Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner new EX41 line
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner new EX41 line

exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
edited December 2015 in General

Today Hetzner launched new EX41 line. Besides new i7-6700 CPU I noticed they increased guaranteed bandwidth from 200Mbit/s to 1Gbit/s. The setup fee still seems quite high, but monthly price is totally more attractive now compared to their other servers. Out of this new line this one is a clear winner to me with 64GB of RAM for 39 euros/mo

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex41s

Hetzner EX41
  1. Would you buy one of those?68 votes
    1. Yes, definetely!
      22.06%
    2. I would, if not that crazy setup fee!
      45.59%
    3. No, this is still too expensive
      17.65%
    4. Just no
      14.71%

Comments

• I've heard they detect a lot of times ddos attacks coming from their own network, which are not ddos at all.

• While I really like Hetzner, a server without ECC RAM is not my cup of tea.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited December 2015

oh wow cheaper than my auction server but setup fees too high :(

• The setup fees is such a dealbreaker

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited December 2015

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

Those ssd options are pretty nice.

CW 2/16

As in, February 2016?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

We will permanently restrict the connection speed if more than 30 TB/month are used (the basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated). Optionally, the limit can be permanently cancelled by committing to pay € 1.17 per additional TB used.

Same old shitty hetzner.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

@rm_ said:
    Same old shitty hetzner.

You are (sometimes) such a bullshitter. Really. Not in general, but sometimes.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@DalComp said:
    CW 2/16
    As in, February 2016?

second calendar week of 2016

• @DalComp said:
    As in, February 2016?

No second Calendar Week. That's the week starting January 11. I guess it's a bit unusual for non Europeans to talk about calendar weeks.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited December 2015

Just ordered a EX41-SSD to test it out, received SSH details within 6 minutes of placing order.

Seems there using http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct500mx200ssd1

Will pop some benchmark's out shortly if people would like.

• To be fair, I'd prefur a lower setup fee and a higher monthly cost or what OVH/SYS do with a higher monthly cost until I've paid off the setup.

€79 setup is a little high just to test.

Oh and hetzner don't offer BGP sessions so that's a no no.

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited December 2015

@rmlhhd, Well.. they do offer BGP Sessions.. for at least 20U Colo's (+ €200 monthly fee + €300 setup)

It does seem that not many providers in DE will do it, well.. at least the common ones, without large colo plans etc.

• srvrprosrvrpro Member
    edited December 2015

While it looks like a nice server for a new provider, their IP prices is high and they only allow a /27 max per server.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

eh, 8k CPU Bench, get the same for less then 30 bucks from auction, with 32gig, and you save 70 bucks.

• @Infinity580 said:
    eh, 8k CPU Bench, get the same for less then 30 bucks from auction, with 32gig, and you save 70 bucks.

True, I guess your paying the setup fee for the new generation of CPU and the SSD's. Won't find 2 x 500GB SSD's on auction for same price. All down to what you need I guess!

• The EX41S-SSD is interesting, 64GB Ram and 2x250GB SSD for 39€.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

@srvrpro Hetzner allows a /27 per server, if you pay for it.

• AutoSnipe said: @rmlhhd, Well.. they do offer BGP Sessions.. for at least 20U Colo's (+ €200 monthly fee + €300 setup)

They do it for far less - Single colo already. Unlikely to work if you don't speak german and annoy them enough. For dedicated you can have them announce an IP range you can use like "failover" IPs then for a one time setup.

BGP as said not cheap though as you need another uplink for it for some reason as well.

• Crazy how they can guarantee 1Gbps

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited December 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Crazy how they can guarantee 1Gbps

They recently upgraded their backbone to 1.2tbps + external, and as they set a bandwidth limit they can estimate better.

• @patrick7 said:
    srvrpro Hetzner allows a /27 per server, if you pay for it.

Right, typo.

• Thanks for posting these deals! Does anyone know what does KVM-over-IP Remote Management mean?

At the moment I'm at Online.net and I'm installing FreeBSD from a bootonly ISO (they've put it to the NAS after I asked) over Dell iDRAC / HP ILO.

My question is that how could I install FreeBSD onto these Hetzner servers? Would I need to buy that crazy expensive KVM option? That costs 125 EUR setup + 15 EUR per month!

On the other hand they are saying that FreeBSD is supported. So what is the truth?

• @zsero said:
    Thanks for posting these deals! Does anyone know what does KVM-over-IP Remote Management mean?

At the moment I'm at Online.net and I'm installing FreeBSD from a bootonly ISO (they've put it to the NAS after I asked) over Dell iDRAC / HP ILO.

My question is that how could I install FreeBSD onto these Hetzner servers? Would I need to buy that crazy expensive KVM option? That costs 125 EUR setup + 15 EUR per month!

On the other hand they are saying that FreeBSD is supported. So what is the truth?

You can install it using their installimage script that lets you install a range of OS's including FreeBSD.

No need for the KVM.

• Thanks, but does it install an up-to-date minimal version, or just something they've made?

• 1.24 Tbit Bandwidth :(

• @xrz, I guess they mean Tbit/sec and it's for the whole datacenter. What you are looking for is the 30 TB / month bandwidth.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@zsero said:
    Thanks, but does it install an up-to-date minimal version, or just something they've made?

check this http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/FreeBSD_installieren/en

• @exception0x876 that's what I'm worried about, it says they are still on 10.1. I definitely don't want to start a clean machine with upgrading to 10.2.