @tr1cky said:
    Yes, just setup an A record that points to a random IP, turn CloudFlare on for the record and it will still work, even if the IP is invalid or not reachable.

127.0.0.1 :)

• 127.0.0.1 is automatically bypassed, so it won't touch CloudFlare as well. That was my idea as well.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited December 2015

I know for a fact what @tr1cky said will work, because I've done that myself. Use 1.2.3.4, that's what I used before and it works just fine.