Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good HDD for home computer (with long warranty..) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good HDD for home computer (with long warranty..)

2»

Comments

• @rm_ said:
    Debatable if the cheap shit you get today is better than back when it was a premium product.

Pretty much the case with everything nowadays, all cheap disposable stuff made in China.

Although I remember nightmares with the 'high storage' drives back in the day, because they had to stack more platters - definitely took awhile to work out the kinks. Have had to return a few 750GB-1.5TB drives in my day.

But still have some old 1TB WD Greens from 08-ish running good even after being migrated between a couple enclosures/machines over the years.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2015

I've never had a Seagate SSHD fail on me and I'm torrenting alot. Just bought a additional one

http://www.hardeschijfstore.nl/product/371289/seagate-desktop-sshd-1-tb.html

should be ok for another 4+ years.

• Mark_R said: I've never had a Seagate SSHD fail on me and I'm torrenting alot. Just bought a additional one

quite expensive for a 1TB drive..

• @TarZZ92 said:
    quite expensive for a 1TB drive..

So far it's been worth it, my old sshd drive from Seagate was in the same price range back in the days and its still working great. If i had bought a cheaper one it might would have already failed.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

Mark_R said: So far it's been worth it, my old sshd drive from Seagate was in the same price range back in the days and its still working great. If i had bought a cheaper one it might would have already failed.

but in reality they aint that much different to the normal drives (The momentus / Barracuda ), just a 8GB cache for boot and general bits.

i still have my old Momentus XT and it's still reliable after 14k hours, infact it's perfect but not really worth the investment though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

TarZZ92 said: Working Windows Server 2012 R2 on 6GB! Beat that!

Why is that remarkable? I run on 4GB without a problem; we have 2GB VMs at work.

• raindog308 said: Why is that remarkable? I run on 4GB without a problem; we have 2GB VMs at work.

6GB for a single install. that's HDD not RAM

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited December 2015

Not that I am that big on any drive brand. I have an older, second hand Seagate 160 GB notebook drive in my home server. The drive was put into the server as a temporary measure to run the OS, but 36600 hours (4+ years) later, it is still going. No plans to replace it until it dies.

At work, we have about 200 servers, desktops and laptops running a variety of drives of all ages and from 500 GB to 5 TB size and from all manufacturers. Cannot say that any drive is better then any as we do see the occasional failure across all brands.

• 2bb32bb3 Member
    edited December 2015

Mark_R said: I've never had a Seagate SSHD fail on me

TarZZ92 said: they aint that much different to the normal drives (The momentus / Barracuda ),

Weblogics said: Seagate

Hum Seagate is quite cheap - best price per TB I find in my area are with the Barracuda 3 To (ST3000DM001) but the failure rate seems pretty high if you trust the data given by @Hidden_Refuge !

Edit: even cheaper would be WE-HDD-3000-WD but it seems like it's a WD green sold by WE and without WD warranty so not sure it's worth it. Could make sense following @mikeyur idea about warranty. But Hitachi still seems to be the best built quality from what I read here and there... but it seems like there's also some luck involved when dealing with hard drives ;)

• Here's newer data about the failure rates if someone's interested

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/

• @drazilox said:
    Here's newer data about the failure rates if someone's interested

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/

Hehe. Seagate/Samsung went down to like 4%. Not bad. WD still bad...